Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #61
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
[snip]
...There IS already some designated color coding in the fuel industry. Look at gas cans...RED. Look at diesel cans...BLUE. Look at Kersosene cans...YELLOW....
[/snip]
Not exactly. Gas = Red, Diesel = Yellow (not Blue), Kerosene = Blue and flammable oil - Green
Source Clicky

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #62
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Not exactly. Gas = Red, Diesel = Yellow (not Blue), Kerosene = Blue and flammable oil - Green
Source Clicky
Sorry, my Lysdexia kicked in... I have too much worthless knowledge stored in my brain I guess. lol
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #63
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I agree with Michelle & Ann I haven't seen any thing I think some one may have done it to them self's but we will never know!
I posted about this incident on four different RV forums when I became aware of it. I realized that there were thousands of snow birds starting to make their way south and I wanted to have the information out there. This could have been any station, but it happen to be a Pilot. Since then (as I already posted) we moved to our final location in SW Florida and I stopped at a Pilot and then a Flying J for fuel.

My buddy arrived in our CG yesterday and was thrilled to finally arrive from Ohio, although 9 days late. I will run through a quick summary if anyone is interested.

He is low on fuel after Nashville and knows he needs 5 to 6 gallons of DEF. Pulls into the Pilot and since he isn't familiar with his new CG/Pilot card he can't use it at the pump (we figure out he was missing putting in his control number). He goes inside and has them put $200 initially on a different credit card as a prepay.

The clerk cautions him that he should pump his DEF first to insure he gets that full before pumping the diesel so that if he runs to the $200 prepay everything will shut off. He ignores that advise because he pretty much knows how much of each he will be taking on.

He returns to the island and pumps 25 to 26 gallons into his truck. It holds between 30 and 32, he wasn't sure. He then pumps the rest of the diesel, totaling 48.511 gallons into his aux bed tank. He hangs up the diesel pump, pulls the DEF nozzle out and pumps 5.020 gallons of DEF in his DEF tank.

He pulls away from the pumps to the stop line and his truck is running like crap. He goes in to get his final receipt plus informs them he needs a mobile tech because he truck is barely running. They suggest someone. At this point there is not a truck behind him in the island and he is pretty sure no else fueled at that island because they would have had to just sit there.

Mobile tech arrives and changes filters, telling him it looks like there was maybe water in his fuel. Before he is on his way there is another short conversation with the fuel desk and they are aware that he thinks he had some water in his fuel. Truck runs good and away they go. When he leaves this Pilot his truck tank is full and his DEF tank shows full.

100 miles or so down the road they stop, I think at a rest area. He figures while stopped he will go ahead and top off his truck tank with fuel from his aux bed tank. He pumps in 9 or 10 gallons and away they go. Shortly after that he starts dropping rpms, limps off and get behind a Shell station, and they are done. Gets both units towed the next day, truck to Dodge dealer and TH fiver to close by CG.

Dodge dealer tests fuel from truck tank and aux tank. Both samples have DEF contamination.

Thanks to suggestions on RV forums he finally contacts his insurance carrier. Progressive sends an adjuster/investigator to dealership. They inspect samples and damaged parts. The $9,000 plus claim is paid in full except his $100 deductible. Progressive overnights the check to dealership so a couple hours after the work is completed they are paid and away he goes.

I don't know how Pilot controls what underground tank pumps to what fuel island. I suspect it is plumbed so they can switch things around so when a tank is about empty they can pull from another one. This fuel desk was well aware of his issues after fueling. Did they switch some valves to stop pumping from the underground tank he pulled from? I have no idea. What I do know is what he has now told me in person and what his actual receipt shows.

There will always be folks out there that will just assume that somehow my buddy pumped DEF into his own tanks. That's fine. I'm not going to be upset about that and I'm not posting additional information to defend him. I'm just providing a final summary so maybe most of the other RVers who pump diesel will be more cautious and aware in the future.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #64
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I glad he got back up and going, really sucks this happened. When a tanker pulls up to dispense Desiel and Deft in bulk they are two different types of nozzles, one cannot connect to the other, this would have had to have been a very intentional thing from the driver sense the nozzles don’t fit each under ground tank. But the facts are the fact and I’ll stay away from that Pilot station, thanks for all the info.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #65
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t know what happened but I don’t see how DEF was pumped into the underground Diesel tank if they are two different thread sizes. But then I’ve never seen DEF being pumped in a tank. Wish the guy would have got a fuel sample from that pump but that would have been nearly impossible since his truck wasn’t running. The thing I noticed is he ran a hundred miles or so apparently without a problem after changing fuel filters then put 9 or so gallons of fuel in his truck tank and shortly after that started having problems. How did he go a hundred miles without problems and then suddenly develop problems if DPF was in the truck’s tank but on the other hand why did he have problems at the station and haft to have his fuel filters changed.
There is something here I don’t understand and I don’t know what it is. When you get more information please let us know.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #66
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Several references to insurance paying. I assume it is extended warranty policy, right?? Normal insurance wouldn't cover it would it?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #67
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
His Progressive auto policy covered it.

I can't answer why after changing his filter it ran okay for 100 miles but then after adding from his aux tank it began dropping rpms. Maybe there ended up being a higher percentage of contaminated fuel added to the aux tank, a stronger mix of bad fuel as compared to the mix in his truck tank. Don't know.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #68
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
JandC I’m sure we aren’t going to figure it out here but if you hear more please keep us informed.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #69
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
He doesn't know if Progressive will eventually get back to him and let him know what they found out or not. They paid the claim, minus his deductible, so he might never hear from them again. But if any information comes my way I will certainly post.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #70
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Several references to insurance paying. I assume it is extended warranty policy, right?? Normal insurance wouldn't cover it would it?

I think normal comprehensive covers this type of thing. There was a similar thread on RVNet about this. The guy supposedly got some bad fuel , and it took out his injectors, etc when the HPFP went . Ford would not cover under warranty because they discovered rust in the HPFP, apparently from water .His insurance covered the repair ,something like 10K
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #71
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford will not cover that it’s abuse.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #72
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
Thanks to suggestions on RV forums he finally contacts his insurance carrier. Progressive sends an adjuster/investigator to dealership. They inspect samples and damaged parts. The $9,000 plus claim is paid in full except his $100 deductible. Progressive overnights the check to dealership so a couple hours after the work is completed they are paid and away he goes.
I'm interested in what type of coverage his insurance paid from. Comprehensive? I called my agent (Farmers) and asked if I would be covered in a similar situation. They said they would check on it, but probably not; still waiting.

I looked up my policy and found the following statement in the comprehensive section: There is no coverage for wear, tear, freezing, mechanical failure or breakdown, or road damage to tires.

I will follow up with my agent; I might be changing insurance companies.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 AM   #73
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I'm interested in what type of coverage his insurance paid from. Comprehensive? I called my agent (Farmers) and asked if I would be covered in a similar situation. They said they would check on it, but probably not; still waiting.

I looked up my policy and found the following statement in the comprehensive section: There is no coverage for wear, tear, freezing, mechanical failure or breakdown, or road damage to tires.

I’m going to check Geico, if Progressive covers this kind of damage I mite change back to them.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #74
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Since I began this thread on 4 different forums I can't recall or find a particular answer one person posted. But I recall someone saying their auto insurance covered a huge engine repair bill after they mistakenly pumped DEF into their fuel tank and drove the truck. The poster did not mention what company.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #75
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
there are many

I found many on truck forum boards and other rv forum boards like Heartland. Here is one. Seems progressive pops up more than others. I`m get locking fuel caps this could be a real vandalism thing and you would know it until it`s to late. I`ve seen, heard, experienced real grudges against one brand of truck over another in my time with a new Ford especially from the Special brand people just in MY neighborhood. Every time I`m out washing the truck or just have the garage door open The guy with his 6 cylinder diesel happens to go by he turns on his roll`in coal thing and guns the engine to try and smoke me out. After this started I kicked the back of my garage out 2.5 ft so I could get this new beast in there. The repair cost
would be about $7700.00. WOW! Allen the service manager informed me to
contact my auto insurance company as they sometimes cover this type of
repair. Who would of thought. We have full coverage on the truck so I
contacted Progressive Insurance, my carrier, and after they inspected the
truck and looked at the service records on the truck they agreed to pay
for the repair minus my deductible. This amounted to them paying about
$7500.00 and we paid our $245.00 deductible.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #76
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post

I don't think its a mechanical failure or breakdown in that sense . Sure your engines goes because of normal use or defect then its on you, unless covered on warranty.

Another thread I read the guy flat dumped DEF in the fuel tank, its an accident, and they covered him. I will try to reference that thread if I can find it .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #77
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
OP, please don'y take this the wrong way but is it possible that your buddy is trying to scam either his insurance company or Pilot, It seems to me that there would have been several semis or other vehicles found dead alongside the local roads within a very few miles if that fuel was contaminated. Just a thought after following this entire thread.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #78
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Dave, I absolutely do not take what you are suggesting the wrong way. No problem here. I have known this couple for just under 2 years. The possibilities exists that he did something very stupid and just doesn't want to admit it. But even if I had never met the guy before I would have a hard time believing he would pump DEF into his truck tank, his aux tank, his DEF tank, then hang up that nozzle and pump diesel into his truck tank and his aux tank.

The only possible chain of events, if he did it himself, would be that he pumped DEF into both his truck tank and his aux tank, realized it, so he tried to dilute it by topping each off with diesel. He then pulled forward, discovered the truck was missing, and had the filter changed. Truck ran better and they didn't want to be held up so away he went. However 100 miles down the road the injectors finally started to give out.

Even though I tend to believe his original version and not the above chain of events, the possibility exists that he could have done it himself.

The one thing that bothered me was that he never considered turning it in to his insurance until I suggested it. He was prepared to simply write a check when they got his truck repaired and at that time the Dodge dealer estimated it could be anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000. If I had paid for and pumped contaminated diesel into my RV you can bet I would be looking for either Pilot's insurance to pay or my own insurance to pay. But then again, I may be reading too much into his reactions.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #79
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
He could have pumped DEF in his auxiliary tank and not his main. He went a hundred miles or so then transferred fuel to the main tank now both tanks have DEF in them. Then right after that it went through the system and caused the problems.
I wasn’t there I certainly don’t know what happened. The most likely answer is just like he said. If he did make a mistake he isn’t going to admit it now. Every body makes mistakes.
Lynwood
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #80
hfjra300

M.O.C. #22413
Our 2017 Ford truck engine died while we were on the freeway in Eugene Oregon this past summer. It was towed to the Ford dealer and it was determine that it had contaminated fuel. A State Farm adjuster confirmed it and State Farm paid for the repair plus a rental car while it was being repaired. State Farm was very easy to deal with and quick with the decision.
hfjra300 is offline   Reply With Quote