Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Black Fresh Water

Does anyone have an idea about what is happening with my fresh water that causes it to be black when I hook up to city water or when we dispense water from our fresh water tank? Every time when we are finished camping, I remove the water heater anode rod and drain the water from the hot water tank and also drain the fresh water tank. When we get home, I spray fresh water into the water heater tank to remove any debris. I leave the rod out until the next trip then screw it back in the tank, open the pressure release valve on the water heater, hookup the fresh water hose along with a brand new water filter and pressure reducer. While filling the hot water tank, I turn on the shower and sink faucets. As soon as I turn on the faucets black water comes out for about 15 seconds, then it turns clear. Any idea why this is happening and how do I fix it?

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
The rubber/neoprene seals in the valves have gone to rot?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Thanks, I had no idea. It seams as though our hot temps here in the midwest have baked my seals. My camper is becoming more like a boat everyday, ugh!
Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Does it only do that after you put the water filter on? if is it the dry charcoal in the filter is being washed out run water through them before you hook to your water line and see if
that fixes the problem.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL \ 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Does it do it every time you turn the faucets on or just the first time after you hook up the new filter? Builder Bob might be on to something.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
The DW and I were just talking about it, the black only happens when we open the faucets the first time. We're heading out for 3 days tomorrow so I'll let water run through the filter for about a minute and see if it solves our problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Next time you use a new water filter, DO NOT CONNECT IT WITHOUT RUNNING WATER THROUGH IT TO FLUSH THE CARBON OUT. These are carbon and a spun fiber material type filters, and prior to using one connected to your trailer, all the carbon fines need to be flushed, or you will, every time, get the black carbon fines in your water tank. You also probably do not need to use a new filter every time you go camping, as long as you put the plugs back in the filter when done camping. You also do not need to drain the water heater each time, it can be left full of water until you are done camping for the season.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
You didn't say what kind of filter you're using. If a carbon one, that's your issue for certain. I mounted a whole house filter in our basement, but only use string filters as I don't want the bouncing while driving on our wonderful roads to cause this exact problem. Your Montana is too new to have a seal issue.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Next time you use a new water filter, DO NOT CONNECT IT WITHOUT RUNNING WATER THROUGH IT TO FLUSH THE CARBON OUT. These are carbon and a spun fiber material type filters, and prior to using one connected to your trailer, all the carbon fines need to be flushed, or you will, every time, get the black carbon fines in your water tank. You also probably do not need to use a new filter every time you go camping, as long as you put the plugs back in the filter when done camping. You also do not need to drain the water heater each time, it can be left full of water until you are done camping for the season.
Oops, I had no idea about putting the caps back on the filter when done. The filter we use is the Camco Taste Pure canister. Our last outing was to Middlebury, Indiana (Labor Day), the campground we stayed at, their water water smelled terrible and left a rusty looking stain on our hose apparently due to a small leak at the hydrant connection. Anyway last night preparing for our departure today, I was going to fill the water heater tank, I took the filter out of my storage tub and rusty water drained out of the filter. Needless to say, I threw it away and installed a new filter, then the black water appeared. As for draining the water heater tank each time, our dealer told us that if we experience bad smelling water, then it is probably due to stale water in the hot water tank and to eliminate the condition we should drain it after each outing.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
rohrmann is correct. If you look at the label on the Camco filter, it will tell you to flush it out the first time prior to use. If you do that, you will see the charcoal debris for a short time. The Camco filter will provide some protection to enable you to use the water for showers and such. That filter should be good for several months. Also note, the filter label states not to run over 50 psi through the filter. I found that out the hard way. We installed an Aquasauna 3 filter system in the island for drinking water. That way we ensure the quality of what we consume. Every area has their own definition of what potable water is. lol Also, I only drain and flush the hot water heater (12 gallon) twice per year. We've not had an issue with the hot water smelling bad. Hope this info helps.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just my 2 cents. I think the others may be correct to the fact that the filter could be causing your issues. I always cap both ends of mine while not in use. You never know what will try to build a nest in there.

In opposition to what has been said, I always drain the water heater / fresh tank and lines after each trip. You can buy a anode/drain valve combo for the heater to make it tool free and very easy to do.

I see no benefit to leaving any water in the system while sitting idle. I would think there would be a much greater chance of mold/algae growing in the tanks and lines from the standing water left in them.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Just my 2 cents. I think the others may be correct to the fact that the filter could be causing your issues. I always cap both ends of mine while not in use. You never know what will try to build a nest in there.

In opposition to what has been said, I always drain the water heater / fresh tank and lines after each trip. You can buy a anode/drain valve combo for the heater to make it tool free and very easy to do.

I see no benefit to leaving any water in the system while sitting idle. I would think there would be a much greater chance of mold/algae growing in the tanks and lines from the standing water left in them.
I do the same. Stagnant water in an enclosed water heater in high temps is a likely breeding ground for algae.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I drain WH after staying a certain CG, if not, next trip is rotten egg shower, they have a high sulpher content in the well water there. I started taking (2) extra cans of water from home so i dont have to replenish there. Otherwise only at the end of the season.

I don't think algae can grow in the dark without sugar or some other "food" it needs photosynthesis to grow

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I always put my anode back in finger tight after draining the water heater.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #15
airboatart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17939
If you use a new filter you must let the water run thru it till it runs clear before hooking to trailer. This should stop your black water.
airboatart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never removed the anode after camping will have to think about that. We have always flushed out a new filter before use.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We had an issue with the water smelling bad in our old fiver. With our current rig, we always empty the hot water heater and take out the anode when it's not in use. We have never had the smelly water problem again.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Thank you - I did exactly as suggested and no black water came out of my faucets. I noticed that when I turned on the water to the filter before hooking to camping black water came went out on the ground. Guess I'd better read the instructions first next time.