Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
sabeaulieu
Established Member

M.O.C. #8582
dvd player

has anyone had a problem with their dvd player in the montana3400?
We have ours replaced once and now we need a new one after only useing it a few times.It starts to play then it skips then stpos altogether.

sabeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The DVD players have been a constant problem. At some point it hits the trash and you get a real one, like Sony or Panasonic. I have not reached that point yet, but I am on my second unit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad is exactly right. I am on my fourth one (this one is a Quest 4000 - started with the 2000). So far working great, but I am only using the 5.1 amp part of it, as I have a Samsung Blu-Ray, which like most Blu-Rays, does NOT have their own amp. Therefore, when they the installers came out to rig up my new system last year, and I wanted to use this Quest 4000 for target practice, my tech warned me off as I was reaching for my deer rifle, saying I had to keep it for the 5.1 system to work on the Blu-Ray player.

Someone just noted in a recent post that the Quest (latest version) has Sony guts. I would definitely want a confirmation on that, though.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Correct - Sony guts not the Sony name on the box is what the Keystone Montana rep told me two weeks ago. He also said the 2009 Montana is now coming with the Quest 4500. Anyone have a Quest 4500 yet?

My question is this - our Monty is being delivered in about 4 weeks - Does the Quest unit support the DVD, Surround, Antenna, Cable and Sat in, and the switching from one to the other in the LR and BR?

Thanks much - Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William O. Phillips

Correct - Sony guts not the Sony name on the box is what the Keystone Montana rep told me two weeks ago. He also said the 2009 Montana is now coming with the Quest 4500. Anyone have a Quest 4500 yet?

My question is this - our Monty is being delivered in about 4 weeks - Does the Quest unit support the DVD, Surround, Antenna, Cable and Sat in, and the switching from one to the other in the LR and BR?

Thanks much - Bill
Thanks, Bill. I knew someone posted that. In answer to your other question, I believe that would be a "yes", but someone would have to confirm that. I still have the 4000 - until I turn this one in on warranty somewhere down the road...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Not exactly sure what your asking, but the Quest is not a video switcher, just a fancy DVD player. There is video out for the DVD (RGB type), and audio in/out. Thats about it, at least with the 4000 model.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Brad is exactly right. I am on my fourth one (this one is a Quest 4000 - started with the 2000). So far working great, but I am only using the 5.1 amp part of it, as I have a Samsung Blu-Ray, which like most Blu-Rays, does NOT have their own amp. Therefore, when they the installers came out to rig up my new system last year, and I wanted to use this Quest 4000 for target practice, my tech warned me off as I was reaching for my deer rifle, saying I had to keep it for the 5.1 system to work on the Blu-Ray player.

Someone just noted in a recent post that the Quest (latest version) has Sony guts. I would definitely want a confirmation on that, though.
The new DVD player with the SONY Guts that I heard of was the AVR-6000. I installed mine last weekend and so far so good. It is not a video switcher and it's output only goes to the LR television. It does have two AUX inputs (I have my tv sound output routed to one of those so I can play cable, TV or satelite programs through the surround sound). It also has a USB port on the front for displaying pictures and an input jack for portable players (MP3, IPOD etc.)

See my post with picture under the "Let us entertain you" thread
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
We too are on our second Quest..this one the 4000. Unfortunately the 1 year warranty is out so I'm trashing it and going to Best Buy. Only used it about 3 times too. I'm hoping I can just get the player with all the same functions, but no speakers since they're working fine. This one doesn't read dvds anymore.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Harry, make sure whatever you get has an amp in it w/ 5.1 surround sound capability. Many DVD/Blu-Ray players do not automatically come with that...
Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
After my 4th replacement, I bought a Pasnasonic SA-PT660. I kept their existing speakers. All these units will come with their own speakers, tho, and you'll have to cut off the ends off the Panasonic speakers and add them to the existing Quest speakers to fit into the head unit, but it works wonderfully otherwise. Am very happy. It's a bit nicer, with iPod connectivity and a 5 disc changer, but it's the most basic system they sell.

While I wish that Keystone would fix it and do right (and morally they should perhaps), the practicality of the matter is it wasn't worth my time and even the gas of getting it over to my dealer to agree that it was defective and then get me another one (which would also be defective).

Problems I had with the Quest were cut outs of the volume, pops, and then unable to play discs half way thru. Each one had it's own personality as to which problem it would have!
mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
We our on our Fifth DVD player. Call me stubborn. Each one of the previous units failed in a different manor. Bedroom speakers wouldn't work. Bad Disk error. Quiting half way thru playing of a movie. The FM radio wouldn't receive any stations. This unit now is working flawlessly. We have had it for about 2 months now. We have owned our Monty for 10 months now and I figure if its under warranty, might as well keep getting it replaced. Oh, I am only staying about 3 miles away from the RV dealer so the cost of gas really isn't an issue with me either of taking it back and picking up a new one. I just take the player, not the whole Monty in to have it replaced. Don't know if this information will help you or not in making the choice in to keep exchanging or just replacing the unit with another brand. Just my 2 cents worth of information
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #12
brnscofrnld

M.O.C. #8120
We have a 3485 with a DVD player that gave out a few weekends ago.

The question I have is, can an all in one DVD player with built in AMP and speakrs be used in its place? I'm talking a nice Sony or Panasonic system.

Can the Stock speakers be removed from their current positions and the ones that come with the new system be mounted in the same place using the existing wires?

The TV that came with the unit is a HDTV LCD but the max resolution on it i believe is only 720 so I don't want to bother with Blu-Ray. Heck, we don't even have one at home yet.
brnscofrnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Question 1: I couldn't find a Blu-Ray DVD combo player/amp - had to keep my QR4000 for the amp part to drive the speakers for my Blu-Ray. Maybe you will have better luck finding a regular DVD player w/ built in amp.

Question 2: Yes.

I am sure that LCD HDTVs put in Montanas are all 720 right now. 1080 is still too expensive for them to use. My Blu-Ray and Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p is spectacular to say the least. I am not sure on the difference for a Blu-Ray with a 720 compared to reg DVD.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
as I posted before I took my 4th Quest 4000 back and asked the dealer (CW) to buy be out and I would buy a new Panasonic from Best Buys. They contacted Keystone and allowed me 188.50 to buy me out. I went to best buys bought a home theather and its the smartest thing I have ever done to resolve this problem.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckD

as I posted before I took my 4th Quest 4000 back and asked the dealer (CW) to buy be out and I would buy a new Panasonic from Best Buys. They contacted Keystone and allowed me 188.50 to buy me out. I went to best buys bought a home theather and its the smartest thing I have ever done to resolve this problem.
After 4 bad units my dealer volunteered to buy me out also at $200 plus tax and I jumped on that deal and bought a decent unit.
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Is the replacement units warrantied from the time they are replaced by Montana or do we have to chase after Quest.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #17
brnscofrnld

M.O.C. #8120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Question 1: I couldn't find a Blu-Ray DVD combo player/amp - had to keep my QR4000 for the amp part to drive the speakers for my Blu-Ray. Maybe you will have better luck finding a regular DVD player w/ built in amp.

Question 2: Yes.
Thanks, I'll be keeping my eyes out for a nice DVD home theater in a box set up. Might get lucky and find one that will up convert from the DVD standard of 480 to 720.
brnscofrnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
brnscofrnld, My Samsung upconverts to 1080. However, I was told by several sources that to buy a 32" LCD TV with more than 720 resolution is a waste because "at that size, the human eye can't really tell the difference" A larger set, yes, but not 32" or smaller. I did go with a seperate DVD and AV Receiver, A Yamaha 7.1 Surround Sound Amp, then, I have the space to put them in my 3400.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Phil, I can see the difference on my 32". Some TV stations broadcast in 720. Ex: When NASCAR went from Fox HD to TNT HD, I could tell the difference. Fox was clearer and sharper.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Glad to hear it Dave!!! I guess my eyes are just getting old......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote