Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Outside Carpets

Got my Camping World gift card and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Was looking at one of those outside carpets you put under the awning (not the patio-mat thingies).

Seems like it would keep the RV cleaner, but I suppose it can get wet and dirty itself making it a chore when it's time to roll. Any part timers use these?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Brad,

We should have got one of those, but I didn't think they were big enough, instead we went to Lowe's and bought some outdoor carpet. 12 foot by 20 foot, really nice laid out in front of the Montana, feels good to walk on barefoot, keeps trailer cleaner, PAIN IN THE NECK to fold and pack in the basement. You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20, CW carpet would probably have been best.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have two - one is really old. Bought a new one for Monty. They do help to keep things cleaner. We carry one in the bed of the truck - that way you don't have to roll so tight. We hose it down.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Lonnie,

I'll have to see if they actually roll. Otherwise no place to store. They do have an 8X20'. Our awning is only 16', so I'd probably go with the 6X15'.

Sue, that's what I was thinking, the bed of the truck.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Courtesy Swede's example, we will be installing on the new 3400RL (to be picked up soon!!) an 8" dia. PVC sewer pipe mounted underneath just behind the landing gear to hold the rolled up and usually dirty outdoor carpet (which was purchased at CW). We believe that holes should be drilled in the bottom to allow drainage and mildew prevention. Sewer caps will be installed on either end (with handles for removal). We agree--folding up that carpet is a royal pain in the neck! Hopefully Swede will come along and give details as we have not yet worked these out. :>)
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Brad,

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. You can get a custom length outdoor carpet 8' wide and as long as you want. I had one cut for the full length of my awning last year. I can fold it up and it fits nicely in the outside storage unit under the bed of my unit. I can fold it up in a 2'X2' square. It does get dirty on the bottom so I usually put it in the back of the truck on the return home trip then lay it out on the driveway and rinse it off. I then fold it back up and store it after it is nice and dry. CW cost would have been over 100 bucks. Home Depot cost 50 bucks.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have one from CW and it is better than anything else we had purchased. We've used a lot of "bargain" outdoor carpets and I have to say that they weren't much of a bargain. Wore out quickly and were hard to handle.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
How do you all keep it from blowing out of the back of the truck?
Would like to do this if it wouldn't blow away.

We lost a cooler lid like that, years ago while towing.

We have outdoor carpet from Lowels. I sewed with machine around it to finish it, and so far it has lasted well.
It was cut too big, we cut it, now have two. Sometime we need a smaller piece,
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We use a "snowbird Mat" Easy to keep clean and doesn't matter if it gets wet.
Carry a 9' X 12' and a 6' X 8' Comes in great colors and designs.

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-outside.../p-RV0384.html

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Like John and Dawn, we use the "snowbird" (or some other brand) type mat. We used to have outdoor carpeting. When wet, it was heavy and the dirt stuck to it. The final insult was when it blew out of the back of the truck (hard to believe how much wind is back there when the trailer is attached).

The "snowbird" mat allows water to pass through, consequently it is always light, and cleans up very well. They come in various sizes. We have a 9'x12' and found a 9'x21' in Yuma at the flea market. They both fold up easily and fit on the shelf in the front storage area (next to the slide pump). Susan sweeps and folds the mat while I am getting the trailer hooked up. She has no problems handling it by herself.

I wouldn't go back to the outdoor carpeting type mat again!

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Like Lonnie B we got one from Lowe's that is 12' wide cut to length. Mine is 22 feet long covers whole area. i took plumbers torch nd scorched the edges all away around to keep it from fraying out. Have used it for 5 years now no problems. i fold it up and put it in bed of truck under the fifth wheel and bunging it down, keeps dirt in bed of truck. About once twice year i will lay it out on driveway and pressure wash it, you would be surprised how dirty it can get.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
bsmeaton, whereever you get your mat, just make sure it is earth friendly! This means, if you were to lay it out on the grass for a week, it does NOT kill the grass under it. This is one of the bigger complaints I have heard from cg owners and only we can keep them happy about that. Some cg owners will not let you put anything out except the door mat because some people put down the rugs that don't breath or let water thru. Get the mat that lets you pour a cup of water on and it passes right thru. Yes, CW cost more but we haven't found this kind anywhere else!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We got our mats at an RV show from J&J Sunshades located in Lake Wales Florida. These mats have served us well over the past 2 1/2 years and still look like new and they won't kill the grass. They have standard sizes such as 8X9, 8X14, 8X18 and 9X12 or they will build you a custom mat. They also make custom Sunshades.

J&J Sunshades
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad,
We have this one and like it. It is easy to fold and put in storage bag. Dries very quickly. http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-outside.../p-RV0333.html
$39.99 at www.rvtoyoutlet.com
Snowbird Plastic Mats are made of 100% virgin polypropylene. Hollow polypropylene tubes are woven together to form an attractive and durable mat. Cleaning is easy with just some water or a few sweeps from a broom. Mildew is never a problem because the woven construction allows the water to drain. Each mat is light and can be folded into a very compact size for easy storage.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:55 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lots of feedback, thanks folks!

I never thought of the grass issue, of course if I found a spot with grass I probaby wouldn't use the carpet. Most of our places are mudholes.

I've got some more research to do. Also worry a little about wind picking it up if we are away.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #16
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Most "rugs" come with grommet holes so you can put a tent stake through it to keep the rug from becoming a magic carpet. We have an environmentally friendly mat we bought from CW for around $40 on sale. We like it and our puppy doesn't have any problems sleeping on it! Easy to clean - sweep it off. Once in a while, hose it off if it is muddy. Good luck on your search!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto CanDo, we have used a CW turf-type rug for two years and it is still going strong. I pressure wash it in the fall before storage and simply use a regular bristle broom to keep it clean during Summer. CW sells nails with caps that are about 6" long to hold them down at the corneres, never had a problem even during high wind thunderstorms at the beach. Ours is 8' by 16' and folds to about two ft by four ft by about a foot high. Stored easily in the small pass-through on the TT, so should fit with ease in the new basement.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #18
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
I echo Okie suggestion, bought one from Home Depot 4/5 years ago and it is still in good shape after many wet and muddy situations. throw it in the back of truck when it gets wet and muddy and when you get back home lay it out in the driveway and hose both sides down. Store it against back of cab, there is always something to put on top of it, such as leveling plank, coolers, etc. Then fold to a neat 3x3 square package for underneath storage. Price is right and fits under neath full awing and rear steps.

Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We had the Home Depot Solution for many years and killed a lot of grass, messed with the hassel of rolling a wet mess up and trying to get it home. Went to the CW earty friendly mats, have a 9x12 a 6 x 9 and 2 3x6. They are light, easy to clean, dry almost instantly and are easy to store. Best 60 bucks I have spent in a while.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #20
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I picked up what Wally W had, its 9 by 12 folds up great, and it has worked and held up good so far. Had a outdoor carpet type before,but it was a bear to clean and fold or roll up. Also it collected water on top. This new one water passes thru.

PS. This one looks and feels like the CW ones but about a third less on cost.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote