Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
new thermostat

When we took delivery on our new 3400rl last week the service guy that did the walk through said the programmable thermostat was new to our trailer and he had to read the book to test and then cover with us. You can run different programs and the front and rear air are split into zone 1 and zone 2. Everything seemed to work great except the service guy said when the furnace runs the living room rooftop unit runs on fan. He said must be to circulate air. I haven't tested yet myself, so I am curious if anyone else has had theirs work this way. I would not want the rooftop unit on with the furnace.

pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That does not make sense, since that would mean that you would have to have electric in order to run the furnace, which should not be the case. I think the owner's manual should be of benefit here, I seem to recall there are different settings on the thermostat for cooling, heating and auto switching between the two. Let us know what you find out, I am paricularly interested since I have the same thermostat. I will know more during the week of Thanksgiving since that is our next trip out, the first time we tried the furnace it did not go over too well, since it set off every detector in the rig, haven't had the chance to try it since.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
pappy65
We took our new 3465 out last weekend for a test run. I had to spend some time on the thermostat manual but once i figured it it work well and the AC fan does not have to run in the heat mode
Ken
kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
This is very interesting! A friend of mine took delivery 2 weeks ago of a Keystone Passport TT. When they tested the furnace, the AC stayed on. The dealer has ordered a new thermostat, but I wonder if the problem mentioned here is the real problem?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kenandjudy

pappy65
We took our new 3465 out last weekend for a test run. I had to spend some time on the thermostat manual but once i figured it it work well and the AC fan does not have to run in the heat mode
Ken
Same with ours. We got the new Monty in October with the new thermostat and have spent about three weeks in it so far. The furnace ran without the air conditioner fan. We don't have two zones though. Only one AC.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Those manuals are truly great resources.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
I've read the manual cover to cover. It clearly says the furnace and ac units are independent of each other, but there are dip switches in the rooftop unit that are set based on how the trailer is equipped. I am out of town and when I get back I will test to see what happens. I did find the dip switch settings on dometic's site. If the ac fan runs with furnace, I will check the dip switches and if they are correct I will call the dealer for repair.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
I've read the manual cover to cover. It clearly says the furnace and ac units are independent of each other, but there are dip switches in the rooftop unit that are set based on how the trailer is equipped. I am out of town and when I get back I will test to see what happens. I did find the dip switch settings on dometic's site. If the ac fan runs with furnace, I will check the dip switches and if they are correct I will call the dealer for repair.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
pappy65
I was at the trailer today. This is what I found. With the thermostat set to furnace mode and the fan set to automatic, only the furnace fan came on when heat was needed. With the fan set to low, the air conditioner fan would run continuously and the furnace fan would come on when heat was required. I suspect that programming the fan to low, medium or high would force the air conditioning fan to run at the selected speed. Setting to auto would prevent this from happening.

Dave
Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Thanks Dave, when I get back home I will test using your findings. Sounds logical. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Just an update on the new thermostat. First trip in new trailer. Everything worked great. Quality much better than our Raptor. The rooftop unit fan did not run with furnace as service guy said. We set to furnace and fan on auto, fan on rooftop stayed off.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
The only problem we have had with the new thermostat was that it will not give us the outside temp.
Has anyone had this problem. I am thinking that it is not wired with a sensor.

2011 3400RL
Thanks in advance
Jack and Margie
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jdvier

The only problem we have had with the new thermostat was that it will not give us the outside temp.
Has anyone had this problem. I am thinking that it is not wired with a sensor.

2011 3400RL
Thanks in advance
Jack and Margie
Same here. They probably didn't bother since they'd have to route the sensor cord out the belly to a location where the sun don't shine. There's quite a maze of AC and DC wiring not to mention plumbing down below. Keystone getting that right is my priority. I'll probably pull the thermostat of the wall some time to see if there's a way to connect a remote sensor. I haven't been able to locate this thermostat on line for additional information.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Ours would not give reading for outside either. Pretty sure it's not equipped with sensor. I carry a small wireless unit that gives inside and outside temp. Bought at WalMart for under $15 and when we get set up I tie it to tire chock so it stays in shade. Works great, especially on hunting trips when I get up early and need to know how much to wear.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Could someone with these new thermostats provide the manufacturer and model number. I am interested in swapping out the old style thermo on our rig. Would be nice to have a time programmable thermostat in our 345DBQ.

Thanks in advance
Chris
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Now you have me curious. Programmable usually that means you can program the temperatures you want the heat/air conditioner to maintain per a given time period. Is that what you are referring to, or that it is a digital thermostat? I'm just want to be sure we have what we are supposed to in ours.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

Now you have me curious. Programmable usually that means you can program the temperatures you want the heat/air conditioner to maintain per a given time period. Is that what you are referring to, or that it is a digital thermostat? I'm just want to be sure we have what we are supposed to in ours.
There are two time periods you can program the temperatures you want the heat/air conditioner to maintain on the new thermostat, referred to as Program 1 and Program 2. Check to see if you have a button labeled "Program" on the thermostat. Hit it once to wake up the display, twice to get into Program 1 mode and a third time for Program 2 mode. When Program 1 is flashing, set mode(furnace or air) then time and temperature. Do the same for Program 2.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Looks like I'm going to have to dig out my manual and read it more.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The outside temperature sensor requires an additional purchase as listed in the e-mail response I received from Dometic:

The outdoor sensor is provided with the AC unit when it is purchased by the manufacturer. They may be choosing to not have this feature and not connecting it to the control board, we can not answer that question. I can tell you that the sensor is available for purchase thru Dometic. The part number is 3311731.000 and this retails for $18.75, if ordered thru us there would be a $15.00 shipping fee as well. This sensor will need to be plugged into your control board at the P3 connector. Thank you

If you are in need of any Dometic refrigerator or air conditioner or A& E awning parts you can call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any dealer or Camping World location.

If we can be of any future service do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for choosing Dometic product lines.

I have not checked with Montana to see if the sensor is actually installed on the AC unit or not and whether any additional hardware is required.

With regards to the programming, the manual explains it all fairly simply.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart
.There are two time periods you can program the temperatures you want the heat/air conditioner to maintain on the new thermostat, referred to as Program 1 and Program 2. Check to see if you have a button labeled "Program" on the thermostat. Hit it once to wake up the display, twice to get into Program 1 mode and a third time for Program 2 mode. When Program 1 is flashing, set mode(furnace or air) then time and temperature. Do the same for Program 2.
Apparently, these might be new since we got ours in June. I just went out and checked and while ours is digital we don't apparently have the programmable one (no program button).
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote