Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
Montana 3400RL owners & LT tires

Greetings everyone,
After my share of blowouts and reading, re-reading and reading again the postings on tires here on the forum I think I have decided to switch to LT tires. Even though the G rated tires seem the best option, I would rather not go to the extra expense since we are part time travelers and I would also have to replace the rims.

My question: What experience have any of you owners of the 3400RL had after switching the LT tires? I am looking at the Michelin XPS rib or the Bridgestone Duravis 250.

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I've switched to LT tires, E rated, on my 2013 343RL High Country. I may weigh a little less than yours, but after a blowout that caused damage to my Monte, there's no other way to go. I'm convinced that there are no ST tires that are 1) not foreign made, 2) are trustworthy.

I went with the 4 - Uniroyal LT 235/85 R16 120/1160 M+8 - U.S. made and according the folks here, everyone has seemed to have good luck.

Since I'm lighter, I was able to go with the E tire, which has an maximum inflation of 80 psi, something my rims can handle. A G rated tire may need a 100+ psi inflation, which in my case would have required new rims.

YMMV
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Saying you have had your share of blowouts and looking at all the states you have been in even being part time travelers I would go to G rated tires. Just one blowout could be fatal to you or someone else. This is just my opinion but safety is number one with me.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With E rated tires on our 2006 3400 we exceeded the tire load rating. We did travel a lot and run a bit heavy but not overweight. We went with the 13 3402)same floor plan) because it had G6 14 tires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I put BFG Commercial TA's E rated on our 2008 3400RL and according to CAT scales was well within tire rating. We can't afford as many toys as Rich! We were just under 11,000 on axles. Those tires worked well until the big recall and they were replaced with Michelins at no charge.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Went to the BFG TAs 2 years ago when 2 of my OEM Marathons "bubbled". I am also right at about 11,000 on the rear axles for our normal "loaded" beach week, less for our weekend getaways.

On Monday the left rear tire failed and trashed everything from there on back. Wheel well trim, slideout trim, tore off the whole rear quarter panel, tore up the insulation all the way to the floor. Luckily no one behind me was hurt by the flying debris. Good Sams ERS was there within an hour to help me change it. Not bad for a busy holiday. btw - check ed pressures and condition not 30 minutes earlier when leaving the campground. Maybe picked up a nail and lost pressure? TPMS is on the shopping list regardless.

The worst part was towing home with a a Marathon (spare) as the replacement. Kept looking in the mirror for a bubble! So...back to square one in the quest for reliable tires.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Bish, there are good LT tires out there. From personal experience and many miles on our prev 2008 3400, we had Bridgestone Duravis 500HD. They among others will do the job. Look in on tirerack.com for pricing on your choices. I did well on purchasing them and they send them UPS right to your home. Just a consideration. Good luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
When considering replacing your tires on your Montana, and because the OP has indicated he is looking at LT tires both having a Max load rating of 3042 lbs, here is something you might want to consider from a legal standpoint.

S4.2.2 Tire load limits for multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, and trailers.

S4.2.2.1 Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load
ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle’s certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.

S4.2.2.2 When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire’s load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle.

This ruling was taken from a website that also has all the rules regarding the labels and what they must contain on our trailers and trucks. Take from it what you want. I am not a lawyer or a tire expert but I am finding out many things that give me cause to be careful in what I replace my tires with. My 3402RL will never again see a load range E tire. LT or otherwise.

IMHO the only choice on heavier units is to go to a load range "G" tire.

Here is the website: http://lemon.onecle.com/fmvss-standard-no-110/

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
11,000 lbs on the axles why Helen has 11K of craft stuff in the camper.... . Our last set of E range Lt ties on the 06 34000 were Generals made in the chec republic rated at 3082 at 80 psi.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bish

Greetings everyone,
After my share of blowouts and reading, re-reading and reading again the postings on tires here on the forum I think I have decided to switch to LT tires. Even though the G rated tires seem the best option, I would rather not go to the extra expense since we are part time travelers and I would also have to replace the rims.

My question: What experience have any of you owners of the 3400RL had after switching the LT tires? I am looking at the Michelin XPS rib or the Bridgestone Duravis 250.
Steve, before you make a decision, you need actual weights you are carrying on the trailer axles. What are the axles on your trailer rated at? 6K or 7K? If you have 7K axles then you must have 7K wheels.

We need more info from you before a recommendation can be made.

In my case my 2014 3150RL weighs 10,400lbs on the axles. The axles are 7K Dexter. They are rated @6,750lbs each because of the OEM Marathon tires. I installed Duravis 250 tires. I have 2000 miles on them with no issues. I have no problem with down rating my axles due to my tire selection. Because of the tire down rate, I do not think I can go into Canada, but that is not on my trip plans, so not a issue.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Jim if you were referring to not being able to go into Canada based on what I posted then I must inform you these are "not" Canadian regulations, they are American, and come directly from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and the Department of Transportation. All divisions of the US Government. Nothing to do with Canada.

RV's produced in the US and shipped to Canada do have to have components that comply with Canadian safety and electrical standards like CSA and ULC listings, my references are/were to US regulations not Canadian.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't think either country would allow that if you have 7,000 lb axles (3500 lbs per wheel), that you are allowed to use tires at less that rating. It happens, because they haven't noticed, but if any LEO just happened to check and find this. They'd pull you over and not allow you to continue until this is remedied.

Remember how some people think? I'm not speeding until I get caught or if I hurt someone. I don't think like that, but know many others that do. Same with weight compliance and equipment ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bish

Greetings everyone,

Steve, before you make a decision, you need actual weights you are carrying on the trailer axles. What are the axles on your trailer rated at? 6K or 7K? If you have 7K axles then you must have 7K wheels.

We need more info from you before a recommendation can be made.

In my case my 2014 3150RL weighs 10,400lbs on the axles. The axles are 7K Dexter. They are rated @6,750lbs each because of the OEM Marathon tires. I installed Duravis 250 tires. I have 2000 miles on them with no issues. I have no problem with down rating my axles due to my tire selection. Because of the tire down rate, I do not think I can go into Canada, but that is not on my trip plans, so not a issue.

Jim

I have 7K Dexter axles and just weighed the Monte coming in at 10,700 lbs

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Steve, If your loaded trailer weighs 10,700 on the axles then a good LT should be fine.

I went with Duravis 250 because it is a all steel tire. The OEM Marathon weigh 37lbs. The Duravis weighs 22 lbs more @ 59 lbs. Is a all steel constructed tire and is rated @ 99 mph.

If any of my facts are incorrect, pls feel free to correct me.

The price difference in a Duravis 250 and a G614 is such in my market area was almost $400 extra for 4x G614. Thus, I went for a 250. I bought them for $232 plus tax and mount. As for Michelin, I refuse to buy them since France refused to help us in Iraq. ( a old retired guy where we help our friends )

My OEM Marathon tires are speed rated @ 65 and on the interstate I probably will not limit my speed to that. I travel in the Mid-west in the summer and temp's in the 100's are the norm and the pavement temps are 130+. I want a good tire.

I would bet if I asked 100 State Troopers about tire requirements not a one would have a clue. Maybe a Trooper assigned to the DOT and weight and measurements division might have some input.

I have been Rv'ing for 20+ years and I have yet to be checked for tires. Been hauling trailers for 30 years before that and never checked. So for 50 years of hauling, never been checked, I consider it a non issue to worry about some FSS regulation that no one reads.

As for weights, Art mentioned something. I have a reasonably light 5th wheel, I decided I needed a 8' box DRW truck. I know my weights are both within the GAWR of both the truck and trailer. Within the GVWR of the truck. The OP is hauling a 3400 with a '08 short bed SRW F350 that we do not know his weights of his truck, the GVWR of his truck or the GAWR of his truck.

I suspect he is either over weight on his rear axle or close to it. Probably for sure over his GVWR with his trailer hooked up.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We ran Firestone TransForce LTs for four years and traveled cross country on them. This year we went with Michelin MSII.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Bish, you will be fine with a good LT tire.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Bish, there are good LT tires out there. From personal experience and many miles on our prev 2008 3400, we had Bridgestone Duravis 500HD. They among others will do the job...
Same here, Bridgestone Duravis 500s did fine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As a fairly new MOC member actively participating in these forums I have seen quite a number of requests posted by other members seeking advise in selecting replacement tires for their RV’s.

Sometimes those seeking advise have had an issue with the OE tire on their unit, some have yet to have a problem but because of problems encountered by friends, along with what they read in these forums they want to get rid of their current ST tires. Whatever the reason they are all looking for the same thing, a feeling of safety when pulling their RV’s with respect to their tires.

Before I am willing to make suggestions regarding tires I ask myself these questions:

1)Is it good advise for me to recommend that someone else buy LT tires based on the fact that I have had no problem with them.
2)Is it good advise for me to recommend that someone reduce an already downgraded 7k axle from 6750 lbs to 6084 lbs (3042 x 2) without knowing for sure there can be no legal ramifications if he does so.
3)Is it good advise for me to recommend buying an LT tire based on the likelihood that law enforcement officers will know nothing about the law regarding the tires we use.
4)Is it good advise for me to recommend an LT tire without knowing very closely what load you will be carrying on those tires.

For myself the answer to all of the above is “NO”. With reference to #2 – I do not have the answer to the legal aspect, therefore I do not want to recommend a tire that might work great and relieve your concerns about your tires, but put you at risk of a lawsuit should you be involved in an accident.

Here is what I am willing to do, I will recommend you contact Keystone and request an appointment to take your RV to the factory repair depot for tire replacement, or when ordering a new unit, ask them to change out the OE tires on any unit with a 7k axle to an LT tire rated at 3042 lbs. If they will do it without hesitation/question, then by all means fill your boots.

I would also recommend replacing the Goodyear Marathons on units with 7k axles and a GVWR approaching 15,000 lbs with a Load Range G tire but only if it is speed rated at higher than 65 mph. That recommendation does not leave many options unfortunately.

What anyone else recommends is up to them, I am not being critical of others recommendations.

The legislation I have researched was for my own information, however I thought it prudent to share what I found with those contemplating new tires and those recommending a specific type tire.

Changes need to be made, starting at the factories, until then make the most informed decision you can regarding tire replacement.

By the way bish I have today ordered 5 - G614 tires, they will cost me $432.00 each and I will be getting $100.00 each for my Goodyear Marathons on trade. I cannot afford this cost either, but I will feel secure in knowing my tires meet/exceed the rating of my axles and greatly exceed my known load. I also will have the added security of my new TST system.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I have to agree with our friend from the north.

With out knowing the weights, no one can give him the answer to his question. What works for one, is a problem for someone else.

I chose to be happy with my 7K axles to be degraded to 6K axles. I still have 7K brakes, 7K springs, 7K bearings, and tires rated at 6K and 99 mph carrying a load of 10,400 between 4 tires rated @12,000.

G614's for me is overkill. On my last Newmar with 13,400 on the 7K axles, I had G614's and needed them.

Jim

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Our 3400 weighs over 12500 lbs on the axles fully loaded. But we have the level up and the IS system which adds some weight.

Weigh yours to be sure.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote