Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #41
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I never really got to test the life of my bearings - safety popped of, set brakes and being a newbie - burn up brakes, drums and bearings … so go dealer to redo all and 6 months later had a shop, I trust, to redo bearing pack and seals - cheap piece of mind to me. Other commentary is very insightful and appreciated on all sides - that's what I like about this format on this forum. If you have common sense, you can pick your path from experienced members. Thank you ALL!

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #42
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

That is something else I do every year when I grease my bearings.

I have my wife spin the wheel I have off the ground and I pull the safety switch to make sure all wheels have braking.

Make sure and put the switch back in rite away your can burn up you brake magnets leaving it on.

I never thought of tell you all this. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #43
solidhank
Established Member

M.O.C. #22103
My brother-in-law just returned from F.R.O.G. rally and Dexter rep said re-pack bearings once a year. When asked about E-Z Lube he rolled his eyes and said re-pack bearings once a year and check brakes.
solidhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #44
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhank View Post
My brother-in-law just returned from F.R.O.G. rally and Dexter rep said re-pack bearings once a year. When asked about E-Z Lube he rolled his eyes and said re-pack bearings once a year and check brakes.
I agree, using those E-Z lube bearings is asking for trouble, although some swear by them if done correctly, I don't but some sure do. I re-pack my own bearings, not a vert trusting person. I won't say how often, but once a year IMO is a bit of an overkill, to each his own. If I told that Dexter rep how often, I would for sure get a eye roll.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #45
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
I need to have the bearings on our 3731FL repacked. This is a new experience and not a task I'm capable of doing. I'm wondering what I should expect as a price for repacking all 4 wheels.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #46
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
All you should need is seals and a container of grease. I take about 4 hours taking my time from start to finish. A mechanic will charge in the neighbor hood of 300.00 to 350.00 for all 4 wheels. I believe I saw where camping world charged around 125.00 per axle as a special several years ago buy I wouldn't trust them with a lawnmower.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 AM   #47
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have owned our Montana sense 2009 and 100,000 miles.

I have never replaced a wheel bearing and only pulled the hubs off to replace the brake shoes and didn’t remove the inner bearing at that time.

I use the E-Z lube system to lubricate the bearing once a year.

I have posted before that leaving a trailer sit with a load on it causes the race to become uneven with ridges in it.

Well here are some pictures of a wheel bearing I removed last month.

I installed this bearing new in 2015 the transport was used for no more than 50 miles then parked with about a 20,000 lb load on it.

You will note the ridges I talk about in the race there is no corrosion on the rollers but there is the discoloration I have talked about on the race.

I don’t know what causes this but it does happen when a trailer sits without being moved for a period of time.

I do recommend removing, cleaning, and re-lube bearings on the trailer that sit 50 weeks a year and operate 2 weeks.

However a trailer that is used every month for a few hundred miles or greater wheel bearings do need to be monitored.

I do this by stopping about 25 miles out, every stop and checking my hub temperatures with a laser thermometer.

When I get a temperature over 200 F I will replace the bearings.

Phil P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	3350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2529.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	3351  
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP