Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
patio/awning carpets

Not sure where to ask this question, did try a search without results. I have a 3400 and am looking for the best idea and size of the mat that goes under your awning. They always used to be fake grass but now there are neater ones. Also where to buy? Any suggestions? Thanks, paper

paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We purchased the woven mat set from CW, three sizes. Were very pretty and felt nice underfoot. Were $66.00, what a rip off. The things are wover polypropelene with a sewn on border and corner grommets. Come in colors with patterns. Ours bio-degraded in less than a month on each different mat. The first week or so they were great then they started to degrade, in a month we had a border of big holes. Go with something better, ours were mats link - edited by RBS
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My favorite was one of those fake grass poly type from Camping World 8' X 20'. It didn't hold water and was easy to put away. Just lost it in the wind out of the back of the truck a couple of weeks ago, so on my way to get another one this weekend.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
We got ours, through a chain of events, from a dealer who also makes the awning shades. It's all vinyl/poly/something and lets rain and light through, but holds large particles of dirt and debris on top. We tested it two weekends ago on a grassy site, no burn. They're expensive but well worth it as ours is already 2 or more years old and still looks new.

My suggestion for length is to measure your awning. Ours is 18' long. I'd really like a mat about 4 feet longer than my awning to utilize the shadow it throws, but we got our mat second hand and took pot luck.

One word from experience, don't put the site's picnic table on the mat. Rust, spills, and cuts from this practice are common. Also, if using the BBQ, put something to catch drips under the grill but not touching the mat. Hot grease may melt your mat.

Hope it helps,
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
RAMBIGSKY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

We purchased the woven mat set from CW, three sizes. Were very pretty and felt nice underfoot. Were $66.00, what a rip off. The things are wover polypropelene with a sewn on border and corner grommets. Come in colors with patterns. Ours bio-degraded in less than a month on each different mat. The first week or so they were great then they started to degrade, in a month we had a border of big holes. Go with something better, ours were http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...utdoor-and-RV-
Accessories/Outdoor-Store/RV-Steps/Ladders--Mats/Deluxe-Reversible-Patio-Mats/9-x-12/prodID=6121
JimF, your link is very long and forces the screen to widen out twice its size.
Please us the following the next time to correct this display problem making it look like this.
mats link

All I did was change the [url] to [url="{insert http link}"] Mat link [/url]

[url="http://www.campingworld.com"] camping world link [/url]
If you copy this link it will do as I demonstrated. Notice I pulled all the internal Camping World link qualifiers for this demo.

If you have questions please PM me and I will go into more detail.
Thanks for your posts and being a member.
RAMBIGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Bought ours at CW and it fell apart after 3 weeks use. Took it back and they gave us another one just like it. They said a lot of them have come back.
So far this one is better.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hugh, which one did you get?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I'll look this week while we are gone and let you know. I haven't seen it in a long time since this is our first trip as my wife has been very sick and had surgery.
I'll be glad to look and let you know.
I think it's a 9X12 but I'll find out tomorrow and let you know next week as we will not get wifi at this campground.
Hugh
Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have what Brad had. Maroon color to match the awning. It is now three years old and is holding up well other than fraying a little at the edges. Got it at CW. We can use a broom on it to sweep sand off at the beach or other debris as needed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Brad, I looked it up in the CW catalog and found it. The 2008 Master Catalog must be in the RV, at the house is the 2007 CW Master catalog. On page 47 top left is the rug. It's the "Deluxe Reversible Patio Mat 9X12". It's a polyproplene fabic and it "breathes".
Ours quit breathing and we returned it and they gave us a new one.
$62.99 and it just came apart....they didn't even open the rug and look at it.
Good Luck
Hugh
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We got a 9x12 from CW last season and it lasted for most of the season, up until we put it down on the sharp granite rock at the camp ground we stayed at in Gettysburg, that stuff shredded it in 4 days. We got a new one this year and it has lasted for 5 months so far. The sun is really hard on them but there are two sides and when one starts to shred we flip it for a month or so till we decide to toss it out. They are all throw away units to some extent, but I wish they were a little sturdier.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks a bunch guys, and thanks for taking the time to look that up Hugh. That is actually the one I almost thought I would try. Guess I go back to the old favorite here

Presto Rug

It really was a nice rug, and because it never absorbed water it was lightweight to roll up and pack even in a thunderstorm. Now I just need to learn to tie it down.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I carry mine in the generator compartment. Whoops, forgot Brad has one of them propane sucking contraptions in there so it won't replace tying it down!!!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahhahaha - yeppers. I tried to put it in the basement after a rainstorm last year, and the DW growled at me when she saw the mud on it. I told her the closet was probably out of the question, eh? To the truck it went. That and the firewood.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Thanks you all so much. I had been thinking the printed ones until you all said it was junk so I'll take your advice and spend the extra to get the better one. We have always just had the cheap fake grass that you cut by the yard and it lasts forever. Now that I have my big Monty, I want a real finished edge, haha. I had just let our Camping World membership run out bcz they closed the one near us. Shoot! Does anyone have the Carefree Designer one? Costs about twice as much as the Presto. Just wondered if it was REALLY neat?
Thanks for all your answers, you all are great! paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote