Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Thomas Payne Theater Recliner

Besides the inverter going out on the trip last week, DW said her half of the recliner does not work. No lights on the arm rest. I could not diagnose the problem until we got back home. So yesterday I got my multi-meter and some other tools and started my investigation. I noticed that when I flipped the recliners forward I heard something rattling in plastic. If you have ever looked underneath these thing you will notice a 4" by 4" black plastic box. On one end there is a power supply. On the opposite side the are 4 connection ports. Ours uses 2 of these connection. One for the motor and the other for the armrest selector. I took the black box out there was a very loud rattle inside. I got the offending element to come out of a large hole on the box. It seems that a coil has come loose from the circuit board. To verify that this was the problem, I moved the black box from the other side and all worked. So I emailed Lippert about getting a replacement box. Hopefully they will come through with a solution.

RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Well done. It's very helpful to be handy and be able to identify root cause. Hopefully you'll get the part you need with their gratitude that they didn't also have to pay a shop for labor.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Seeing that Thomas Payne furniture is actually Lippert, you might have better and quicker success by calling Lippert directly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Seeing that Thomas Payne furniture is actually Lippert, you might have better and quicker success by calling Lippert directly.

My second to the last sentence in my original post said that I emailed Lippert.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Just a quick update. The black control box finally arrived late yesterday afternoon. It had been on back order for over a week. The part itself cost about $45 but Lippert charged about $20 for UPS ground shipping and handling. I thought that was a bit high but what can you do. Very simple install. It took 10 minutes. Now DW chair reclines. She's a happy camper.

This was a much better way to deal with issue. It took 2 weeks from start to finish. The 5th wheel stayed in the garage at the house protected from some of the bad storms we have had recently. If I took it to the dealer, I would have to drive 140 miles round trip twice, it would be there for at least 2 months before they could get to it, then probably charge me way more than $65. Life is good!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Just a quick update. The black control box finally arrived late yesterday afternoon. It had been on back order for over a week. The part itself cost about $45 but Lippert charged about $20 for UPS ground shipping and handling. I thought that was a bit high but what can you do. Very simple install. It took 10 minutes. Now DW chair reclines. She's a happy camper.

This was a much better way to deal with issue. It took 2 weeks from start to finish. The 5th wheel stayed in the garage at the house protected from some of the bad storms we have had recently. If I took it to the dealer, I would have to drive 140 miles round trip twice, it would be there for at least 2 months before they could get to it, then probably charge me way more than $65. Life is good!
Completely agree with the way you handled this! If you can fix it yourself 9 times out of 10 you are money ahead. I understand the folks that are not handy taking things to a repair shop (please folks don't take it to a SALES dealership) but your absolutely right that they take too long and you have to get it there. We are full time and cannot be without our rig so if I can't fix it myself (which isn't much) we rely on a mobile repair guy.

If you own one of these things you almost have to work on them yourself and if you aren't handy you need to learn! That's why this Forum is so valuable!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote