Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
When Should You Stop Towing

This afternoon in New Braunfels Texas (about 2:30) I saw a Monty behind a Black 1 ton Ford sitting on my right at the intersection of Walnut and I-35. When the light changed he turned on his left turn signal and proceeded to cross 3 lanes on traffic to the left. It did not seem to matter a great deal that the traffic was bumper to bumper. He cut off several cars and an 18-wheeler. I was one of the cars.

When I got beside the unit I saw that the driver’s side rear slide had been damaged, can't imagine why. He also looked old enough to be my father, and I am 3 years in to social security.

So the question is, when should you quit towing, and if it was you that was driving that rig, you need to quit NOW!!!

Wish I had got the license plate.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
Boy, I hear ya there. There are a lot of people out there (including my 87 year old father) who think they can still drive, when in fact they should have turned in the drivers license long ago. I would imagine it's a hurt to your pride, that you shouldn't be driving anymore. Hopefully, I will know when it's time and hang it up then. But that is exactly the reason why I want to retire ASAP and get in all the RVing and traveling the country as soon as I can, so hopefully I'll be burned out and ready to turn in my license when it's time.
Back to your driver, I sure hope he doesn't kill anyone or himself.

Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If and when I have another birthday I am supposed to be 64 years young and I could not imagine giving up my license, EVER. I'm sorry but it should not be left up to the individual as most of us feel we are great drivers regardless of how others may feel. Just ask that New Braunfels driver and I am sure he feels there ain't a problem with his driving and how dare you suggest that he give up his license.
I sincerely feel that the drivers doctor should be required to notify the DMV of any elderly patient that they feel is no longer safe behind the wheel. OR The DMV should start testing a driver every year after age 70 on not just his driving ability but his comprehension and reaction time to any given driving situations.
Here in Florida a huge number of drivers are well into Senior Citizen status. You see them barely able to walk, totally bewildered as to where they parked. Their reaction time is nearly non-existent and yet they climb back in behind the wheel and darn near kill someone as they back out of that handicap spot and than drive that big Buick, Caddy or Lincoln out into rush hour traffic.
BUT passing such a law would be a politician's death knell. The Seniors are very strong believers in our voting privilege's and wouldn't hesitate voting someone out of office for some perceived misjustice to their way of life.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I know what you mean. Back when I was a police officer I chased a car for "8" miles going east in the west bound lane. When I finally got him stopped the driver was 85 years old, thin as a pencil and the first thing he said was " Oh My officer did you see all those people going the wrong way"
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is something we all are going to have to face. You can bet when the time comes we will feel different than we do now. Because giving up driving means you have to depend on someone to take you everywhere you want to go. We are all use to going when we want to and not having to wait until someone can take you to get a loaf of bread. Therefore retire as soon as you can and enjoy as much as you can until that day comes.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
JimF, Knowing the license plate of the driver would probably not make a difference because there's nothing anyone can do about.

Rockerdude, Hope I know too. My mother's driving has always made me nervous and it has nothing to do with her age!

Glenn, know what you mean about the older drivers in Florida. They used to make me crazy.

Garin1, That is so classic and soooo sad.

Just because you haven't had an accident or a ticket since your last renewal DOES NOT mean you're a safe driver. No matter how old you are. It just means you haven't been caught. But how do you regulate it? You HAVE to pass tests when you first start and then that's it.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilage. IMO.

On Edit: I think it would be fun to be chauferred around!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
There are TWO things I have have never heard anyone admit to:

1) Being a BAD Driver

2) Being a SLOW Golfer

We all know they exist, we're just sure we aren't one of them...

