Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Elevation...Garmin 7200 and Garmin 2720 ??

I didn't see a reference on the other posts...nor on a search of Garmin's sites.
Does the Garmin product provide an elevation above sea level...??
I often think it would be nice to know how high the hills we pull are.
The GPS on my laptop gives this reference but we don't generally carry the laptop in the TV while traveling.

thanks,

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jpf,
The elevation indicator, as I understand, is a function of how many satellites you are receiving. You have to have a certain number before that indicator will function.

I have an older Garmin product and it DOES have that feature on it. I assume that many if not all such products would have that available if it can access the minimum amount of birds.

And you are correct..... it is fun to look at the screen and see what your elevation is. I usually compare the road sign to the GPS..... usually within a reasonable number. I also compare the speed. The two systems are usually within tenths or hundreds of each other! It is amazing.

Happy travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
I know on my Lowrance iWay500 you have to have several satelites for the elevaton to work...just like Hamrad described. I always know when I don't have the best signal because the elevation indicator is the first to disappear. Since I installed my external antenna I have not had any issues with this.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote