Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Weighing your montana

The truck stop near me is always busy and the scales are in constant use. I would like to measure each axle and the unit unhitched. Where do you go to do this?

Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I must have been lucky, I went to the Flying J near my house and the scale wasn't busy at all. Check for a feed & seed store/grain silo. They weigh the trucks for the grain.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Moving & Storage companies might have them, too. That's where I go. They use the scales for weighing before and after when they carry customers' loads so they know what to charge when charging by the ton.

They told me they have trucks weighing themselves in the morning prior to picking up a load and then in the late afternoon after they've spent the day loading their trucks. Midday has worked great for us.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ditto Art & Marge.
Bekins allowed me to weigh both sides as well as each set of tires. No rush to get all of the readings I wanted. I used the following guide:
http://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/sup.../weighform.pdf

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Sand and gravel places have scales also. I think they will do weighing if they aren't busy.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
A couple of months ago I had Stacey Frank of Weigh-It weigh my rig. He uses individual scales so can tell you the weight that each individual wheel is carrying. It’s handy to know if one side of your Monty is heavier than the other, or if one axle is carrying more weight than the other (due to pitch forward or aft).

Stacey is a full timer, so he travels around a lot. You might contact him to see if he’s going to be in your area any time soon. He does a lot of rallies too, so maybe he’d be interested in attending the MOC rally. His price is higher than a truck stop, but he weighs your truck twice, once hitched and once not, and you get a lot of information from him. After he's done he then takes the time to sit down with you and discuss all the numbers with you so you understand it all. I found it well worth the price. Here’s his link:

http://weighit.tripod.com

Scott
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Thanks for all the ideas. I will try to find a place next week. That is what I love about this forum.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Call you nearest State Trooper barracks and ask if they have portable truck scales. Tell them that in the interest of safety, could they weigh you trailer. It just might work if they are not busy, or you can do it on their time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In the midwest I used to stop at a Farmer's Co-op grain elevator. They leave the scales on 24x7 for the convenience of local farmers. I see you are in GA so this might be available to you, too. The readout is high up in the big window at the scale I used to use.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
If you watch you may find a scale that is left operating on the weekends but isn't used. That's the case where I live. On the way home we make sure we hit it on Sat or Sun. The readouts are available and we go in.

In Washington we saw several scales that were the same. I realize you are on the R.H coast but you may see one you can use.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you plan on attending the fall rally, you may be able to get it weighed there. Last year they had a set up to weigh both the truck and trailer by individual wheels (axles), and then you could go back and get just the truck weighed. That provides the most accurate data because you are weighing the loaded rig, and it will tell exactly where you stand. I baulked at first at the charge (around $50, but I'm glad now that I had it done!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote