Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
PDI Tomorrow

We are having our PDI tomorrow, we are on our way home so won't have as much time as I would like to look at the 5er. Any areas that I should have a closer look? We are purchasing a 3750FL.
Thanks
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Good luck. This list should help:

http://www.montanaowners.com/PDI.html

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even though you're going to be rushed take the time to take a close look at the basics. We found ours had a cracked landing gear leg. Wouldn't have lasted long and could have been a real problem soon it we hadn't discovered it. Dealers mechanic said he'd never seen that on a new one, so even they hadn't checked that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Mamestra,

Please don't rush your PDI. You are paying a lot of money for real property. If you don't have a lot of time to do a full PDI then you don't have time for any of it.

There are so many functional items to check plus the quality of construction (was work done on Monday? Friday? After a tech had a fight with his/her spouse?) Remember that a real PDI is a "B itch". That's Bumper to hITCH. Water systems, electrical 12VDC and 12VAC systems, water systems (internal and city). If you don't do yourself the favor of a GOOD PDI then, I predict, we will see a lot of unhappy posts here on the forum. No good we like happy posts.

Hope to see you down the road...perhaps at Quartzsite next year.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Would you rush a new home inspection? An RV is worse in that it has just about as much stuff but it will be subjected to movement your home may never see. You might rely on the warranty for things you miss that go wrong, but warranties are like insurance - you pay for them but you hope to never have a problem. They are designed for accidental failures over time, not poor workmanship or defects from the onset.

If you rush it, then don't be too surprised and angry when something goes wrong and just know that there might be some inconveniences after it becomes your time and your dime. There are too many things that have been known to be incorrect or bad to come up with a comprehensive priority list. Passing items in a prioritized list might not be the list you consider a priority when you find a problem.

Even with my PDI, the things that failed within 1 year of my rig ownership were: the fridge, slideout fuses, front underhang light switch, recliner, rear passenger tire separation. There were probably more but other than the fridge, the other items are not high priority until I had to deal with them. Fortunately, I'm handy and we als don't travel near as much as others, but any problem is an inconvenience and knowing it was there at the time I picked up the rig makes me real angry, but I was half the fault by not checking. These are very complicated living spaces these days. I can't imagine what Class A owners put themselves through.

Good luck with your rig tomorrow and in spite of any problems, may the good times far outweigh any bad times. Use the good times for memories and the bad times for learning.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Things are much easier to resolve when you have not taken possession. Once you drive off the lot, welcome to the world of good/bad dealers. Great advice above. Make the time and inspect carefully.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I agree take your time and make sure it is all good before you leave the lot. Even if you have a good dealer in your area it is still a big pain in the keester to get stuff fixed......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Everyone makes very good points. Problems are where you find them. When I did my PDI I found a plug in one of my tires as well as a ton of other things the dealer needed to correct before I would take delivery.

If you can't spend the time doing it to your satisfaction then come back another day.

Our dealer allowed us to spend several nights sleeping in the trailer on site and we uncovered some small problems that needed to be addressed such as water leaks. When we were pleased we did the paper work and completed the deal.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
A lot of good advice. Here is hoping things go well for you. Good luck.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote