Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
MORE weather

Last week it was OK, KS, MO, and other states that got hit with that horrid ice storm.

This weekend, I guess we get a shot at some nasties:

Saturday Night: Occasional snow, mainly after midnight. Steady temperature around 28. Blustery, with a northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Periods of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Blustery, with a north northwest wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. West northwest wind between 10 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

Next screen reads:

LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA SATURDAY AFTERNOON
OR EARLY EVENING...BECOMING HEAVY TOWARD SUNDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL
CONTINUE DURING THE DAY...WITH NORTHERLY WIND GUSTS TO 30 MPH
CAUSING REDUCED VISIBILITIES DUE TO SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF AT LEAST 5 INCHES IS EXPECTED...WITH THE
POTENTIAL OF 10 INCHES BY LATE SUNDAY

Now, we gotta get through Fort Wayne Indiana when we leave, their forecasts kinda stinks too:

Saturday: Periods of snow, mainly after 9am. High near 30. East wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Periods of snow with areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Blustery, with a northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday: Periods of snow with areas of blowing snow, mainly before 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 26. Blustery, with a north wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Areas of blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Breezy, with a west wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.

(Note: if you add up the high numbers here, they could get like 17 inches of snow in 2 days?? PLUS blowing?? YIKES!!!)

And, the next page reads:

SNOWFALL WILL DEVELOP DURING THE DAY SATURDAY...AND INTENSIFY
SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING WITH HEAVY SNOW LIKELY. TOTAL
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH LOCALLY
HIGHER AMOUNTS. NORTHEAST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30
MPH ARE ALSO EXPECTED AND WILL CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW
THAT WILL SEVERELY IMPACT TRAVEL IN THE AREA THROUGH SUNDAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

Think we will wait a couple more days before we try to leave for the RGV, eh??

Hey folks, be safe, a nice campground to honker down in sounds pretty good bout now! If you don't have to be out in this, stay home!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mrs. CountryGuy, Love your posts, this one kind of remindes me of the Shining with Jack Nicholson.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
HAHA, not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When a Texan tells you to "git out o' town before sundown", you better listen.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, this WINTER Texan, ain't moving NO WHERE anytime in the next 48 hours. My cowgirl boots and hat are in Tana, waiting, and they are just gonna have to wait a bit more for this gal and her hubbie to cross back into Texas.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If you are going to try to pull your Monty through that stuff, Carol, my sympathies will quickly shift from Iceman in N. Alberta to you...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No way Dave,

Tana is partially packed, only stuff that will not freeze, we will pack my books and clothes tomorrow, then we will close the slides till this blizzard blows outta here. Then we will check the weather and all road conditions, see if the campgrounds are open or snowed under and then make some decisions. Basically we will start looking at conditions on Sunday evening, had hoped for Monday departure, but after they changed that report from 4 to 8 inches of snow to maybe more than 12, and tossed in the wind just for fun and giggles, we have adjusted our time frame to hoping for Tuesday.

All last week we had just enough ice to keep us from loading, now this, that said, we ain't in Kansas. I still shudder to think how bad it really is there. Have good friends near Norman OK, I have no idea how they are.

So, we sit and are very thankful, we have power and heat and the generator is still in the pole barn, NOT running, NOT needed.

Mother Nature is exercising her brats. Most important thing is tho

FOLKS BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That latest cold front and storm will also affectt us down here in Davenport, Fla. The local weather report is indicating it may go as low as 60 degrees and maybe even rain. There goes my sun tan...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Be nice Rich!

Don't rub it in toooooooooo much!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Carol They are precicting 3 to 6 inches in Ft Wayne but up to 10 in the counties south of here. You are probably smart waiting at least until Mon. Not sure what the forcast is for the Indy area.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carol..You guys be verrryyy careful till you get out of the freeze zone. The weather is horrible in your flight path. Don't even leave till it is clear..
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron, I like the sounds of your numbers a WHOLE lot better!!!

From the same internet site as I quoted above, here is Indianapolis:

Saturday: Occasional snow, mixing with freezing rain after 1pm. High near 32. East wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Occasional snow, freezing rain and sleet, becoming all snow after 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 24. Blustery, with a northeast wind between 17 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Blustery, with a north northwest wind between 22 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

By the way, this is the URL I have been watching:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/

I just looked at Fort Wayne again, and those numbers of up to 17 inches are still posted on that site.

But, like I said, I like your numbers a bunch better!

Al and I will wave at cha when we go by, WHEN we go by!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Our forecast is about the same here in the Northwest except............Your inches of snow is our inches of Rain.
Today......Rain
Saturday...Rain
Sunday.....Rain
Monday.....Rain
Tuesday....More Rain
Oh well, at least you don't have to shovel it !!!
We just have to find a Highway that hasn't washed away when he leave
to go South after Christmas .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I hope they are wrong. I got the snow blower in the garage ready to go but don't want use it. Hope you get out of town soon. Be careful
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

Our forecast is about the same here in the Northwest except............Your inches of snow is our inches of Rain.
Today......Rain
Saturday...Rain
Sunday.....Rain
Monday.....Rain
Tuesday....More Rain
Oh well, at least you don't have to shovel it !!!
We just have to find a Highway that hasn't washed away when he leave
to go South after Christmas .

J&D
...and you just have to build an Ark...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron,

We still have the snowblower in the pole barn, we were hoping it would never make it to the garage! Not so sure if that will happen now.

I have been surfing and saving the URL's for online news casts so I can check them on the fly. Ditto for state road condition reports.

Rich, I don't want to hurt Tana, Big Butt, Al, the 3 dogs, or get hurt myself. We won't go till we feel it is safe.

All that said, Ron, I still like your numbers a WHOLE lot more than those I am seeing on the web.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Carol

You have it better then we do, I had to mow today and you don't have to do that!! Right?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Your friends in Norman are probably like the rest of us. go to www.kfor.com and watch the Thursday 10pm newscast. A huge tree split in three sections right down the middle. It took out the guys home and car. This was in norman. They still have over 20,000 without power down there.
Be Safe!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #19
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
You're right Dave,

Thats what it might take to get the Monty down to the Desert..... An Ark.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are forcasting "winter weather" Here in the Orlando, Fla area along with some severe weather(thunder storms.) We may not reach a high of 60 Monday and the morning lows could be in the 40's. We are advised to bundle up, check our heating systems and be careful with space heaters. We will hunker down and try to get through this "winter weather"