Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Cont.. Bed Saver

Hello I was in touch with Linda, 15 days plus or minus ago. The bed saver I bought for my Husky 16 K, didn't fit the bolt pattern for the Hitch. She had R&D look at the Pictures I took and they said if I just drill holes 2.5 " for the end of the plates. Yesterday I got time to try to do just that. I put the side plates up to the Hitch and using a cardboard template, I then drilled the plates, with a 38.00 step drill. Then I had a thought I better put the center piece on the side plates and see if that made a difference. The unit being put together set it up to the hitch, and the side plates are wider that the hitch, I would have to have two space plates made to reach in to bolt it together, they are 5" wider than my hitch. It would take 2 1/2" either side to make it hook up. This would be costly because I am a traveler, like the 10's of thousands of people who buy these from you. Linda went to the blue prints of the Bed Saver and said it was the one, that fits the Husky 16 K. I now own a boat anchor. I belong to The Montana's Owners Club, many of them have bought one and still a few had to fabricate a little to get them to hook up right. None as extensive as mine. I may be wrong but I will post this on the Club Forum , I think this will be a warning so that the 10,000 members will be sure to check the dimensions before trying to install theirs and get a refund. that's what forums are for . Randy Avellar oregon4rea@aol.com .

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Randye, Are you dealing directly with Blue-Ox or an independent distributor? I would like one for my hitch, had one before, but so far, they do not make one for the Trailer Saver Hitch. Mine fit the Husky hitch without modifications. It's not like the Husky hitches are new ones, I don't understand it not fitting and they not offering better customer support. That is sad, indeed!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Phil yes it is Blue Ox, when I talked to Linda who works thier she had a fellow name of Bob that designs them as head of Reshearch and Developement. I should add I originally bought this unit from Carparts.com. When it looked like it wouldn't fit, I got ahold of the Manufacturer to ask if it was the right unit for my hitch. She pulled blue prints and had me measure the Bed Saver the measurements and Number on the box was correct. At first they were going to see if they could make me new plates to fit,after I sent in pictures of my hitch, they emailed me and said, if I just drill new holes 2.5 inches from the end of the plates it would fit. Of course I hadn't put the unit together with the center section yet, when I did it was 5" to wide to fit to the hitch. So I will be trying to find someone who needs one and see if this will fit thier hitch. They will get a great deal, I never sell things for the the price I buy them for. usally at about at $50.00 reduction. I will post again if Blue Ox repiles to the email you read above. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Randy-- Keep in contact with Blue Ox! They will work with you all the way through it! I think Steve Reigle his heading up here to Pender, NE where the Bedsaver is made and is having one specially made for his new hitch! You might what to see if he keys in on this thread too! If not, keep in contact with Linda and I'm sure you'll be able to get things worked out to your satisfaction!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I sent Steve a private email and its not him that is having one make from Blue Ox and I left the email on their site Friday the 19th and I don't see any action taken by them. I will wait a few more days but don't expect anything. I will advertize it for sale the hard thing will be finding what model hitch it fits. Since Blue Ox specificly says it fits the Husky 16 K. Its got me baffled.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

I think Steve Reigle his heading up here to Pender, NE where the Bedsaver is made and is having one specially made for his new hitch!
Hey, long lost twin, you getting cabin fever up there in all that snow? It weren't me. I just got out of all that nasty cold weather. No way I'm coming back on my own volition until it warms up!

Sorry, must have been someone else.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I stand corrected "twin brother" and randy! It is Jim Boylan that is coming our way to have a special unit made by Blue Ox! Sorry Steve, must be a conbination of the painkillers for the foot surgeries and the "oldtimers" I'm coming down with! It could be the sudden rise in temps here too! It's a whole 57* at the current time! Must be breaking out in a sweat!!Watch for the posting of a Central Regional or Central Plains Regional Rally! IT's a go and I'll be posting details coming up soon! Watch the Rally Section of MOC!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I have a Husky 16k hitch and a Blue Ox Bed Saver. I did not have to do any drilling. I raised my hitch one hole and bolted it in place. Actually, this is where the hitch should have been to give me the proper clearrance over the truck bed.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Jay Congradulations on your recovery from Prostrate Cancer. Is there any way you can post a picture of your hitch with the Bed Saver. I'm still trying to see if mine is some odd model. As I stated in the post the unit it 5" to wide to even touch the hitch. I still have not heard anything since last Friday. They seem to have washed their hands of this one. The only way I can hook it up is 2 1/2" steel tube but the hitch is still wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. Another words its tappered this means I may have to shim at the bottom or only 2" stell tube a the bottom. This is a nightmare. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
beginner

M.O.C. #10241
Maybe the problem with the bedsaver is that there may be different versions of Husky because of coast's vendor change?
beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote "and Number on the box was correct." unquote

Randye, I'm wondering if the unit in the box they sold you is actually a different model. This could be a factory problem in packing or the dealer switched out the units. Just trying to find the problem for you. Seems like a strange situation. I found Blue-Ox to be very reputable, I wonder if the economic situation has anything to do with it.....Good luck!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
randye thanks. I will take some pictures tomorrow and try to post. If not successful I will email them to you.

George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thank you Jay Bird that would be great, I want to also send them to Blue Ox. So if mine is different than yours maybe they can design one for the odd hitch.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
My hitch is differant than Jay birds so if must be there are a couple of different manufacturer's or they designed a couple of different Huskys during the years preceeding 2007. I will have to have spacers made and shim the bottom out a quarter of an inch less than the top, maybe even 3/16". I will have to wait We are moving in a few days. Thanks all.