Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
morryde or air ride hitch pin

as having just bought a montana 3400. would it ba good investment to go with either the morryde pin or the airride pin. seems to me i hear these are the way to go. if anyone could enlighten me it would be great

pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steven
It all depends on you tow vehicle. We have a GMC 3500 dually and don't feel the need for any add ons. But then we've been doing this for a long time and we are so pleased with our new Montana and new truck over previous units, maybe we don't know any better. I would try it out before you buy anything more.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
steven,

Tow your new toy for a while and see if you think you need some extra cushioning. I've got just over 4500 miles on mine and see no need for it. YMMV.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We will never EVER tow again without some kind of air pin or air hitch! Do a search here, and in the archives, we have discussed this before and some of the discussions have been very long and enlightening! Good stuff.

Good luck with your unit, go forth and camp and enjoy, good luck with your decision to air pin or air hitch. Let us know what you decide!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I like the suggestion from kwbosch, tow your new coach for awhile and see what you think. For me and my coach I have not found a reason to go with an air ride hitch. I have found that the dual pivoting head on my hitch took a great deal of bounce and jerking out of the ride.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We have towed ours for over a year we thought it was OK except for a few roads that we couldn't keep our foot on the foot feed. So purchased the Demco Glide Ride hitch, Wow what a difference in the ride, and I think it is easier on the truck, just our opinion.
Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We had a TrailAir pin box installed before we departed Alaska for the lower 48. We are very pleased by the way the air ride pinbox works. I would suggest getting one installed if you go full time.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have never felt a need to upgrade as my ride and towing has been good except for the worse of roads (I-10 in Louisiana) but then again I never towed with one of the upgrade systems. I was thinking about this and the associated cost and think if I did go for something I would upgrade at the trucks hitch level so I could keep the unit when and if I traded 5th wheels.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are purchasing a 3400 next month. They now come with the Mor-Ryde suspension and we are having the Mor-Ryde pin box installed on purchase. We are going for the smoothest ride possible..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
pep1977,

I installed the Trail-Air pin box. For me, it was as different as night and day. I still get some of the fore and aft jerking. But it has eliminated almost all of the upper deck flex that I was seeing in the inside rear view mirror before I put the Trail-Air on. When I realized what I was seeing there, that was when I decided something had to be changed.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
MIMF2,

that is exactly how we feel. when we saw how the trailer floats over our Isolator, and then we realized what was going on BEFORE that, stress on the frame of Montana, for example. well, that was when we decided we would NEVER pull any 5er again without some kind of air pin or air hitch. And, if you think it shows in that inside rear view mirror, have someone drive and you sit in the passenger seat and turn around and watch the action! it is amazing to say the least and every time we gasp!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Rich and Helen

We will have to compare notes when you get your 3400 with the Mor/ryde pin box.

I decided to go with the Glide-Ride. It is now here and I will install it this weekend. As you know, there were a couple of reasons I went that direction:

1) Nuwa (Hitchhiker) decided to go with the Glide-Ride and away from the Mor/ryde due to what they called "rebound" - the rubber action of the pin mounting acting like a spring, and as you know

2) The Mor/ryde causes the king pin to sit 1" lower, which caused further problems with the leveling of my rig.

I'm hoping to be happy with my choice - I will find out this coming week.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
CountryGuy

I couldn't agree with you more about the value of spending a day in our Montana - we just love it!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #14
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Al,

I completely understand what you where saying. The first time I saw it in the mirror, Gail was with me. I must have said something like "s-- of a b----!" She asked"what's wrong?" I told her what I thought I was seeing and she turned around and watched and said "I see what you mean. Is that bad?" I said "yup. I'm going to take care of that."

Before I ever hooked up to that coach again, it had the Trail-Air on her.

BTW. Are we going to see your handsome faces somewhere close by this summer. Like maybe the Great Lakes Rally in Springfield, OH in August? Gail and I have started discussing the possiblity.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ricfox..I was watching you post with interest and we still have a few questions to ask BEFORE the Mor-Ryde goes on. We do not have the same truck so I may not have that problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:15 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dale, not sure about the Rally. We take an annual trip to Gun Lake for fishing and swimming and boating. Trouble is, if we go in August it it too hot for fishing, they simply will not bite. If we go in June, it is too cold for these ole bones to go swimming. We have gone a few years in August, which I love, and the boys, cry for 2 weeks, the fish ain't bitin! So, this year we are booked in for mid June, brrrrrrrrrrr. So, Al and I are probably gonna book another 2 weeks in AUGUST! For swimming and boating. Course, now that I have said all this, the weather will be wacky and we will probably have to go ice fishin both time! HAHA So, we will have to see. But ya never know, we like the Elkhart area sooooo much, we may show up sometime, if we do, we will ring ya! Or you could run up to Gun Lake in June! The boys will take ya fishin!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #17
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Al & Carol,

How about the second weekend in July at Twin Mills Camping Resort in Howe, IN. Steve and Vicki are planning to be there and I still have to make the reservations. I can make them for any number of units. Maybe we can have our own mini rally there that weekend! We are looking at Saturday and Sunday July 8th and 9th.

What do ya' say?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
MIMF2,

Have to get back to ya on that one!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:01 AM   #19
Montana_5273

M.O.C. #5273
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pep1977

as having just bought a montana 3400. would it ba good investment to go with either the morryde pin or the airride pin. seems to me i hear these are the way to go. if anyone could enlighten me it would be great
I put the MOR/ryde Pin box on my trailer and it really did take care of that jerking. I've been told the air box dampens up and down but didn't address the chucking which is the biggest problem I had pulling with my F350.
Montana_5273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
We had a Mor-Ride installed at the Great Lakes rally and it made a huge difference in smoothing out the ride. I have no regrets in getting it. The rougher the road the better the truck steers.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote