Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Dowman
Established Member

M.O.C. #7853
Slide out problem

The last time I used the slide outs on my 2008 Montana 3075 they worked fine. The trailer sat for two weeks without moving with the slide outs pulled in. It was hooked to electric the entire time. When I tried to put the slide outs back out nothing happened. I was able to open them using an electric drill on the hydraulic pump.
I assume it is a fuse somewhere but I haven't been able to locate one. Anybody have any suggestions for this old man?

Dowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
First question: does the slide work in one direction but not the other? Or does it NOT work at all now that you have extended it using a drill?

If it works in one direction but not the other you do not have a fuse problem. There is only one fuse on the 12V power supply to motor. It supplies the current regardless of which way you want the slide to go.

The motor (and pump) run in two directions (think of forward and reverse) depending on which end of the wall switch is depressed. IN is one direction, OUT is the opposite. The two output wires in the switch go to different sides on the Tromebeta Valve on the motor.

The most common cause is a failed switch followed closely by a disconnected wire on one side of the Trombeta Valve (particularly if you have lots of stuff in the garage or you have been in there checking batteries or what).

A temporary bypass is to swap the two wires on the Trombeta Valve (not the center power supply one).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sorry, but I just have to say this. Trombeta is actually a company name. Technically the device is a "reversing polarity D.C. contractor" made by the Trombeta company. But Trombeta is used something like saying Xerox to describe a copy machine. So I will also use Trombeta.

On my 2007, power to the Trombeta comes from an auto reset circuit breaker, a small metal box like object mounted on the wall in the front compartment. There are actually two, one wired to the Trombeta and one that goes to everything else. You can use a voltmeter to make sure you have power getting to the Trombeta thru the circuit breaker.

The switch to operate the slides has two wires that go to the small terminals on the Trombeta. But I have no idea if there is a fuse in line with that switch. My guess is there would be. And I would also guess it is on the 12 v fuse panel inside. But those are just guesses. You might try operating that switch while watching the fuse panel. The blown fuse indicator will only illuminate if there is a load on the circuit as when you actuate the switch.

If you have power to the Trombeta, and no obvious blown fuse, have someone go to the front compartment while you actuate the switch and see if you can hear anything at all in the way of something trying to actuate. If no sound at all, then my guess (there I go again) would be a problem in the electrical circuit somewhere. Could still be a fuse somewhere, a loose wire, a bad connection, a bad switch, a bad Trombeta, a bad motor, .....etc. A matter of step by step troubleshooting until you find the problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Dowman
Established Member

M.O.C. #7853
Thanks for the come backs. Carl the slides do not operate in either direction. I don't think I can hear the motor trying to engage. BB I will look again to try and find the reset circuit breaker. The trailer is set up in an RV park during football season and I only use it on game weekends. No game this weekend so I wont be be able to check it until next weekend. Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is a picture of my auto reset circuit breakers, under the red plastic caps. The battery wire goes to the one on the left and jumpers to the one on the right. You can see the large black wire from the one on the left going up to the slide pump. You should have 12 volts on both terminals of the breaker. Mine are auto reset, meaning they automatically reset when the overload is removed. It is possible you have manual reset breakers, meaning you must push a button on the breaker to reset it after an overload. Not typical, but anything is possible. Look for a reset button on yours.

Have you tested your battery to make sure it is good? That slide motor pulls a lot of amps.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Dowman
Established Member

M.O.C. #7853
BB, as near as I can recall the setup in my 2008 3075 looks exactly like the photo you posted. I didn't realize there were circuit breakers under the red plastic caps. I will check them out when I get back to the trailer. Thanks for all the good information.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Dowman
Established Member

M.O.C. #7853
One other question. The trailer is connected to the RV parks electric supply. All 12 volt items seem to be working. Would a bad battery prevent the slide outs from operating even when the trailer is hooked up to a power supply?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If your battery were dead, or at least very low, I don't know that the converter would supply enough power to run the slides. You might try turning off power to your trailer, then see how bright the 12 volt lights are. Dim lights would certainly be a sign of low battery. Battery voltage with power off should be something in the range of 12.7 volts I think. Best bet would be to take the battery to an auto parts store and let them load test it.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #9
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Don't know about my Montana but my previous SOB with motor driven slides would not come out with out battery. It would try but the current wasn't sufficient. Front landing jacks wouldn't work either.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but that little black item on the orange wire in the photo is probably a 40A fuse. I've blown them before.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but that little black item on the orange wire in the photo is probably a 40A fuse. I've blown them before.
You are correct. On mine though, it is for the front jacks only. And yes, I have blown mine also, when I forgot to loosen the T handles on my JT Strongarm stabilizers. In fact, I blew 3 before it dawned on me what was wrong.