Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Satellite Dish

We are planning on going out long timing sometime next year and want to start researching what type of satellite dish to purchase. We have already decided to go with directTV because of all the comments we have seen here. Now the question is what dish to buy? thanks for the replies that I know you will provide

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have Trac Vision on the roof and it works great but you need a clear view of the southern sky. When we start long timing, I'll probably get a portable dish to use when needed.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have had King Dome and now portable. If I were to do it again I would start with just the Portable. Yes, it can take a few minutes to set up, but it give you a wide area to set up in and avoid structure blockage. In any case I would go with a dual LNB as a minimum. You need to look at DirectTV and see what satellites they beam down and how many LNB's are needed to get all of the channels that you will need.

Others more familiar with DirectTV will be along.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Since your using Direct-Tv I would get a Traveler by winguard roof mount, can be installed by Camping World. We have used a Tri-Pod mount since we went to Sattelite system and have had HDTV since it came out and have had it in the 5th wheel also. We have 4 HDTV receivers, you can save some money by taking your receivers but we prefer not to do that.

Out Traveler roof mount (factory option) take minutes to lock onto the Sattelite by pushing one button. If you like RVing under trees the roof mount can be a problem. Tree's in my opinion is nothing but problems so we try very hard not to use RV parks that has lots of Trees. We are RVer's not campers, we only use parks that has 50 amp and full hook ups.

I do take the Tri-Pod system in case something happens to the roof mount. It takes about 15 minutes to do the set up. The biggest problem most have is they don't get the Tri-Pod level. If your going to use a Tri-Pod, buy a good Tri-Pod with adjustable legs. Once your Tri-Pod is level, then mount the dish and if you have a clear view of the Southern sky, it take minutes to lock onto the Sattelite's. I have a Birdog system like the Dish installers use but very seldom use it. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We use the direct TV dish 3 LMB and a tri-pod. When you camp in trees roof mounts have trouble finding signal. With tri-pod and 100 ft of cable Dave can usually find a signal pretty fast. We can't remember for sure but we think the dish was free and had to buy tri-pod. We also signed up for distant networks/fulltimer sevice since we are full-time. This gives us locals out of LA and NY and we get both west coast and east coast feeds. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I also prefer a tripod as we camp in wooded areas which can make a roof mounted dish useless. With the tripod I can almost always find a spot with a clear shot at the satellites. If you're planning on receiving an HDTV signal, there is a significant new technology, single wire multiswitch (SWM) that allows multiple signals to multiple tuners/receivers using one cable into the trailer (the cable wired into the trailer when it was built). See this thread: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...17&whichpage=1

Send me a PM if you have questions.

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Another vote for the tripod as much as we would like to have the dome. With my trusty Boy Scout Compass and the signal finder We can have a signal in a few minutes and 100 feet of RG-6 gives you flexibility in a good shot at the satellite. The portable dome is tempting but does not receive all the Direct tv functions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
With my dome and Dish Network, I can receive everything that I receive at home except the home local channels which I don't much care about when we're travelling.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We fulltime and have DirecTV with a HD DVR and the Slimeline dish, both of which were supplied and installed by DirecTV FREE. Our dish has only 1 LNB as we don't watch TV in the bedroom. We bought a tripod from CW, and the setup usually takes about 10 minutes from getting the dish out to TV watching. It has taken longer, but not usually. We have had absolutely no luck using a signal finder. We also have the east/west coast feeds for network TV, which is about $5.00 extra a month.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My Traveler Slim Line is about the same Dish that I use on the Tri-Pod. I receive the same HDTV Channels as as I receive at home. All 4 of our Receivers have been upgraded and now they are all black in color. I never went to the Dome type antenna because at the time it didn't receive HD. As I said above I also take the Slim Line Dish that I mount on the Tri-Pod just for a back up. I can assure you if you do go to the Traveler Slim Line you want go back to the Tri-Pod. I'm also aware of the (SWM) system which only needs one wire, we don't use a Tivo or Dvr but we use Net Flex. We also have the East/West channels so we very seldom miss what ever we want to watch. I don't recomend the Dome system. But its a choice any so for we still have a choice. The only signal fined is the Birdog, however they are pricey. I think I have two or three of those signal finder and never used them but one time, they do find a signal but it doesn't know one signal from another. Just make sure the Tri-Pod is level if your using HD. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
CasaDelSol,
I have Directv with the HD Receive and have installed a Winegard SK-3005 dish on our 2955RL. I have carried a Slimline 5LNB tripod setup along just in case. I can tell you the way we travel I have had only one place in our trips where I could not get locked on to the satellites with the roof top dish. This was in Oregon (LaPine)in heavy trees. I have been amazed at how well the roof top SK-3005 can locate and lock onto the satellites even in trees. I have locked onto satellites where I know I would have had a problem with the tripod. From now on I will leave the tripod and Slimline at home.
You can view my installation at http://www.jolusspot.blogspot.com/.

Installing a roof top dish on the 2955RL you can route the coax and power right into the top cabinet over TV and down into the cabinet below the TV.

An internet search for the SK-3005 will probably produce prices from $1350 up. So the price depends on if you go with DTV HD or standard tv.

One can also make a simple satellite pointing devise which can make locating the satellites much simpler if the tripod method id used. Also there are several programs you can download free that will give the coordinates and skews of the zip code you are in without even turning on the receiver.

Good luck with your decision and happy travels.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use the Winegard Traveler that CW installed. It is Directv and HD. Works great but not thru the trees. We usually ask for an open site. We can move RV for or aft if need be to receive a signal. We also carry a portable slimline 3 lnb dish but I have little experience settin it up and do not like it, but it does the job when the roofmount doesn't. We can also do cable when we can't do sat, but we prefer the sat as we have learned the channels........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Look in Trailer Life Mag for the Direct TV ad. They provide the tripod and portable dish free with the order.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Benniner1
Established Member

M.O.C. #4770
We have had great success with a slim line satellite and a tripod from TV4RV.com. The tripod is one of the easiest to level that I have used. I have two hdtvs in the fith wheel and run two lines to the bedroom and two lines to the front room. I love the tripod.
Benniner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
sorry to admit this, but I always think the worst will happen. Such as someone trying to steal my satellite dish. What are the chances?
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

sorry to admit this, but I always think the worst will happen. Such as someone trying to steal my satellite dish. What are the chances?
We've been using a ground-mounted dish for eight years full time and haven't run into a problem. With our High Speed Internet System, I run a cable through one of the legs on the tripod up through the back of the dish and down through my ballast (water container or fuel containers) and padlock it. Take some kind of thief to get it although if they want it bad enough they can get it. Locking something only keeps an honest man honest.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote