Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
AirCard

Anybody have success with the laptop aircards (cellphone) for internet access on the road?

I was looking at the Cingular service.

I don't know much about them, but it seems logical they would be more reliable than hoping for wi-fi. Are they slow?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brad, I'm glad you asked this question. It's one of my favorite topics because we LOVE our aircard. We've had a Verizon aircard for almost 9 months now and have found very few places where it didn't work. Northern Michigan and very south Arizona are two places that come to mind.

First of all, you need to determine if your computer(s) take an aircard or an Express card, which is newer. Our computers both have Express card slots so we purchased a KR1 router. The card works in the router and gives us a wireless system so that we can both be online at the same time. We also have a Booster Antenna which may help our reception. All this was purchased at Booster-Antenna.com which seems to have better prices than Verizon itself. They also offer great support.

You may want to PM Adelmoll as they have had experience with both Cingular and Verizon and opted for Verizon. She can probably tell you which one will work best in the SW. You get a cheaper monthly rate if you have your cell phone with the particular company where you connect with your aircard.

In rural areas, the speed is faster than dialup. In urban areas it is often as fast as broadband.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Judy - thats a bunch of good info.

We do have service with Cingular - which was why I looked at them first. However, I will check with Adelmoll to see why they chose Verizon over Cingular. I'm not opposed to changing services if necessary to get better service.

The only downside to this will be work can contact me by email while on the road
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
We have had a Cingular Sierra 840 Air Card since Oct '06 and love it. It is very fast in the Cities and faster than dial up in Salome, AZ where we are now. The only place it hasn't worked in in a RV Park in Hoquim, WA. It was a unique location in that they were surrounded by hills, and no cell service was available in the park.

I have the national plan and can send and receive any amount of information.

John
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
John, different providers work better in different areas. That's why I referred Brad to Helen as they have traveled extensively and used both cards. I do know they switched exclusively to Verizon because they had a better connection experience with the Verizon card. But it depends on your location.

Our programs is also unlimited. I can be on the internet while Glen is driving down the road. Sure helps pass the time.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We switched from Cingular to Verizon about 3 years ago because we were disappointed with Cingular's coverage. We found we got generally better coverage in our travels when using Verizon. But, as these companies continue to expand their coverage through mergers and building more towers, the situation can change significantly. What was true 3 years ago may not be true today.
We have been using the Verizon air card for almost a year in the Monty and the stick house, and have been very pleased with it. My sister uses the Sprint version of the air card, and loves it.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I have an Alltel air card on my work laptop. With full bars, it is adequate at best. With less than full bars, its performance is sporatic and questionable. Sometimes email will be sent other times it will show as being sent and never received on the other end. Downloads from the internet seem to take forever. I suspect that it might be the Alltel coverage rather than the air card itself. It will be interesting to follow this post to see how other phone companies perform. Since our home cell phones are Verizon, we will be interested in those with Verizon experience.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We use the Verizon air card with the kr1 router. That way we can both be on at the same time. We really like it and haven't had any problems. We also purchased a booster antenna which we haven't hooked up yet and maybe we won't as it is working well. We are on the fringes here in Bastrop and are parked next to a metal building and under a metal roof.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We use the Verizon card and have had very good luck even in areas that were not on Verizon's map (Nebraska). Expected a bigger bill but still the same old price. The difference between Cingular and Verizon is the type of digital signal Verizon uses CDMA. Verizon I believe is the most compatible nation wide. Used our card in WY,SD,MN,WI,NE,KS,OK,TX,LA,AR,and MS without any problems. The only problem we have had was. They upgraded the VZAccess program and it doesn't upgrade unless you go the the sight and download it. Then dump the old program and reinstall the new one. This is info for those using their cards over 6 months with the same program. The new program works much better with the card. Call tech support and they will walk you through the program change. Also Verizon tech support told me they were expanding their broadband access to all locations over the next year or two.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the same set up as Glen and Judy (Verizon) using it now in Quartzsite..54 Mbps, signal strength excellent (5 bars) Right now Verizon has broadband access in the most markets( check it out)If you are traveling around the country you need to find out which provider serves the most markets.Right now it is Verizon..maybe next year Cingular that is why we took a 1 year contract with Verizon on the aircard and kept our Cingular Cell phone..just in case.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
That has to be lightning fast, I'm running cable at home and all I can get is 3Mbps. Think I'll get that for my desktop.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote