Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Bed Frame coming loose from slide wall

This is the second time wood bed frame has come loose from bedroom slide wall. This time reattached screws to the slide wall in different locations. The first time dealer used larger screws and they pulled out after two years. This is not the best way to solve this problem. Anyone have a better way to attach the bed frame to the slide wall?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you think about the lack of structure in that slide wall, it will become clear. Screws, no matter how large, are not going to hang in thin, thin (1/8") wallboard. And this will be moreso if that bedframe doesn't roll smooth when the slide is operated. One of my rollers had actually pulled out of the wood...yep too short wood screws...and was causing my frame to come apart at the foot end. SO...the idea is to bond to the slide wall surface rather than trying to screw into it. Mechanical fasteners have to have structure to bolt/screw into. IF keystone actually designed it so that it attached to aluminum square tubing in that wall, the screws would have really deep threads to hold. My guess is the screws are shallow thread and there was no design work done. So now that I have bored you and convinced you that I am being negative toward keystone...do yourself a favor and do the work yourself. If you bond 3/4" wood to the slide wall, you should be able to bond the same to the side rails then mechanical fassten the two together with beefy steel ell brackets. OR your frame design may allow the rails to connect to wood bonded to the wall some other way without lenghtening the head to foot distance. Hope this gets you thinking in the right direction... John
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I had a similar problem, I just purchased some 'L' brackets and strengthen the bed frame tat way....so far so good.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The L brackets seem to me to be the answer and screw them to the floor on each side of the bed, if you can get to it, either on the outside of the frame or on the inside of the frame. Just make sure you are not putting those screws into a hydraulic line or an electrical wire under the floor.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
navybanker:

I had the same problem with the bed frame in my 2012 - 3402RL and suspect that yours is mounted in a similar manner. Here is a picture of the original means of fastening the bed frame to the slide wall. As you can see this is pure crap and was bound to fail. It was fastened with 4 screws, when the dealer removed the slide to repair a frame flex problem they used the same screws but narrowly missed the original holes thus creating a larger hole which could not hold the force of opening the slide and pulling the bed out particularly when the wheels had also twisted.

I took my bed frame out of the unit and repaired the way the wheels mount and fixed other just plain crappy workmanship on the frame. I then added a piece of plywood and a 2x4 at the head of the bed, I also fastened the bottom of the sides to the floor in the raised section with screws being careful not to have screws extend through the floor of the slide.

You could use L brackets but there is not much to fasten them to on the bottom of the frame and they do nothing to hold the head of the frame to the wall, it would be better than original but if you are prepared to do it right once and for all then you will have to do a little more than brackets. Be sure the wheels are properly supported and will not twist in the future, adding additional support in that area will also solve that problem.

This picture shows the plywood and 2x4 at the head of the frame which was all glued and screwed together, no staples were used for my repair.

Fix it right and never worry about it again. Good luck.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
dinkitech
Established Member

M.O.C. #14324
Had the same problem on my 2010 Big Sky. Glued up two pieces of 6"x3/4 plywood to the ends a piece of 3/4" plywood that just fits between the uprights on the bedframe. Drilled pocket holes in the ends of the plywood to the bedframe uprights, used 2" screws plywood to bedframe. 3/4" plywood just fits vertically between upright bolts in slide and slide wall. Two wedges between bolts and plywood and the load and forces are spread over a large area and no worries about screws into sidewall.
dinkitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thanks for help! Now to make it home to do the proper repair. Last night about 3:30 am we were aroused by what sounded like the whole bedroom slide falling out! Got up looked all around outside and inside but couldn't find any problem. I was afraid a holding tank had fallen. Finally, next morning after several cups of coffee, looked at the bed to make sure it wasn't again the problem. Well the heavy duty bed lifts installed to handle the extra weight of a 3" pad were loose and the 2 x 4 installed by factory under the plywood bed platform that the lifts were attached to was on the floor. The 2 x 4 was attached by staples! We may have to sleep on the floor until arriving home. We are now helping the bedroom slide go out by pushing from the foot of the bed.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 09-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The joys of RV'ing are endless. We had many of the same problems mentioned . On our 06 3400 One wheel was never installed on the 13 3402 they were improperly installed. We also added L brackets.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
belldog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4165
Thanks for info and pics this what my problem is. When I get back home I will try some of these fixes.
belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 AM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
We made it home and now for the hard part being the repair. I have reread and reviewed the pictures on this thread and have several questions before "tearing" into the bedframe and slide wall.

1. How is the plywood floor under the bed attached to the slide wall?
2. What glue/bonding are you guys using to attach plywood/2x4 to slide wall and bedframe? 3. How do you keep screws from hitting electrical wires in slide wall? 4. Apparently, the slide wall has 1/8" wall board in it to attach to!? 5. Where do you place the metal L brackets? 6. I assume the plywood "floor" is 5/8" since the rest of the floor in the camper is supposedly this size?
Thanks and sorry for such questions since I am not a carpenter or engineer. I want as much info as possible before removing mattress and plywood to get to the frame itself.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 10-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have had two similar problems now that I fulltime.

The single panel headboard fell off. Reinstalled it just slightly different so that it was all new holes and added two more screws for extra strength.

The second problem was that the drawer assembly was separating from the wall. That was caused by the weight of our clothing in full drawers and there were only THREE SCREWS holding the back supports to the wall! Really! Now I've installed SIX. Again, so far, so good.

Now I know what to do when the bed fails.

Of course, I'm only talking about the bedroom. I have had to shore up many other areas of the rig. They sure build these rigs too fast in trying to keep things cheaper.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Update, also found the bedroom slide was leaking again at the bottom back corners. Found the floor rotten at the corners. Took to dealer that had worked on leaks before. I told them to rebuild the bed frame and attach to the slide wall studs and to a new floor at the back. They found the two center wall studs were missing and that the old floor was not correctly installed. They said the slide had too much flex causing leaks to reappear! They also said the carpet was placed under the wall instead just to the wall. Studs installed, bed frame rebuilt, carpet replaced, frame bolted to slide floor. They also rotated tires and did some minor cosmetic repairs inside the camper. Original estimate was $4,200 just replacing the slide floor. They charged $3,100 for everything. Hopefully, this will solve the leaks and the bed frame coming loose. This was being done as my truck was in the shop for two weeks trying to get out of limp mode for bad DEF. That was not the problem. This was covered under warranty. This is a whole story in itself. Enough for one post!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bobby-- Sorry to hear of the problem. Concerning the carpet being under the wall is common because before the install the walls they lay the carpet. We saw this at one of the factory tours at the Fall Rally.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #14
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
While your rebuilding the bed, change out those off center castors. they will just pry out of the bottom due to acting like a lever. I installed strait castors, so the weight of the bed actually pushes strait down on the wheel and not off center.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote