Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Slide button/switch

Not sure if all the montys have just one button to operate the slides, but the 3400rl has just the one switch.
Is there any way to get behind the switch and put in individual slide switches and plate covers?? I know you can go to the hydrolics and shut off individual slides that way, but I haven't played with them yet.
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Really doubt that you can control a particular slide from a switch without signficant cost and modification of the hydraulics. Just thinking about it and visualizing the hydrualics in my Mountaineer you would need 3 electric / hydraulic solenoids for the individual slides, plus some sort of backflow preventing 'valve', otherwise once the slide you were actually trying to move was done, the next one in the chain would start to pressurize and move. Don't have the foggiest on the cost, I looked at the complexity about 2 years ago and decided I would just deal with it (I don't even have the control knobs to block mine so I'd have to get that as well .
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There are SOB units that have seperate inside toggles for each slide, so it can be done at the plant. Would seem a retro fit could be done. Suggest PMing MIMF if he does not show up here soon, he would be able to tell ya.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
AlleninMontana

I do know from trial and error and identifying the 4 slides, the (4) hydraulic knobs in the front storage can easily be controlled. I did have to tag them though cause they're not in 1234 order from how the slides open and close. The order is good however, for being on the road and needing access to the kitchen cause that is the 2nd one to open, LvRoom next, then the big slide. So, in our case we don't actually need to open all of them for access while towing. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
No biggy, just go into the front compartment and look at the top of the hydraulic valve block. Each valve is labeled on the top. Just Shut the valves for the slides you don't want out... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, thanks for that. I will have to look cause I didn't notice at first glance any id of the 4 valve knobs.

Sometimes I miss the obvious. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks from here also will take a look today
Allen
Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The hydraulic valves were an option, so you may not have them.

To have individual slide switches would require 12V solenoid valves on each of the four hydraulic lines. Any of the switches would turn on the pump, but only the slide with the open solenoid would move. It would not be too bad of a retrofit, just a little pricey for the electric valves.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Depending on the year, your switches may or may not be labeled. The way I remember it, Al had to label ours.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Mine are clearly labeled on the top of the manifold. Easy to pull in the kitchen slide to check the tires on that side and connect or disconnect the dump hose if we still need the unit open for some reason.

Some SOB units have individual toggle switches on their slides because they are using electrical slides, not hydraulic slides. I wouldn't be surprised if Keystone/Montana comes out with some kind of easy-to-operate selector system soon. These units evolve and the upgrades keep us trading up.

Just remember, more electronics mean additional cost and additional points of possible failure. We so seldom need to deal with individual slides, I am not sure I want to pay for the extra sophistication. The manifold system has worked nicely though not "push button".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Just went and checked my 05 3400 and they ae not labeled so I will have to play with them as to which is which and get them labeled
thanks
Allen
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I didn't think mine were labeled either when I first looked at the valves but I had to take my hat off and get my eye above the top of the manifold to see the stickers, I then used a Sharpie to put an initial for each one next to each valve. Then I don't have to look every time and don't have to use more gray matter to remember which is which. So little usable stuff left... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey hey gang,

The technology is available to operate each individual slide room, hydraulic landing gear legs and hydraulic rear stabilizers all with one pump.

If you ever get the chance to look at a late model DoubleTree Mobile Suite, Select Suite Elite Suite, or a Forest River Day Dreamer, you will be able to understand how it is done. These units are an example of the technology and parts that are used to operate 2,3 or 4 slide rooms, front landing gear legs and rear stabilizers from one (1), yes I said one (1) pump.

Everything is simply plumbed basicically to a manifold with a cluster of 12 volt coil-valves. 1 coil valve controls one object. What I mean is, there is a coil-valve for each room as well as a wall switch for each room. There is a coil-valve for the front landing gear legs as well as a switch on the front corner and a coil-valve and switch for the rear stabilizers.

When you touch any one of those switches, 2 things happen. The pump fires and the coil-valve opens and sends the pressurized fluid to the cylinder that the coil-valve controls. Of course, keep in mind that depending on which end of the toggle switch you press, you are sending a signal to the 1 solenoid switch on the pump motor as to which way it needs to rotate to make whatever you are operating to move in the correct direction. This is all being done in a milisecond.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. To see these systems in action is a thing of beauty....a poetic dance.... a sight to behold!!

So, as I said. The technology is there. You can control as many different things as you want with 1 pump and the proper electronics. It's available to Keystone. It is very expensive!

You all can bet that, some day I will have a unit that can do the poetic dance. Whether I have to "special order" it or take one right off the lot. I pray that within the next couple of years or so, Keystone sees the light.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Hey hey gang,

The technology is available to operate each individual slide room, hydraulic landing gear legs and hydraulic rear stabilizers all with one pump.

If you ever get the chance to look at a late model DoubleTree Mobile Suite, Select Suite Elite Suite, or a Forest River Day Dreamer, you will be able to understand how it is done. These units are an example of the technology and parts that are used to operate 2,3 or 4 slide rooms, front landing gear legs and rear stabilizers from one (1), yes I said one (1) pump.

Everything is simply plumbed basicically to a manifold with a cluster of 12 volt coil-valves. 1 coil valve controls one object. What I mean is, there is a coil-valve for each room as well as a wall switch for each room. There is a coil-valve for the front landing gear legs as well as a switch on the front corner and a coil-valve and switch for the rear stabilizers.

When you touch any one of those switches, 2 things happen. The pump fires and the coil-valve opens and sends the pressurized fluid to the cylinder that the coil-valve controls. Of course, keep in mind that depending on which end of the toggle switch you press, you are sending a signal to the 1 solenoid switch on the pump motor as to which way it needs to rotate to make whatever you are operating to move in the correct direction. This is all being done in a milisecond.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. To see these systems in action is a thing of beauty....a poetic dance.... a sight to behold!!

So, as I said. The technology is there. You can control as many different things as you want with 1 pump and the proper electronics. It's available to Keystone. It is very expensive!

You all can bet that, some day I will have a unit that can do the poetic dance. Whether I have to "special order" it or take one right off the lot. I pray that within the next couple of years or so, Keystone sees the light.
Just curious, does the hydraulic system on the Keystones operate the slides in and out by reversing the pump? Looks like a reversing solenoid mounted on the pump unit in our Mountaineer. I replaced a cylinder back in the summer, but I didn't dig around in the system too deep. I would think if you could find those 12v solenoids wholesale, you could put together that package pretty reasonable. I don't really have a need for it on our unit (only two slides), as we can access everything with the slides in. But, I have seen some units where they would be nice.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yes Will, the slide motor reverses.

I added another reversing solenoid to my landing gear so I could add lower amperage relays for my remote control system.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 AM   #16
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Will,

On top of the pump motor is a solenoid switch. That switch is wired to the wall switch which signals the solenoid switch to reverse the polarity to the motor. The pump is designed to pressurize the fluid equally from both ports no matter which way it rotates. However, the pressure rating is governed on each port by the pressure relief valve in each port.

Almost all of you with the later model Parker pumps have a psi rating of 2200 psi. The pump in my unit is rated at 2800 psi on the extend side because of the hydraulic legs but, only 2200 on the retract. It also has a larger reservoir because now this pump has to supply enough fluid to extend 4 slide rooms and 2 hydraulic landing gear legs. There are 2 14" stroke cylinders in each leg. So, you could imagine that, by the time I get the 2 legs extended and the coach leveled, then go extend all 4 slide rooms, I have used a goodly portion of the fluid in the reservoir.

I don't know exactly how much that would be but, I know that when everything is retracted and then I extend the legs and rooms, the fluid level drops about an inch and a quarter.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
What would be real cool is having two separate systems that could be interconnected by a cross-over valve should one power pack fail.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #18
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
MIMF,

Your comment sounds like maybe like something that is in the 10th Anniversary Limited Addition? Its stated as having a Fully Remote Control for Slides and Landing gear.

Maybe they heard your improvement coments.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote