Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Tires for Ford SD

Ford owners! If you have the 18" wheel, what brand of tires have you been purchasing to replaced the OEM Continentals? It seems the 18" wheel limits choice and lack of vender's.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Only ones I know of are the Continentals. Ford in Salt Lake City told me last week that they ran $200 each mounted plus sales tax.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
They are ripping you off. I just replaced my Cont last November paid $98.0 each out the door mounted. Goodyear also has them, I understand from LonnieB that Toyo has come out know with them.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Native Tex,

Broome101 is correct, the LT275/70R18 Load Range E, is now available in the TOYO Open Country A/T, but they are a little pricey. I sell them mounted and balanced for $213.00 each.

As far as the Continentals go, Broome101, if you got them for $98.00 mounted and balanced, you got one heck of a deal. My cost is quite a bit more than that, and I sell them for $152.00. Maybe your buddy had some old stock, or maybe he sold you something other than Load Range E.

illapah, I too believe you got ripped off, sorry. Shoot, you could have driven all the way down here, had a really good time, and probably had money to spare, lol.

If you want to go to another size, LT275/65R18 Load Range E, there are more companies that produce them. They are just under an inch shorter and will change the revolutions per mile, which causes the speedometer to show an incorrect reading. The speedometer can be reprogrammed at any Ford dealership quickly and easily. Around here it costs about 40 bucks.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I was hoping to try another brand....I am not a big fan of these Continentals! I think I will see if Cooper has something. Thanks for the idea on Toyo.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I didn't get ripped yet, I was just pricing as I will probably need two for the trip to Glacier in May. Good to look around.
Too bad I wasn't going to Texas, I would stop by and have you mount up a couple for me Lonnie. I may still do that, I want to go to TX next Jan for a couple of months while the snow does its thing here.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Native Tex,

Cooper does not offer anything yet, but may in the near future.

For what it's worth, I like Cooper tires, sell alot of them, and just took the second set off my pickup. I put the TOYO Open Country A/T's on and so far am extremely impressed. They have excellent traction in the snow and ice we have had lately, and they don't pull you in and out of the ruts in the highway near as bad as the Coopers.

illapah, anytime you want to come down here, just load up and come ahead on.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Native Tex,

Cooper does not offer anything yet, but may in the near future.

For what it's worth, I like Cooper tires, sell alot of them, and just took the second set off my pickup. I put the TOYO Open Country A/T's on and so far am extremely impressed. They have excellent traction in the snow and ice we have had lately, and they don't pull you in and out of the ruts in the highway near as bad as the Coopers.

illapah, anytime you want to come down here, just load up and come ahead on.
LonnieB - I am just going by the Cooper Web location where they reference the ATR in a LT275-70R/18. It an all terrain tire, but per their stats has good mileage and traction with low noise. If you sell Cooper, you may can get better information than I have at this time.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Native Tex,

The Coopers I sell and have been useing on my pickup are the Discoverer ATR that you are looking at. They DO have good traction, low noise, and a fairly high mileage rating for an AT type tread. Both sets on my pickup were taken off long before they needed to be, and both sets had around 40,000 miles on them. The only reason they were removed was to sell them to customers that needed good tires, but couldn't afford new. They probably had 15 to 20 thousand miles left in them the way I drive, and maybe more for someone that drives better, lol. If Cooper has them listed on their website, they are either available now, or very very soon. I will call my Cooper distributor tomorrow to see if he knows anything.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Native Tex,

I just got off the phone with my Cooper distributor and found out they ARE in production with the LT275/70R18 E Discoverer ATR. They are about 2 weeks from delivery in Lubbock, Tx. You should expect to pay around $230.00 each mounted and balanced, some will be a little lower, and some will be a little higher.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
LonnieB - thanks for the information. I found the Cooper ATRs at a local dealer here in Huntsville, Al. You were very close on your pricing....they are out the door at $223.00 each. I am having them installed in a week or two. Many that is high dollar for a tire. Thanks for the advice and help.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
No problem Native Tex, always a pleasure helping someone.

I'm glad you found what you wanted, and I think you will be happy with the Coopers. They are an excellent tire, as I said before, and they have a fairly high mileage potential if you keep them rotated and balanced every 6 or 8 thousand miles. The dealer you bought them from may offer this as a free service, we do when someone buys a set of 4.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Native Tex -

Keep us posted on how you like those new Coopers! I like the quiet ride on these Continentals, but they sure don't perform very well in the snow. I'm thinking they will be worse in the sand this summer.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote