Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #21
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
seahunter, in her defense we don't have a s&b as we've been fulltiming for 4yrs now due to my work. But there is more in the storage unit. I am like bingo I have my work boots, 1pr of cowboy boots and a pr of sneakers. And when they wear out I get a new pair.

However us guys DO know the saying, If mamma ain't happy nobody's happy!

junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I feel for you Bingo!! I am bleesed with a wife who has (IMHO) waaaay too many shoes. But her purse collection is not bad considering she has Meiche purses and all she does is buy the "shells" to go over the main body of the purse. But we end up taking the shells and a number of different shoes when we go camping.
As for measuring the RV, I still have to do that since the weather is not cooperating with me.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

After some astounding posts about the height of the rig, I had been looking forward (or dreading?) to the opportunity to actually get an accurate measurement. Using the forum documented method of a straight 2x4 in conjunction with a 48" carpenters level, the results are in. 13'8 1/4" from the mid-ship air conditioner (highest point) to the ground.
Bingo,
After reading your post I simply had to re-measure the height of my 3750FL. Measuring again on level pavement, hooked up to the truck and following the same procedure as you, my height is 13' 0.5". I am not sure where the discrepancy lies between our two rigs, maybe in the truck height? The height from the ground to the bottom of the front cap is 5' 0.5" while hooked to the truck and jacks up.

A 7" difference between our two rigs seems like a lot, but maybe your suspension is higher on your truck? Also I checked and the rig is level while hooked up to the truck.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This thread got me to looking at the wires running across the front of our new RV site. Yup we're going to hit them. Going in Monday to talk to the phone company. I think they're no longer in use and so they should take them down, before I forget and do it myself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kyle, do you have the front air conditioner or just the one on the rear. Our highest point is above the axles where the air conditioner is. It is a factory installed full height model, not the low profile.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Bingo,
Ours has two factory installed full-height units front and rear. Like yours, the front unit is over the axles.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kylec2

Bingo,
After reading your post I simply had to re-measure the height of my 3750FL. Measuring again on level pavement, hooked up to the truck and following the same procedure as you, my height is 13' 0.5". I am not sure where the discrepancy lies between our two rigs, maybe in the truck height? The height from the ground to the bottom of the front cap is 5' 0.5" while hooked to the truck and jacks up.

A 7" difference between our two rigs seems like a lot, but maybe your suspension is higher on your truck? Also I checked and the rig is level while hooked up to the truck.
That's a huge difference in height, and you both have the same year. Unless they are different brand AC units, some of it must be the truck I would think, but not seven inches??

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The truck should not have anything to do with it since the highest point of the rig is very close to being above the rig axles. All a higher truck would do is to raise the front of the rig and lower the rear. The factory listed height is 13' 5" if I remember correctly? The year before and after are listed at 12' 9"? I do know that our rig was manufactured in September, but I would not think that would make a difference? The interesting thing that I just checked is with the rig level and set up, the clearance to the bottom of the front cap (not the pinbox) is 59" on a level site. I am wondering if something was changed in the builds?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
This thread is going to drive me crazy. DW and I are sitting by the campfire and discussing what we did and how we measured and I think we may be off 3 1/2" on our measurements and will verify this. I will leave it to the MOC to see if they can figure out the dumb mistake I made. I think based upon this mistake that our rig has now shrunk to the 13' 4 1/2" to 5" range. The amazing part is we actually measured twice and evidently made the same mistake twice. To give you a clue the width of the tape measure is 3 1/4" which we did add to the measured total of 13' 5". Remember the procedure for the big clue to our mistake! Sorry all, and we will re-measure for verification. If, as I suspect we are indeed wrong, I will confess!
Bingo
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I bet you placed the level on top of the 2X4 to make sure its level and then you hooked the tape measure on top of the 2X4 instead of holding it at the bottom which would add 3.5” to the height. Am I correct?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The reason I thought of that is because it would be too easy to clip it on the top. That is probably the type of mistake I would make. I bet the campfire feels nice about now!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #32
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Exactly Bill!
Bingo
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #33
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Oh what's an inch or two among friends. I once caught a fish that was this big..............
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #34
vgweaver

M.O.C. #12379
This is our first message to anyone!! We are looking to purchase the 3750 front living, a little scarry from pulling a 29 ft travel trailer. I am the one who drives all the time and after six years of the TT I was doing great, but now the BIG ONE!! We still want to dry camp sometimes and travel with this rig! Any input from anyone who owns the same? Thanks so much for responding, just want to make sure we are making the right purchase, we will be full timing in this rig!Val
vgweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vgweaver

This is our first message to anyone!! We are looking to purchase the 3750 front living, a little scarry from pulling a 29 ft travel trailer. I am the one who drives all the time and after six years of the TT I was doing great, but now the BIG ONE!! We still want to dry camp sometimes and travel with this rig! Any input from anyone who owns the same? Thanks so much for responding, just want to make sure we are making the right purchase, we will be full timing in this rig!Val
Welcome to the forum Val! We're doing exactly the same thing. Going from a 27' travel trailer to the 3750FL. The size difference is a little intimidating, but with your previous experience, and just taking it slow, you'll be fine. Everyone here just recommends a little practice at first, and watching those turns and you'll do great. We will not be fulltimers, but the 3750 is a great choice for fulltiming - the large living area, huge bathroom, and huge bedroom are all plusses for fulltiming. The second door into the unit at the back is also very popular. Poke around on here and you'll get some great advice on upgrades too. The Level-Up seems to be high on the list of upgrades. As you start to read on here, don't be afraid to ask questions as everyone is eager to help

Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:

The truck should not have anything to do with it since the highest point of the rig is very close to being above the rig axles. All a higher truck would do is to raise the front of the rig and lower the rear. The factory listed height is 13' 5" if I remember correctly? The year before and after are listed at 12' 9"? I do know that our rig was manufactured in September, but I would not think that would make a difference? The interesting thing that I just checked is with the rig level and set up, the clearance to the bottom of the front cap (not the pinbox) is 59" on a level site. I am wondering if something was changed in the builds?
Here's the reason for the variance in height year to year as explained by Mr. Keystone himself ...

"In 2010 the Standard Air Conditioner was located in the Rear Bedroom. When the Air Conditioner was back in the Bedroom the height of the 3750 was 12'9". The Highest point on most Fifth Wheels is the Air Conditioning unit. In 2011 we moved the Standard Air Conditioner forward to the kitchen area and that raised the overall height 8 inches. In 2012 Model year we moved the air conditioner back to the rear bedroom bringing the height back down to 12"9"."

[/quote]
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #37
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Quote:

Here's the reason for the variance in height year to year as explained by Mr. Keystone himself ...

"In 2010 the Standard Air Conditioner was located in the Rear Bedroom. When the Air Conditioner was back in the Bedroom the height of the 3750 was 12'9". The Highest point on most Fifth Wheels is the Air Conditioning unit. In 2011 we moved the Standard Air Conditioner forward to the kitchen area and that raised the overall height 8 inches. In 2012 Model year we moved the air conditioner back to the rear bedroom bringing the height back down to 12"9"."

[/quote]

That's too bad then if the main AC - the 15k is in the bedroom that would mean an added 2nd unit would have a 13.5 to try to cool the whole rest of the unit. The main 15k unit should be in the kitchen on the 3750FL and the 13.5k unit should be in the bedroom in my opinion. So, does this mean if I'm only able to run one AC unit, I should run the bedroom unit to cool the entire trailer?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Both air conditioners on the newer models are tied in to the roof ducts which cool the entire rig. The quick dump registers on the bottom of the ac's can be opened to speed up the cooling process in their respective areas.
Bingo