Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
So who's doin' the drivin', you or your spouse?

My wife never had any interest in pulling our trailer the last 25 years. But now that ownership of the 5vr is in sight, she thinks she wants to go for it. More power to her and I'm all for it....just curious to hear how things work out for you and your partner. Thanks! D

Old 03-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If your wife is willing to try, take advantage of it. One of the biggest problems to overcome for towing a 5er is desire. You learn a lot better when you have the desire. If she knows how to drive and park your rig, then she will also be a better pilot/copilot when guiding each other!

DW is not even at the stage of taking the wheel on the open highway. But she's starting to think about it now that SILs are starting to open road their RVs. Hopefully a little peer pressure will change DW's mind.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I think the only way that I would get Kathy behind the wheel towing would be in an emergency. So no emergency's, I do all the driving and we are both comfortable with that.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
If she is interested keep it going. When we had motor homes my wife would drive those but won't have nothing to do with the 5th wheel. They need too because if you do have a emergency it would be nice if she could drive home if needed, or to the nearest hospital.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
For nine years the wife would not even sit behind the wheel of the truck, much less drive it with or without the 5er. One little bout with lung cancer (me) and she's now driving all over the place. Now that I can drive she still enjoys it so I let her, sure helps a lot. Necessity is the mother of invention and desire.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've done all the driving in the past, mostly because Vicki did not have the self-confidence to think she could handle the trailer. And, probably, because I would not be a patient teacher.

At the Fall Rally this past year, Keystone put on a Ladies Driving School in which men were not allowed to be within sight. Vicki came away from that school with the confidence to give it a try on the road. On our way back to KC she drove between two rest areas, about 50 or so miles apart. She did great. When we leave this Kerrville rally I hope she'll again do some of the driving so she doesn't lose those skills.

Whether she drives regularly or not I think just having the experience will really help should we have an emergency that forces her to drive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
As soon as I learn how to drive it, Gloria's going to learn how to drive it...
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
my wife drive from the passenger seat, and she has saved our butts more than once. Last year she said BRAKES, no she screamed BRAKES. I now know how long it takes to get everything stopped. I must say i was impressed with the braking ability of my truck and trailer.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Bob and I share the driving in 2 hour shifts. This keeps us from getting too tired and allows both of us to do some sightseeing along the road.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I do the driving and Vickie does the navigating. We each do what we are best at but Vickie knows how to drive if need be. Right after we got the trailer, we went to the local mall parking lot on a Sunday morning and I taught her how to drive, back up, back up while turning and how to judge distances. Then she took it out onto the highway for a spin. We both feel confidant that she could handle driving if she needed to for any reason.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
4-5 hours or less, I will drive it all. But longer than that, we trade out every 2-3 hours.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
my wife drive from the passenger seat, and she has saved our butts more than once. Last year she said BRAKES, no she screamed BRAKES. I now know how long it takes to get everything stopped. I must say i was impressed with the braking ability of my truck and trailer.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As my long lost twin brother Steve mentioned, the Fall Rally this past year gave the ladies in our group a chance to take a driving course -- without any of us, men, around for comments! Mary took the class along with about 15 other young ladies and all passed with flying colors! On our way back to Nebraska from the Rally, Mary took over the wheel and did a fantastic job! She hasn't backed in yet with me present but does an outstanding job on the "open road"! If you are coming to the Fall Rally this coming September (if we get a Wagonmaster), I'm sure that Keystone and Montana will be offering the course again! I think all of the ladies should take it just to be there IF something happens on the road to us and or to give us a break along the way!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Terrie frequently drives the rig, especially when we have to get somewhere and I'm tired. Also, since I'm still working, she occasionally will drive the rig in through Milwaukee traffic by herself and pick me up at work. Of course we have everything preloaded and sitting in front of the house, but she does a great job. I sleep very well when she is behind the wheel. She also took the MOC training, but had driven before that.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
My husband does all the driving,and he really enjoys it. I am the navigator and spotter. If there were an emergency I feel confident that I would be able to get us to where we need to be.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #16
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Maureen does a fantastic job of driving from the passenger seat!!! She is an accident free driver all on her own but up till now whenever we travel together I seem to end up in the drivers seat. Seems ever year we hear of someone being stranded because of sudden ill health to the husband and of couse as we get older you never know it could happen to any one of us. We agree, the time has come!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #17
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
All though Cindy has not driven the Monty down the road yet, I am sure she would do fine.. The picture is our first 5th wheel (64 feet front of truck to back of aux trailer), which she drove down the freeway many times. While she was driving, I would be in the back sleeping on the bed.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We share all aspects of Rv'ing. Helen can do everything herself. She drives backs and maneuvers as well as anyone. She is a much better navigator and a much better backer than I am. We share driving switching off at every fuel stop. It makes for a restful less stressful day. The ladies driving school at the rally is a must do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

I think the only way that I would get Kathy behind the wheel towing would be in an emergency. So no emergency's, I do all the driving and we are both comfortable with that.
Same here...I'd rather drive than ride anyway.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I would love to see my wife get behind the wheel and give me a brake on the hypnotic road, but the problem with her driving is the fear of carusing a accident, and going to slow which will get others to get frustrated and vocal, along with hand jesters when they pass us. So Georgia is my navagator along with Garmin.
So I'm like a bus driver "and Leave the driving to us".