Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
It should have never left the factory!

Wife and I went to our dealer on Sat. to do the PDI on the 2017 3720. Started a list of thing that we saw wrong. We are now up to 39 items. That's right 39 items! Everything from gouge in vinyl floor, drain in shower 1/4" higher than shower floor, refer has two doors with dents, refer has 3/16" gap bottom left corner, air conditioner cover warped to name a few.

We are supposed to return on Monday to go over the unit again as minor issues are to be fixed. The larger items (Refer, vinyl, etc.) have to have Keystone approval. Don't know why an approval is needed as this unit is NEW.

Dealer is saying all will be fixed, on their dime if not on Keystones. Dealer is paying for our fuel to make the trips back and forth. Seems as though they are trying to make it right. WE WILL SEE! The salesman and dealership manager are very embarrassed about this as their tech. was supposed to take care of these items, at least most of them. TECH IS NOW FIRED.

Wife is stressed to the max about this , I am not to happy to say the least.

Is there NO QC on the line where they are built? I can't believe this thing ever left the factory like this!

Well rant over for now.

TO BE CONTINUED:

fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There's no QC. That cost money and Keystone won't spent it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
There's no QC. That cost money and Keystone won't spent it.
Lynwood
I believe it. When we bought our 07' 3400RL we had maybe six minor things, nothing like this.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We bought our 2007 new and found only one item for them to repair or make good on. Times have apparently changed.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually, when you take the factory tour you will see some units at the end of the line with many many issues flagged. No excuse for shipping a rig in that shape.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
I don't think I would accept a unit with that many issues, I would demand a new one. Fixing a couple of minor things I can live with, but 39 - no way. Keystone should take it back (and wreck it) and you should have a new one with 0 (or few) minor issues...

We picked ours up in March and thankfully it had only 1-2 mainly cosmetic issues.

Good luck. Keep us all informed...
Chris
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
bheckie123
Established Member

M.O.C. #18015
We just spent a few days in our new 2018 Montana 3950BR...no issues whatsoever. Everything worked. No obvious quality issues that I could find.
My dealer did a good "detailed" set-up and inspection before we picked it up so maybe they fixed a few things before we were even aware of them. Anyway, I'm happy that my new Montana seems to be OK. But the dealer will get the unit back if I do encounter problems within the 1-yr. warranty period! Good luck with yours and I hope they fix your problems for you quickly.
bheckie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It is not just Keystone that has a lack of QC it is EVERY MFG ,I have talked to So many folks of all brands out on the road in the last 6 years or so and they have the same complaint I think Most us get pretty good ones with a few minor things and some get a full blown Lemon,they are cranking them out as fast as they can while the times are good because at some point like after the crash of 2007 or so they sell hardly at all so it is up to the Dealer to Fix them when they come in,I have a friend that works at a Major dealership and they spend a lot of time doing just that on top of the Warranty repairs ,Lucky for me I have a great Dealer and have had few problems on all 3 of My Monty's from that Dealer
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The dealers won't fix ANYTHING until someone buys the rig. Then they get paid to do the repairs under warranty.
It is a crooked business practice and should be regulated. They just don't seem to grasp the fact people would actually pay a little more if they were confident that the tires would make the trip home, or it wasn't going to spend weeks sitting at the dealership waiting to have a 2 hr. job completed because the manufacturer won't send parts.

Mark
Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatNW View Post
I don't think I would accept a unit with that many issues, I would demand a new one. Fixing a couple of minor things I can live with, but 39 - no way. Keystone should take it back (and wreck it) and you should have a new one with 0 (or few) minor issues...

We picked ours up in March and thankfully it had only 1-2 mainly cosmetic issues.

Chris
X 2. Glad you caught these problems on the front-end.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The guy I deal with inspects them when they come in. If they have too many problems he sends them back. He fixes anything that is wrong before they are sold. Our CW don't even bother to inspect them. They let the buyer find the problems. Then if you wont it fixed you take it to the guy I deal with, Toneys RV. Guess which one has the best reviews?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Thank goodness you did a proper PDI; so many folks don't. We had about 20 items and Lazy Days Tampa fully cooperated and made things right before we accepted the unit. And you're right, the unit should have never left the factory in that condition. LD told me that Keystone doesn't care that they dump on their dealers.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatNW View Post

Chris
Same here. If the dealer felt that bad he would have worked a replacement unit for you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #14
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Lovin' my '10! By that I mean I'm reading a lot of quality-related posts on this forum lately. I know, I know, only the p-o'ed folks chime in, but it seems more and more these days. I bought my Montana 3 years old and, although I didn't have the new camper experience, meaning annoying little things that meant bringing the unit back to the dealer, I did have to spend some money and time to add the things I felt were necessary, like G-rated tires and TPMS, along with the EMS from Progressive. Now, I've added wet-bolts. After reading all the posts, I'd have to say there is no reason to look at upgrading. Good luck to all new Montana owners. It really does seem like a roll of the dice. If nothing else, you have the MOC as a great resource. It's a shame more owners aren't aware of this valuable forum. I truly mean that.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Sorry Mark you are dead wrong and it is a Bummer you have bought from the wrong dealer my dealer (Tacoma RV ) up here in Washington state do a great job of prepping the rigs when they come in from Indiana BEFORE they put them up for sale and all 3 of my Monty's have had good PDI's when I took them home so Again depends on the dealer there are some good one's and Crappy one's Ask my buddy's with A Grand Designs Solitude about a Crappy Dealer right down the street A freak'in nightmare experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
The dealers won't fix ANYTHING until someone buys the rig. Then they get paid to do the repairs under warranty.
It is a crooked business practice and should be regulated. They just don't seem to grasp the fact people would actually pay a little more if they were confident that the tires would make the trip home, or it wasn't going to spend weeks sitting at the dealership waiting to have a 2 hr. job completed because the manufacturer won't send parts.

Mark
Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
So you SAW 39 items which were not right. This makes me wonder is there are more items that you cannot see - items that will come up at a later date, hopefully before the warranty runs out. I am thinking tip of the iceberg here.

We only found two items during the PDI, which they attended to - the antenna would not turn, and one of the fridge doors did not click shut properly. The tech fixed them both, but I am concerned the fridge thing may be an ongoing issue. We may end up using a clamp to keep it shut in transit.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We also own a destanation trailer we observed ig going down the line.The sales manager does a walk through and flags defects nothing ships till he gives the ok.Keep in mind this is a small privately owned Mfg.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #18
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
So you SAW 39 items which were not right. This makes me wonder is there are more items that you cannot see - items that will come up at a later date, hopefully before the warranty runs out. I am thinking tip of the iceberg here.
This is my thought also. But the people that do the interior are not the same people that weld the frames or build the windows, etc. Not to say they don't have problems. I talked to the dealer yesterday and he said they would guarantee all items would be fixed. So I asked him if he would put that in writing. He said YES! I almost fell out of the chair. WE WILL SEE! But really not holding my breath. If items are not fixed I will refuse to except it. All in all, it is a crap shoot buying one of these thing and all you can do is check them out the best you can before you except them. DO YOUR PDI WELL.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
our 2006 3400 had over 25 items on the repair list. We went over it when it arrived from the factory and before the dealer looked at it. They were all QC issues.The dealer corrected everything .The 13 3402 Big sky had about the same number of faults the worst being a torn awning out of the factory. Unfortunately this is the norm in the RV industry and has not changed since our 2006 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
Sorry Mark you are dead wrong and it is a Bummer you have bought from the wrong dealer my dealer (Tacoma RV ) up here in Washington state do a great job of prepping the rigs when they come in from Indiana BEFORE they put them up for sale and all 3 of my Monty's have had good PDI's when I took them home so Again depends on the dealer there are some good one's and Crappy one's Ask my buddy's with A Grand Designs Solitude about a Crappy Dealer right down the street A freak'in nightmare experience
I agree it depends on the dealer, I also bought two montana from Tacoma RV both had good PDI. They where real great to work with.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote