Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Norcold 1200(FIXED)

We are still here in Vegas and the other day Betsy went to get some ice cream and poured it into a glass. I noticed the frost was getting a bit thick so took all the frozen food out and did a fast defrost. Then turned fridge to 9 for a fast recovery the freezer is now at about 30 degrees and the fridge is well over 45 and the temp is still set for 9. I realized that last year we got the Good Sam's extended warranty so Monday I will have to call them and see what they can do. We are still workamping so dragging the rig in for repairs is not an option. I have checked the entire fridge compartment and found no evidence of leakage (yellow stains) so not sure what is happening. It worked find in Q. Will keep you advised as to outcome..

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Dave,

We are going thru the same thing.....working fine then all of a sudden...frig goes to 50 and freezer thaws out, this lasted 2 days...we run he frig on elec so I turned it off for 20 min, disconnected sensor on fins and switched to propane and set at 9. Frig went back to working and temp went back down to mid 30's in lower compartment and mid teens in freezer. Switched back to electric and now staying at same levels.

Have read that this seems to be common with the Norcolds which makes me skeptical as to why they don't have a fix or a reason why it happens.

Keep us updated.

Les
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Dave,

We are going thru the same thing.....working fine then all of a sudden...frig goes to 50 and freezer thaws out, this lasted 2 days...we run he frig on elec so I turned it off for 20 min, disconnected sensor on fins and switched to propane and set at 9. Frig went back to working and temp went back down to mid 30's in lower compartment and mid teens in freezer. Switched back to electric and now staying at same levels.

Have read that this seems to be common with the Norcolds which makes me skeptical as to why they don't have a fix or a reason why it happens.

Keep us updated.

Les
Dave,
We had the very same experience. Try unplugging the fridge on the outside for a few minutes....then plug it back in.....sounds stupid, but it worked for us!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Will try that today

Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another possibility is a bad thermistor. We have always run our refer at 7 and in January the temps went up. Running it at 9 didn't get it back down to normal. Dick and Jackie Driver had a spare thermistor and once it was installed (very easy job), the temps are back to normal at 7. They only cost about $25 at most RV parts places and may save you a trip.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Carl, thanks for jogging my memory, this happened in South Carolina about 3 yrs ago and I bought 2 extra thermistors. I just yanked the old one off and installed one of the new ones. Hopefully that is the problem. Thanks again..
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The old 'Reboot' try it every time you have a problem with anything with a circuit board in it.
Good luck with the problem Dave.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Not sure if it has any effect on the problem, but the newer Norcolds do go thru a sort of defrost cycle to keep ice from forming on the cooling fins. It's not self defrosting as in a home fridge, but maybe it's getting confused and staying in that defrost mod and the re-boot resets things. Just a thought
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did not see any signs of leaking when ours went out in the 06 3400 last winter. However when it was replaced the repairman showed me where it had a very slow leak
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
It appears that we may be back in business. The temp is back into the "safe" area and the freezer is back around zero. I think the slow drop is because the fridge is till pretty full of food. If it hits the "freezy" area tonight or tomorrow I will stop worrying.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

It appears that we may be back in business. The temp is back into the "safe" area and the freezer is back around zero. I think the slow drop is because the fridge is till pretty full of food. If it hits the "freezy" area tonight or tomorrow I will stop worrying.
Did you do the reboot?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I replaced the thermistor and did a complete electrical reboot in that I disconnected both 120 and 12 volt from fridge for 10 minutes then re energized. I did not do the reset on the control board because I had no error codes. It seems to be working now, the freezer is back down to -6 and the fridge is in the 33 degree range at the moment. Once again Carl thanks for the memory jog..
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Yea, Dave. Love it when an MOC plan comes together w/a positive result! Congrats.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote