Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Handy with your hands, Handy with your $$

Well, today we continued our “fix it trip” to Goshen. We had several items on the list, new slide topper for the living/dining room slide, and landing leg repairs.

The landing legs have been acting up since the first fall Rally. We actually took Tana over to Lippert that weekend, and of course, it would not fail. But, of course!

Since then, it would go for months and we had no trouble, then, we would try to raise Tana for hooking up and click, click, click. Then, it would not happen again for maybe a week, then, click, click, click. Well, you get the idea, it was not a consistent failure.

Well, when we came home from our little 6 day jaunt over to the park with the twins last month, total failure. We barely got unhooked.

So, this trip is to get this problem resolved.

Yesterday Lippert replaced the electric motor and the gear box. Thought it was fixed. Got to the Fairgrounds to spend the night, unhooked, and yep, you guessed it, CLICK CLICK CLICK.

So, back we go to Lippert this AM, EARLY AM, pure misery for ole “I don’t do mornings” Carol.

Anyway, they replaced the electric motor again, actually with a motor that was a bit stronger. They replaced both legs, even tho they did not think it would help. They were right, CLICK CLICK CLICK.

So, Al asked about that sound, what IS that sound, they told Al that it was the clutch slipping, the fuse does NOT blow, the clutch just slips. They even said it did not do any damage for the clutch to slip like that.

They brought out the neatest scales. Put one under the pin (this was not first, but, I am reporting first, it was 3020 pounds, about 30 less than we have had when loaded for the winter.)

They also weighed the weight on the landing legs. This was really quite interesting. The electric motor is rated to lift 5000 pounds. We came in at 4780. There was more weight on the curb side of the rig.

Lippert could not explain to us why we still had the click click click after replacing ALL the parts, on both sides.

Their fix (which made our wallets a lot thinner, sighhhh) was to put another electric motor and gear box on the street side. Yep, two motors, two gear boxes.

AH HA, no more CLICK CLICK CLICK.

We also have TWO buttons to push, they are wired independently of each other. You need to push them both at the same time, UNLESS, you want to level with one leg about 1 to 2 inches different. Yep, they said we could extend one leg about 2 inches, NO MORE, further than the other one, if we got somewhere and the ground is not level. How is that for different??

Lippert said they have done this 2nd electric motor install with heavier units quite a bit.

After all this fussing, spending, and moving parts around, we ran over to Fox RV in Middlebury for the awning. WOW, nice people! We have to say, they can fix ANYTHING there. For those who may be interested, they can and WILL do a total carpet replacement for you, including the slides.

OKKKK, so, you know, we are gonna ask Fox about this 2nd electric motor install. Yep, they do them, on heavier units, but, they have never done one on a Montana. He really could not explain it either, why we needed it, why parts replacement would not work.

So, yesterday Al was handy with his hands, got that concrete out of the duel tires. Today, he was handy with his $$. Sometimes ya gotta pay. Next week new shoes for Tana, she needs tires, more handy with the $$.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Tip-Top shape for TX. Two motors very interesting. I think that there is a two sinks here on the form and I have heard of two pans and now Two Motors AL. KOOOOL
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
It would be interesting to find out how heavier units such as Mobile Suites do theirs.
Also two motors maybe?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

It would be interesting to find out how heavier units such as Mobile Suites do theirs.
Also two motors maybe?
Jack
I believe Mobile Suites use hydraulics.

Personally, sounds to me like they covered a problem up instead of fixing it. Something is apparently binding somewhere. When one motor will lift an identical fifth wheel, something has to be wrong if yours won't work correctly. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think I would look into wiring both switches to a central switch. Two inches is not a lot, except when stress is involved.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have noticed that Titaniums have two landing leg switches. They are probably heavy in front because of their front overhang design. You will likely find that handy for equalizing the legs on uneven ground.

Glad you got on well with Larry Fox and company.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I think I would look into wiring both switches to a central switch. Two inches is not a lot, except when stress is involved.
If you do this have a way to switch out either motor so you can reset them to the same height.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Also two motors maybe?
Jack
Mobile Suites uses hydraulics just like a motor coach. Not sure if single feed to both legs or independent feeds to each leg.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al said he is not sure that the switches are made to carry current for two motors, and they are installed, nice and neat, so for the moment two switches stay.

About covering up a problem, we have thought and thought about that, and just cannot imagine what the problem might be. They replaced ALL parts. The legs when have sufficient power, as they do now, go up and down with NO trouble. When they took the legs out and changed them out, they closely inspected the old ones, they were FINE. Not a problem, gears not stripped or worn down at all. We watched them do all the work prior to OKing the new motor install. They were good about explaining how this worked, that worked, answering Al's questions, and believe me, he had questions. We watched them weigh the pin weight and the leg weights. They were completely open with us.

We don't know where these motors are manufactured, or how well the rating procedure goes. Al's question has been to me, where IS that motor made, is it really a 5000 pound lift approved, or is it like some dog food, not as represented. Remember, we were only 200 some pounds shy of the total 5000 on the legs when they weighed us. This is NOT the same as your pin weight. If we had more water in there, say we had been at the state park for 15 days, and loaded with water and gray and black, would the number be over 5000?? Maybe?? When we have more clothes and other gear in here (including BOOKS) for the winter, would be be over 5000?? Maybe??

Anyway, we feel they did not cover up anything, but, knowing Al, he will review and review this in his mind for a while yet, okkkk, maybe a bit longer than a while.

But, for now, we have peace of mind, we are pretty sure we will be able to get Tana off the hitch from now on, and leveled, and back on the hitch!

Have two motors, will travel. OHHH, someone want to pick up the fuel bill for a while!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The original equipment gear motor that failed on our first trip in our '05 3670RL was made in... China. The replacement that Keystone supplied under warranty was made in Dayton, OH. I don't recall that either had any weight limits marked on them.

We did think that the legs on the 3670RL ran slower (i.e. they were lower geared) than the legs on our previous '02 3255RL. 3295RK's, like Carol's, are front heavy, and that may be all there is too it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote