Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Skylight in shower - revisted

I have read the threads on this subject and I am looking for some suggestions on hardware to solve the issue with an idea I have.

I would like to install two three sided tracks on the frame using the screws that are in place now for the frame. The track opening should be less than 1/4". I would use either plywood, lexan or cardboard that would slide into the tracks to block the light. Or the slide piece could be screwed in place with a wing top screw to keep it in place during travel. The slide piece could be easily removed, or a partial piece could be used to just block some of the light & heat.

The key to this is the track. I looked in Lowes at wire molding but I think that is too heavy and too wide. I would drill a hole in the bottom side of the track to get a screw driver in there to screw the top side of the track to the existing frame. Has anyone come across any three sided plastic or wood molding or track that I could use?

Doug

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
You could take some 1/2 X 3/4 parting stop, and make a frame out of that. Before assembly, put it on a table saw and make a groove. Put it together and attach with what you would want. I am the type that doesn't like new holes, so I would line it up with the screws that are there - are there screws like the vents in the bottom?
Otherwise, I would just use Velcro...very easy and no holes.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
First, a simple fix for the heat issue. Remove the inner frame and lense ... put a piece of bubblewrap (large bubble style) between the 2 lenses, then replace the frame. You won't believe how that simple install blocks out the heat.
I was thinking about how to make a stylish and functional retractable skylight cover myself. I think you'll run into a problem with the shower moisture and plywood. I'm leaning toward making an oak frame to fit around the skylight. Route a groove in its interior sides, then place one of those pleated shades in the groove securing the shade to one end. Finish it off staining it to match the rest of the fiver. If I get it done I'll post photos.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Good ideas. Never thought about creating my own channels.
I would not leave the "shade" in place during showers. That is why I wanted it to be easily removed.
The screws are on the bottom of the frame Ozzie - I would use the existing holes as you indicated.
I like the skylight so I would not want to change it permanently.

I am on the road for the next four months so I don't have access to the necessary tools, so I will look for a shop on the road where I can make the channels.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doug
Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
If you really are onto the channel idea, instead find some solid vinyl.
One product I know you could use is solid vinyl brickmould. A 12' piece will set you back maybe 15 bucks from Lowes or Home Depot and yield plenty of material to make what you want. A tablesaw is your friend.
If you make it of vinyl, it won't deteriorate from the humid conditions... Watch the material for the screws too if you want it to last.

Heh...us carpenter types like to build what we want...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We velcroed a window shade (the kind that you buy in Camping World) to the shower skylight but the velcro wouldn't hold. So...DW removed the screws and screwed the velcro to the frame using the existing screws, then she put velcro on the shade adding staples to keep the velcro from coming loose in the heat and it works great. The shade stays put and the light doesn't wake us up early, however, our 10year old grandson does.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If anyone uses the bubblewrap idea, I found using three layers of bubblewrap does a really good job blocking the heat and also seriously diffuses the light. It doesn't darken. You could put some darkening material between the bubblewrap for that. Or just paint the skylight a dark color.

The skylight dome is two pieces. One comes out with the frame. Put the bubblewrap on that. It helps to make the bubblewrap a bit large and tape it in place so the tape will not be seen when reinstalled. The bubblewrap is then squeezed up against the upper, fixed dome when you remount the dome and frame, with bubblewrap. That inner dome could be painted on top if you prefer permanent darkness from that skylight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We just used a piece of heavy black material, put a hem around it and 6 pieces of 1/2" square Velcro and it's works great. Also made two for the ceiling vents. Jackie has a hard time sleeping when it's bright in the bedroom in the morning.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We use those aluminum quilted vent covers from Camping world.
As per posting on this forum. threw away the Velcro strips supplied by the manufacture and bought some industrial grade Velcro.
Has worked pretty good for the last year and a half, but we have not been down south in the heat .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We pulled our bottom piece down and used a dark piece of fabric to cover it. Then put the bubble wrap in there for the heat. Works great and you can get the fabric of choice at Wally World. Could even use a print fabric with your choice of ?.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I did what Steve suggested and use the bubble wrap.It really does cut down on the heat.

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We, too, screwed through the velcro on the frame so that the velcro would stay. We bought a front door window blocker that fits the shower great.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
We use one of the entry door window covers works great. We haven't had a problem with the velcro over tha last year.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Thanks for the all ideas.
I tend to go with the more technical (challenging) solutions that get me in trouble. So this time I will try the KISS solution and work my way up the list. I still like the channel solution even though I don't have the skills required to get it done.
The challenge is on.
Thanks.

Doug
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #15
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I got tired of fighting to keep the Velcro attached too.
I made a trip to Lowes and had a piece of .080 plexiglass cut to the same size as the plastic trim around the skylight. Covered the lower side of the plexi with limo (dark) window tint from Walmart, then put a piece of the refelective bubble (from a door window shade) stuff on the top side of the plexi, then drilled holes to align with the original screws and used the original screws for mounting. Works good to block the light and heat. We didn't like the early morning light coming throught the skylight.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Try this stuff instead of the intermittent velcro. Available in many WalMart stores, etc. Stops many things from moving around the RV.

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...ak-605092.aspx
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I havent' tried it for that particular use but did buy a very similar product from camping world to hold up some magnetic boards on our kitchen walls. Nothing else would keep them from falling down occasionally but this stuff has held for a good long while. I did not know Walmart carries it. That's good to know. This stuff works really well. And it can later be removed and reused somewhere else.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #18
Rmar

M.O.C. #6595
Just got back from trip to SC beaches and visited the Camping world in Myrtle Beach. I had also been seeking a simple solution and wife suggested pull out vent shade camping world had on sale for less than $10. I looked at it and thought it would be too small since it is for the smaller overhead vents, but for money I thought I would give it a try. Talk about simple, the 2 mounts on the shade are adjustable and all I had to do was unscrew 2 screws on the shower skylight frame and hook in shade, provided is small hook screw for other end of skylight. It is not a perfect light blocking solution, but at least 90%.
Rmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #19
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rmar

It is not a perfect light blocking solution, but at least 90%.
We thought about that but were concerned about mold from shower steam growing on the shade.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
We simply cut card board slightly larger than the opening and press them in to block light. Remove them after we get up. Would not win a beauty contest, but free.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote