Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Wire a Wireless Backup Camera to be "ON' all the t

I have a cheap Peak Wireless Backup Camera I bought for $50. If I were to mount it in the rear of the Montana and want it to run all the time instead of only when the reverse lights are lit, could I wire it to the tail lights. Are they "hot" all the time to send power to the camera/transmitter? Or would I have to run a line from the coach battery all the way to the rear? I guess it would have to be fused too. Thanks guys.

astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by astrungis

I have a cheap Peak Wireless Backup Camera I bought for $50. If I were to mount it in the rear of the Montana and want it to run all the time instead of only when the reverse lights are lit, could I wire it to the tail lights. Are they "hot" HOT as long as the tail lights are on all the time to send power to the camera/transmitter? Or would I have to run a line from the coach battery all the way to the rear? I guess it would have to be fused too. Thanks guys.
My first camera was wired to the running lights on my older trailer. I had problems with current draw and poor gound. I use 4 way flashers when I am parking and it would cause the camera to pules. The best is to run a (fused and switched) positive lead from the battery or your fuse panel.

I do suggest you test the wireless for signal loss before you take a lot of time to mount and wire it. Good luck.

I hope this helps.
Safe Travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
If you have that low cost camera, you probably have a small sending unit that mounts within 6' of the rear camera, then you have the little 4" screen that plugs into your cig lighter on the dash. you will fine that the sending unit is not close enough to the camera to get a good pic. you might have to lenghten the cable from the cam to the sending unit, and mount it in your front compartment or somewhere closer to the truck. Then, instead of wiring it to the reverse circuit of the truck, just wire it to any 12v source, preferable to one that is "key" activated, and it will be on all the time. Good luck.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
I had the same issues on powering our Wireless cameras. I have R/L/Rear cam's. I tapped power from each of the running lights w/no ill effect. Cameras draw very little current, that being said, *here* is the rub. The Montana has a LOT of aluminum substructure between the rear and from of the nose and it has a definite signal attenuation on the rear camera. I had to add an additional wire antenna moved way forward to get a good signal. And don’t skimp on the silicone around the holes!
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
the taillights are only "hot" when you switch them on. One draw back to keeping it running all the time is the camera might burn an image into it making it hard to view after a while. thats why they are cheap.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote