Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
cwhite
Established Member

M.O.C. #18068
convection microwave

I have a HighPoint convection microwave oven. It has been working fine until today when it stop working in the microwave mode. It started back after about 5 minutes the fuses are good and I still have power when it is not in use. All of the metal racks were out of it while it was being used as a microwave, Any sugestions

cwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thermal overload that reset itself maybe?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you checked the fuses, then you didn't check the correct panel. The fuses are for 12v devices and circuits,

You need to check the circuit breakers where all the 110v stuff is kept. My microwave used a 20amp breaker. However if your unit is working at all, it's not the circuit breaker. My experience with our microwave/convection was not very good. We used it very rarely and it finally got destroyed when I had a power problem and lost it along with a couple other items when my power cord shorted out. I replaced the cord with better quality stuff, tossed out the microwave and the power strip that were destroyed and all is good now.

I'm wondering in your case, if you just experienced some kind of brownout and this was temporary and a one time occurrence. Do you have any kind of electric power protection from these kinds of things? Are you in a campground where load can be a concern?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
cwhite
Established Member

M.O.C. #18068
Bill I will check them, Art I hope that it was just a brown out one time deal, I do have surge protectors in place but I did find out that the washer was going at the same time as the microwave. I don tknow if that would have an affect or not, but it is possible.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did the control panel (clock) go off also when the microwave stopped? Or was it still showing the time but microwave would not work?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
cwhite
Established Member

M.O.C. #18068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Did the control panel (clock) go off also when the microwave stopped? Or was it still showing the time but microwave would not work?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
cwhite
Established Member

M.O.C. #18068
Quote:

The clock stopped
Old 12-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If the clock display was also off when the microwave stopped, that indicates a loss of AC power. That power comes from a circuit breaker, and circuit breakers do not automatically reset themselves. So I think that can be ruled out.

The microwave may have an internal thermal cutout that could have tripped and reset after cooling. But I don't know for a fact they do have one.

Another possibility is a loose wire connection. That could be anywhere. Possibilities include hot wire at the circuit breaker, neutral wire at the neutral buss bar, loose hot or neutral wire in the microwave electrical outlet, loose wire in electrical junction box if microwave is in a slide, ???

Has the problem happened more than once? Intermittent problems are the worse kind.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
cwhite
Established Member

M.O.C. #18068
Quote:

If the clock display was also off when the microwave stopped, that indicates a loss of AC power. That power comes from a circuit breaker, and circuit breakers do not automatically reset themselves. So I think that can be ruled out.

Its happened only one time

The microwave may have an internal thermal cutout that could have tripped and reset after cooling. But I don't know for a fact they do have one.

Another possibility is a loose wire connection. That could be anywhere. Possibilities include hot wire at the circuit breaker, neutral wire at the neutral buss bar, loose hot or neutral wire in the microwave electrical outlet, loose wire in electrical junction box if microwave is in a slide, ???

Has the problem happened more than once? Intermittent problems are the worse kind.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A brown out culd have done if if what you are using is a EMS instead of just a surge protector. It will cut the power to that leg or the whole coach if the power drops below a set voltage and then reset itself when the power is good again.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
On my original Apollo convection microwave, now gone, there were 4 or 5 microswitch copies which caused similar trouble. The panel still had the time readout and some functions continued. Not so the microwave function. The microswitch copies were safeties to prevent microwave operation with the door open or improperly closed. They were behind the door and accessible ONLY by opening up the unit completely. They were on adjustable brackets but when one of the switches fell apart in my hand when I touched it I thought great quality. Originally the Apollos had been good units.
Any way we needed a unit so it was replaced since were were 1,000 miles from home.
The new one, Sharp Carousel, has been reliable for 6 yrs.
I suspect your unit is the 30" wide over the stove unit. Mine is a 24" wide unit.

I suspect from what you describe it is a similar setup and a switch is either misadjusted/loose or failing. If you are comfortable then open it up and look for a similar switch setup. I'll venture that that they are Microswitch or Cherry switch copies. Go online or to an appliance repair place or some one like Newark Electronics and get replacements after trying some adjustments. Get Microswitch or Cherry replacements.

I have seen equipment that was adjusted ok at the factory but after some use - wear occurs- that adjustment is lost and simply needs a minor adjustment.

I will warn that there is usually a large capacitor inside that you need to be wary of as they can store up to about 350V dc and can give a NASTY snap shock if you touch it. Allow about 12 hours to discharge after unplugging the oven. Even then there may be some charge left. I will not try to describe any means of discharging it. Use a voltmeter across the terminals to check the retained voltage. Use the 500V or higher setting initially and then adjust down if the cap. voltage has dropped into the next V range to see what it really is. AN older analogue voltmeter, NOT DMM, will discharge the remainder of the voltage if left connected.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote