Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Which winter cover?

I am looking at picking up a winter cover for the Monty. I replaced the decals on our last TT and the snow sitting on them and sliding down did a number on them. Trying to keep that from happening to the Monty. Since it will be sitting from Oct-Apr with snow on it most likely, I want to get a good cover for it. Looking at the ADCO. Any suggestions from those who use them?

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
With all the trouble out there with graphics,I doubt snow was your issue. With a cover you have to MAKE SURE you protect all corners and any area where it could rub a hole through the cover. You can't put it on yourself,you need at least two people to get it up on the roof to unfold it. I had one two years, and personally it was a nightmare. As much as I tried to cushion the edges,still wore somewhere else. I would wait if you could and go for a awning style cover. They are more money but won't wear out in a few years,and you will be able to use it for several trailers.This my own opinion,and I am sure others will tell you their experiences good and bad with covers
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have a Calmark cover. I am very pleased with it. I cover mainly because there are orchards very close by to where I store the RV. If I don't, the flying bees use it as bombing a target and the bee bombs take forever to clean off. It can get very windy there aslo and so far the cover has held up. I have had it for 4 years now. I had an Adco on it before and the wind did a number on it after about 2 and a half years. It split right down the middle on the top of the rv lenght wise. The neighbor down the street has an Adco on his Class C. He has had on there less than a year. The wind, which is not bad at my house has at my last count put 14 holes in the cover.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I second the Calmark cover. Racerjoe has a very valid point. Sharps are a PIA with a cover but I don't see that a a deal breaker for a cover. I too have dealt with peeling and fading decals on my old trailer. Everything plastic turns brittle and will all start breaking off. The sun really kills these rigs. I'm able to get mine up with help from my wife on the ground. Best technique so far has been to store it in a plastic container i got from Home Depot. We put the container under the nose cap. I pull the sides up and roll them to the center of the roof. Then slide it off the front cap where my wife layers it into the container. Placing it back on the rig I drop a rope over the front cap where my wife ties onto the Calmark. It pulls nicely over the curved front cap. I pull it back down the center of the roof, then drop the sides starting at the front where she secures the black straps working towards the back and right down the ladder. After a time or three it goes on and comes off quite easily now.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't believe the covers are worth the money and the effort necessary to install them. The reports I've heard are that the covers can cause abrasions on the fiberglass due to the wind billowing under the cover.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
personal choice of course but from what we have seen and from personal experience the covers can do more damage than the elements.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
The Calmark covers are made from sunbrella fabric. It is a soft cotton(y) feeling material. It doesn't leave marks.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Any cover made of any material can either wear a hole in the cover or wear a place on the RV...or both. If you really need it covered, find covered storage, if possible, with power. That's what we have. It's $150 a month but worth every penny. It's out of the wind, rain, snow, ice, and sun, all of which can do damage.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Any cover made of any material can either wear a hole in the cover or wear a place on the RV...or both. If you really need it covered, find covered storage, if possible, with power. That's what we have. It's $150 a month but worth every penny. It's out of the wind, rain, snow, ice, and sun, all of which can do damage.
Totally agree with you on that, but at $150/mo. I have my cover paid for and it should last a good 10 years. I'd give anything to have a large enclosure for my Montana especially with power! I feel like I have made the best choice available in material for a cover. I have had one rig totally destroyed by the sun (05 Wildcat). If the Montana begins to show wear from the cover I will make alternative arrangements for it. So far the cover has met my expectations.