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had to releive my 88 year old mother of her drivers license, She was a hazard to herself and others.When her license came up for Renewal, State of Pennsylvania, I called BMV and explained that she was no longer fit to drive.Many states can require a physical for elderly drivers, they did, she failed, no license.She still insisted that she would drive anyway..after all she had been driving for over 70 years, she knew how to drive.When The car came up for state inspection(required in PA) We saw to it that the car did not pass inspection, I told her I would have it repaired, took it to Ohio(carnapping) and never returned it to PA. I drove the 74 Buick for another 2 years, She lived another 6 years. We did what we had to do to save our Mothers life and possably the life of others. Hope someone will do the same for me if I do not have the sense to do it myself.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I hate to say it but I'm almost more scared of the drivers with the phone stuck to their ears! Last weeks ice storm, I witnessed a driver do a 360 and NEVER take the phone from his ear! He probably told the person he was talking to, "Man, you won't believe what I just did!"
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
My mother is now 89, when she was 81 she still had a license and thought she could drive. She had always been a terribile driver and had gotten much worst. She had an accident and due to her age had to take a drivers test, the idiot at the DMV passed her... I took her car and her license. She promptly bought a new bigger car and got a new license issued. Finally got that car away from her and took over her finances to keep her from buying another. She is still very upset with me over all this and STILL claims she is an excellent driver. She can't walk unassisted or open a door,etc., but she will still drive if I let her.

Some folks don't know when to quit, I plan on turning my license in way before that day comes, let my 19 year old wife drive me around. (Kidding about 19). I want to get all my traveling in way before that day comes.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Congrats to Rich (and Helen) for protecting his Mom and the rest of us. Several states (Mo is one) have a hot-line to report the incapcitated/elderly that have become a danger to themselves and others. This puts an inspection process in motion that never reveals to the individual impacted who started the wheels in motion. Saves a lot of personal grief when only the best is meant. My father quit driving voluntarily and never revealed why. I hope I am as smart when I am no longer able to drive safely.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We had to do like Rich and actually take the car for "repairs" from Ed's Mom. She was almost blind and when we asked her how she could see the signal light, she said she pulled up to the corner and when someone honked, she knew it was okay to go.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
It was a tough fight to get my mother to give up her driver's license. She was 88 at the time (she's 93 now) and a real menace, but by God, she had a license from the state of Texas saying she could drive, and she was gonna do it.

I think the answer to that is to test older drivers (you pick the age, LOL!) annually or semi annually and let the testing authority determine if they're fit to drive.

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Wifeofdano, You are correct. It is a privilege, not a right.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #15
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
How about EVERYONE at the age of 70, having to take a "driving test" to renew their license EVERY YEAR! That would weed out the drivers that shouldn't be on the road. Then a family member wouldn't have to hurt their feelings.
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw

May I offer an amendment:

"How about EVERYONE ___ having to take a "driving test" to renew their license EVERY YEAR! That would weed out the drivers that shouldn't be on the road. Then a family member wouldn't have to hurt their feelings."

????

I plead guilty for having some sensitivity to this suggestion since I am in my 75th year.

All in good humor, please accept it as such!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
There is definitive age, but your example should have quit some time ago, not just towing but driving all together.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Actually, the drivers test more often wouldn't be that bad of a thing given what driving I've seen recently. Young kids with the stereo blasting so loud that the cars around them shake, yet they are talking (or worse yet, text messaging) to someone while driving; people reading books or newspapers while driving (I pleade guilty to this one -- reading a map while driving); and the list goes on. An article (actually a broadcast) on CNN news several weeks ago equated someone speaking on a cell phone with the attention / reaction time of a person at 1.6 blood alcohol level (here .8 is legally drunk). But as my father used to say, 'You'll (speaking to me) get that license out of my cold, riggered hand', luckily his VA Doctor had more power!!! It is an issue we won't solve but something that has to be addressed!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
My grandfather got a ticket and large fine for going wrong way on interstate. He did it again and got another ticket and a very large fine. He didn't drive after that. This was in MO. many years ago.

Just heard on the news this week that text messaging while driving is happening more all the time.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I plead guilty to being one of those "older" folks. I think I'll know when it's time for me to quit driving because of my age and infirmities. My mind is alert and reactions are still pretty good. But what I see on the highways will make your blood boil. I witnessed a guy the other day, pulling a fifth wheel, traveling in the inside lane, passed me (I was going 60 mph) talking on his cell phone (holding it with his left hand) and had a sandwich in his right hand. He was probably 50 to 55 years old (had all his hair) and the way he was changing lanes without signaling told me that HE shouldn't be driving. So, it's not just us older folks who are a menace on the highway. Those who advocate getting people off the road when they reach a certain age will be that age someday too.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote