Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Another change in my RV Salesman saga..

Somewhere I had made a post where I felt my becoming an RV salesman may have fallen through. I have looked all through my archives and cannot find it.
Well anyway it's just as well it disappeared. I was just called by the GM at the dealership and we have a meeting tomorrow AM to discuss my work schedule.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Hate to see you go work. Now who is going to keep us laughing?
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I was just called by the GM at the dealership and we have a meeting tomorrow AM to discuss my work schedule.
Glenn!

Two bad, offensive words put together in the same sentence! "Work" and "schedule". OMG, I just did it, too! Well actually it was more like a "fragmented" sentence... Wordsmith, can I get a ruling on this? Maybe I'm still OK. Whew... that was close! I think the penalty for espousing such words in a proper sentence includes loss of status of "FTer", and you have to get up before 10 am for one solid month! Oh... and you also have to explain to a newbie what an autoformer is and how it works WITHOUT referencing Fulltimedreamer or any of the other MOC experts out there.

Anyway, Glenn, I hope they let you be a little flexible. I know weekends in this business are pretty busy. But then again... you've probably been running on a 6 Saturday/1 Sunday week for a while.

Good Luck! I know you'll do great while loving what you are doing.

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sounds like they discovered that you had not been showing up for work!

Good luck, like they say, be careful what you wish for, your wish may be granted!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Hey Glenn, What brand of RV's would you be selling? I know people have asked this before. If you answered it already, I missed it. Good luck. Richard
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Wind

Hey Glenn, What brand of RV's would you be selling? I know people have asked this before. If you answered it already, I missed it. Good luck. Richard
What else????

MONTANAS
Oh yeah, there are some other SOBs including other Keystones but I'm not sure what they are.

dsprik, you can bet my schedule will be very flexible. Saturdays and Sundays (only 4 hours Sun) are a definite. Probably throw in a Friday as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Good Luck Glenn. We need good guys in the industry. Sales man today, sales manage tomorrow, district rep, then regional manager for the home office. Then product line manager and then vp product sales. I can't go on. there are proud tears in my eyes. I sure hope you remember your friends. We all need a discount.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... you are now our official "MOC" agent.

Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to infiltrate the enemy (dealerships), and to disrupt their pricing structure; to neutralize the other salesman's resistance to "30% off, and we'll throw in all the extras you have requested for free, and we can have it ready by tomorrow, including the hitch of your choice. Oh.. and that 5 year extended warranty? We're having a special and for today only, it's free, along with a one year Good Sam Emergency Road Service plan... compliments of our dealership."; to influence the service dept so that it develops a plan that anyone with a MOC number has 50% off the hourly rate for non-warranty work; and finally, to keep the fact that you are making absolutely ZIPPO in commissions from your wife, Lorraine, who ACTUALLY THOUGHT you were going to pick up a few extra dollars by dealing with your MOC buddies.

Oh yeah... this thread will self destruct (we tested on your previous thread you can't find) in 5 secs... GOOD LUCK, MR. PHELPS (I mean, Glenn)!

* On Edit ~ Script from "Montana Impossible"
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, I remember when someone made a remark to me about showing campers at the fairgrounds. It wasn't you, they asked me how do you talk good about some other brand. This may come as a shock to some of our members, but there are people out there that don't care for the Monty. I'm not sure how that could be! I found that the best thing to say about the "other" was not to say anything bad about it. The dealer I worked for does not sell Montanas, the sell the other brands. One fellow kept asking me how this one unit compared to a Montana, and I would keep saying I didn't know. When he asked me what size truck it took to pull the ubit he was talking about, I said you could use one like mine. That was when he said, You own a Montana don't you? He saw the MOC sticker on my front bumper. Good luck talking about the other BRANDS too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
What a nice Christmas gift. My condolences about returning to work. Merry Christmas
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Glenn, I remember when someone made a remark to me about showing campers at the fairgrounds. It wasn't you, they asked me how do you talk good about some other brand. This may come as a shock to some of our members, but there are people out there that don't care for the Monty. I'm not sure how that could be! I found that the best thing to say about the "other" was not to say anything bad about it. The dealer I worked for does not sell Montanas, the sell the other brands. One fellow kept asking me how this one unit compared to a Montana, and I would keep saying I didn't know. When he asked me what size truck it took to pull the ubit he was talking about, I said you could use one like mine. That was when he said, You own a Montana don't you? He saw the MOC sticker on my front bumper. Good luck talking about the other BRANDS too!
Steve, your post reminded me of a story a friend of mine once told me about selling tires. His tire career started as a wholesale tire salesman. On one of his sales calls a prospective dealer asked for my friends opinion of the Firestone tires. Well as my friend was selling BFGs he told the dealer that the Firestones were junk and he would not be caught dead using them. With that the dealer threw him out of his shop. You see that dealer had been selling Firestones for years and my friend as much as said he was selling junk for years.

Last year at a Boats and RV store a salesman started off with what was going to be a negative comment about Keystone. When I interupted and told him I owned a Montana his demeaner changed but it was still quite apparent he didn't like Keystone. But he did say he couldn't keep used Montys on the lot. I walked out.

Sell your product and never, ever talk down the competition.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 AM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good luck Glen,

I would concentrate on main issues for buying a Montana.

Price

Towability (Does not take a Monster Truck)

Decor

Keystone Reputation- track record of repairing defects free years beyond the warranty period.

Used Value(just check NADA Guides and compare to others)

MOC

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #13
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Glenn,
Congratulations on the J*b!! I know you'll do well, and we'll all look forward to stories about your new experiences. And Lorraine will probably be happy to have you out of her hair for a few hours each week!!

I've enjoyed reading the clever comments by others. I know from experience that working in the RV world after retiring can be fun and rewarding, in ways other than the $$$ (although that's nice to have, too).

Enjoy, and let us know how things go.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I probably missed the post, but which dealership and where is it?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

I probably missed the post, but which dealership and where is it?

I guess a little plug for the dealership can't hurt.

Suncoast RV - Pinellas Park, FL (Tampa)

At this location, besides Montana and Mountaineer I will be selling...

Springdale, Sprinter, Outback all 3 mfgd by Keystone
McKenzie by Monaco, the McKenzie's are all toy hauler TTs and 5ers
Ameri-Camp by RV Manufacturing

This location does handle some motor homes but I'm not 100% sure what brands. Most of the emphasis at this location seems to be towards the towables which is just the way I like it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #16
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I suppose congratulations are in order, Glenn! If you have to work, it ought to be doing something you love, and I suppose Montanas qualify for you! Of course, I have to ask, how hard it will be to NOT always steer potential buyers to the Montana and away from the other brands tou listed? Seriously, though, we need more honest and knowlegeable salesmen in the world, so I wish you luck!

Oh, and Dave, I believe you are okay!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:31 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, John! Been missing sleep over the uncertaintity! Can't tell you the amount of times I had to go to the Language Arts teacher for advice and confirmation in my years as a science teacher (seriously!). Actually, I did know that was a fragmented sentence - don't ask me to go any deeper, though, into sentence structure. If I was Glenn I'd be checking with you all the time - or don't RV salesman need to be that grammatically correct??? I know science teachers don't - whenever a student confronted me on grammar, I would give the excuse that I was not an English teacher, and to leave me alone!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #18
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
you will be salesman of the year!!! after all when people like me ask you if you could give them a few people who own Montana's you can give them a list from all over the U.S. and Canada, it will knock their socks off!!!! We will be expecting to see even more monty's on the roads now.......
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Having been a RV salesman myself (part time), Helen also,You are going to enjoy this and learn a lot (much of which will surprise you) as for talking down other brands of course you know you never, never do that. Like selling shoes your job is to see the customer gets something that fits.The customer will buy what they need at the time. Some folks will not need a Montana or a RV in that price range..If they need something smaller and less expensive then get them into it. Of course a Montana is better than a Jay feather but it is not better to the customer if they do not need it.If he needs a jay feather put him into something comparable if you can't send him over to Jayco..He will remember that and when he does need a Montana he will buy from you.. Been there ..done that...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Hey Glenn, We purchased our Monty from Suncoast in Cocoa Beach. Our RV was transfered to there from the Winter Garden location. I have not been happy with the service dept. at Cocoa Beach. I think we will give the Winter Garden location a try next time and see if they can get everything right. I think that I already have the "black marks" next to my name in the computer at Cocoa Beach. The sales people at both locations seem to love the job and are very helpful. Good luck in your new job. Who knows, if Winter Garden does not do good for me, I might bring it to your location as a short "get away" and let them try fixing it.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote