Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
Talking After much searching bought a 2000 2850rk

Hello from southern Utah! Super stoked that I found a dedicated forum for these. I like having access to people with specific knowledge and love sharing my own.

After much searching I bought me a nice Montana 2850rk last week. Although my family has owned a few 5vers when I was young, this is my first. We've transitioned out of lake activities, and we've all bought trailers. My parents and brother bought new, but I'm a cheap bastard. I love the floor plan of this trailer. With me, my wife, my two kids and two large dogs, we were out for 4 days and never felt cramped. I've found I have more storage than my brothers new voltage. Granted he has double the water capacity.

Structure and interior are good, all doors, cabinets, and drawers work perfectly. The slide outs work without issue. The only issues i'm dealing with is that the fridge is still deciding if it is alive or dead, and I have a leak from the kitchen sink to galley tank. Also needs an awning and a good buff and wax but those not necessary.

I'll probably be posting some questions if I can't find the answers on the forum. I'm also a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic in a former life, and will try and help where I can on that end.

Thanks for this awesome forum.

Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Welcome to the MOC. from Washington St. Enjoy the new Rig.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Boy Howdy ... your rig brings back a memory or two. We traded a Sportsman for our first brand new 2000 Montana ... 2850RK like yours. That was the second year of production of Montanas, so Keystone was still figuring a few things out. The frames were not a real I Beam, but strips of metal welded up to form an I Beam. The main slide was cable driven, but nothing like the cable sides used now. Just keep it lubed. Yes, the tanks were small compared to today's units, but the 2850 was about 10' shorter than most today. Make sure you cushion kitchen related items in the back cabinets as that is where the ride is the bounciest if that is a word. Our 2850 served us well, but it seemed just a bit too cozy for our comfort, so we up graded in 2005 and again in 2011 to increasingly bigger Montanas. It was the Montana with the fewest build or failure issues of any of the three we've owned. As for your fridge ... 18 years is a long life for a gas absorption fridge ... if you see any tell tale yellow stains in or behind the box or smell ammonia, figure on getting a new one. The single 13.5 A/C unit may not handle the desert heat as well as you'd like this summer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
That makes me feel good. It seams solidly built from what I can tell. Layout is awesome. Camping in the summer is planned for the mountains lol you have to leave at some point.
Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our 2002 was the best build of all we later owned. 2015 has been a disappointment in comparison. Welcome to the forum.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had a 2001 2955 RL. Nice camper great layout we enjoyed it. It only weighed 9200 pounds and was 32 feet long. I wish Montana still made a camper that size.
Enjoy
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Looks like you are circling the wagons. Welcome
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Welcome to the MOC! Incredible amount of info and experience on this site. Enjoy the reading.
Just a few miles north of you in SLC.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
freich1

M.O.C. #19335
I need some help. Not sure how to post and can you try to sell a Montana 5th wheel here.
freich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Quote:
Originally Posted by freich1 View Post
I need some help. Not sure how to post and can you try to sell a Montana 5th wheel here.
Your post came across fine so you got the basics.

There is a for sale string. Go to the home page and scroll down to find it. Only non-commercial posts allowed.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
lmf580
Established Member

M.O.C. #20058
Montana 2850rk

I have had a 1999, 2850rk for the past 7 yrs. I did my own maintenance on it . If you have any questions I would be glad to help. I have replaced the hot water heater, put wet bolts in the suspension, installed awning, repaired holding tanks. Contact me through the forum and I'll give you my email
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Mike Barone
Established Member

M.O.C. #20697
Fridge approach recommendations

On your propane/electric RV Fridge ....you might consider junking it for the following reasons:

1. They do catch on fire! Google Dometic & Norcold Refrigerator Fires Explosions

2. RV fridges are not as good as domestics for cooling or freezing

3. They are expensive to replace and repair

>>>>>>

The obvious option is a domestic electric refrigerator which we did

Advantages
> Cost far less
> More reliable
> Far better cooling and freezing

Disadvantages,
> Works only when plugged into some form of electric source (campground hookup, solar, generator....)

Our Situation
We are fulltimers and stay in N. AZ in the summer and S. AZ in winter. 10 hour trips = no issue, fridge stays cool and ice does not melt. The install was easy.

Your Situation
If you will be be staying in remote areas or traveling long distances = solar and/or a generator.

We see many units a year with domestic fridges so it has and can be done

Recommend you do research here and check prior posts ...go to RV parks and talk to to those that only have domestic fridges, Google the approaches = videos and finally stop at RV dealers
Mike Barone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
M Barone ... you're cutting a pretty wide swath with a pretty dull sickle with your proclamation about gas absorption fridges. I will agree that stick house fridges seem better suited for people that live in their RV's, but to blanket condemn them that they are fire traps, don't cool to satisfaction, and are expensive kinda pushes reality. Gas absorbtion fridges have been around for decades and have cooled many a RVers food needs. Fire hazard ... they can catch fire, but what percentage of the hundreds of thousands sold. Some may not make rock hard ice cream, but many of us are satisfied with a lower compartment in the 37- 40 degree range. Many times it's just bad installation that makes them poor performers. Cost ... perhaps a 18 cu ft fridge is half the price of a gas absorption, but you have to be on shore power to run it or have banks of solar panel and batteries, or a generator. Boat loads of us like the ability to run on propane and not be tethered to A/C power in what ever form.
I get you have a lifestyle that more calls for a compressor fridge, but lighten up a bit on how you portray a product that has worked for many many an RVer for many many a year. What's obvious to you may not be the best fit for others.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
Mike Barone
Established Member

M.O.C. #20697
Fridge Response

Thank you for supporting and repeating most of the "obvious" points I already made in my post!

Are aware that many RV manufactures are now offering only residential refrigerators in units now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
M Barone ... you're cutting a pretty wide swath with a pretty dull sickle with your proclamation about gas absorption fridges. I will agree that stick house fridges seem better suited for people that live in their RV's, but to blanket condemn them that they are fire traps, don't cool to satisfaction, and are expensive kinda pushes reality. Gas absorbtion fridges have been around for decades and have cooled many a RVers food needs. Fire hazard ... they can catch fire, but what percentage of the hundreds of thousands sold. Some may not make rock hard ice cream, but many of us are satisfied with a lower compartment in the 37- 40 degree range. Many times it's just bad installation that makes them poor performers. Cost ... perhaps a 18 cu ft fridge is half the price of a gas absorption, but you have to be on shore power to run it or have banks of solar panel and batteries, or a generator. Boat loads of us like the ability to run on propane and not be tethered to A/C power in what ever form.
I get you have a lifestyle that more calls for a compressor fridge, but lighten up a bit on how you portray a product that has worked for many many an RVer for many many a year. What's obvious to you may not be the best fit for others.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
What you might digest is full timers make up a small percentage of all RVers. You can still order about what you want ... you don't have to be herded into what the dealership has sitting on its lot. Moving away from fridges ... some of us can't use the solid entry steps that hinge inside the door frame due to storage constraints ... the old style fold outs can still be requested. Same for those of us who don't like tank less water heaters. We seem to have little common ground, so I'll duck out of this head bump.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
Mike Barone
Established Member

M.O.C. #20697
What I have "digested" in this thread

> one RVer asked for advise.....

> a second RVer replied with an balanced over view that should and would have interpreted as helpful by most ....which is the value of this site = we all help each other

> a third RVer attacked for second RVer with self serving off topic/non related information.

This is not the way Montana Owners help each other....I apologize to everyone for my contribution to this sad situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
What you might digest is full timers make up a small percentage of all RVers. You can still order about what you want ... you don't have to be herded into what the dealership has sitting on its lot. Moving away from fridges ... some of us can't use the solid entry steps that hinge inside the door frame due to storage constraints ... the old style fold outs can still be requested. Same for those of us who don't like tank less water heaters. We seem to have little common ground, so I'll duck out of this head bump.