Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
Gray water tanks capacity

I have a 2011 Montana hickory and the specs. state that the Gray tank holds 93 Gal. Just wondering if anyone knows how that is divided between Gray # 1 and Gray # 2 ( AKA Galley ) Sure it would not be a big concern if my tank level indicators worked correctly . Never had on this rig or my last one.

Or has anyone found anything to help clean the sensors ?
When ever we dump our tanks I flush from the bottom 2 to 3 times then from the internal black flush 2 to 3 times. And also use camp TP. not the regular house hold TP.

Thanks for your time
Dennis.

dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our 2012 also has 93 gallons of grey water capacity. The black and grey tanks are the same size, 53 gallons, so the galley tank is 40 gallons.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
Thanks Bob. I appreciate the info. Have you heard of anyone coming up with a way to keep your sensors clean so there not detecting anything on them to give a false reading.

A lot of parks we go to are not full hookups. I'm getting tired of guessing by filling my smart tote.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
One trick we use to help keep the black water tank cleaned...put in a couple bags of ice along with about 1/3 to 1/2 full tank just before heading down the road...then dump once you reach your destination...helps to scour the tank walls a little...no guarantees it will help with sensors though.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis hogan View Post
I have a 2011 Montana hickory and the specs. state that the Gray tank holds 93 Gal. Just wondering if anyone knows how that is divided between Gray # 1 and Gray # 2 ( AKA Galley ) Sure it would not be a big concern if my tank level indicators worked correctly . Never had on this rig or my last one.

Or has anyone found anything to help clean the sensors ?
When ever we dump our tanks I flush from the bottom 2 to 3 times then from the internal black flush 2 to 3 times. And also use camp TP. not the regular house hold TP.

Thanks for your time
Dennis.
I used RV Digest-It and it seemed to clean mine up. I now use it full time instead of happy camper. But the tank must be full to clean the sensors.

Mark
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Richard Noble
Established Member

M.O.C. #19062
Try using Calgon Bath Beads, dishwasher fluid (this should be low foam) and lots of water. I'll do this just before we take off and drive at least 5 hours. I have found that this will clean out the tanks the best. I'm not sure you can ever get the sensors to work. I had to replace my sensors (used Horst (sp) which allows you to put hooded ones into the black tank and regular ones in the grey tank). I also discovered that the mother board for the sensors was not working so I replaced that and they all work now. Best of luck.

Almost forgot -- I now use a stand-alone soft water system. I think this will help in the long run.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The only sensors that work are in the fresh water tank. I can't remember when the waste tank sensors last worked. I usually drain the grey tanks every couple of days, and the black tank when the toilet starts to burp. I did start using TankTechsRX a few months ago in the black tank, and they advertise that the treatment will eventually clean the sensors. I'm not betting on it working on the sensors, but it seems to be working for breaking down the waste better than what I was using before. After almost five years fulltiming in this rig, the sensors may never work again.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
There are replacement sensors that work much better. They are called Horst Miracle Probes. They are a direct replacement. I've used them on past rigs, I just don't worry about the levels as much as I used to.
http://www.rvprobes.com/home.html
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
I just might give a try.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
Bob I might give tankTechsrx a shot also. But I'm thinking like you the only one's that Work is the Fresh tank and Battery.
The sensors are a good Idea if they only worked.

Mike although it would be nice to see how much is in your tank I've figured out that 4 showers (2 each for my wife and I) and associated sink use is a good fill-up for my 18 gallon tote. You just wonder about it if you have guest's spend the weekend.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Give up on stock sensor probes and just put in the SeeLevel 2 monitor and external sensors for your tanks.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #12
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
New Owner Disasters and Question: Gray Water Tanks--1 or 2?

Hey, everybody,

We had a Newmar towable 30-footer in the 90's and enjoyed RV'ing with our young kids. They are grown and gone now, and we decided we are ready to get back into RV'ing again as retirement approaches.

Last week we brought home a new Montana High Country 330RL and a Ford F250 to pull it with. Yayy!!

I've had lots of unpleasant surprises--like a new design for satellite tv that doesn't give me two different channels on two tvs, as I was assured it would. My Dishnet Playmate antenna gives two outputs for two Wallies, which should give me two different channels on two TVs, but it didn't. Figured out how to workaround it, after 9 hours with a Dishnet tech, but lost my over the air connection to do it. We had to bypass the KeyTV panel and run a clean satellite connection to the one wire to each TV. Still working on this with the dealer.

Also, the dark stained finish on the wood of the kitchen island literally wipes off with a damp paper towel, in thick black amounts --obviously, the manufacturer forgot to seal the wood after staining, and also, why use a water-based stain? There are five two-inch puddle purple stains on the linoleum from rain through the overhead vent on the show lot. The heavy rain landed on the island counter top and ran down the side to the floor, carrying dark purple stain with it into purple puddles. We saw it happen as we were shopping around, checking out the trailer and others. We were puzzled, and told the salesman we didn't want that trailer and were assured we would get one that was sealed up in the back of the lot. Guess what--the stains on our trailer we noticed a couple of days after driving off the lot were the same!

The dealer after-purchase walk-through failed to mention that all three dump valves were pulled full open and it was given to me that way, with no labels or instructions in the manual as to which was open and which was closed.

After four days of camping, it was time for my first dump experience. As I wondered which was open and which was closed, I naiively figured "surely they wouldn't give it to me with all valves open and not say anything?" Well, they were all open and liquids had been mixing in the drain line all four days! I have a good seal on the drain cap, as not a single drop had leaked out to warn me. When I opened the cap to hook up the drain hose, I experienced a three-foot gusher of mixed black and gray water, from about 60 gallons or so. In shock, I froze for a second or so, then realized I would have to dive back in and put the cap on, which I did. Then I thought, "well, now what?"

I closed all valves and got a tub and put it under the drain. This time, about a gallon of residual material leaked out, which I caught in the tub. I managed to drain and rinse the lines as best I could with an attachment that let me shoot fresh water into the drain line to try to clean the whole system out. It took me over an hour and a half to get fairly clean water to drain out. It's funny now, but not so much at the time!

Realizing my walk-through was severely lacking in scope and detail, I have been spending hours reading all the booklets they gave me just before we drove away.

My tank capacities are listed as 66 gallons of fresh water, 49 gallons of black water, and 98 gallons of gray water. Now, all specs I can find also insist on only one gray tank, but I know from the dealer service rep that there are two (the walk through did show me the two gray water valve locations.) Now, if you do the math, it would seem the 49 gallon size of the black water tank would also work for two 49 gallon gray water tanks, which equals the stated capacity of 98 gallons.

I can't believe they would put two valves in for one tank, so I am guessing one tank for the bathroom gray water (labelled Gray Valve #1, next to the Black Water dump valve) and one for the kitchen gray water (labelled Gray Valve #2).

Finally, to the question: Why do all the brochures and specs I can find online say there is only one gray water tank with 98 gallons of capacity? There are two tanks of 49 gallons each, right?

Thanks,

Buck
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Hi Buck,

Welcome to t he Forum and it seems you made it past the dealer initiation. Sorry they did that to me on my second gray tank valve also.

Yes you have 2 gray tanks of 49 each.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #14
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Buck welcome but writing a book for us old guys to read is a little bit much..

Most dealers sell many brands and they don't know everything.

Enjoy the trailer
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckandTeresa View Post
I've had lots of unpleasant surprises--like a new design for satellite tv that doesn't give me two different channels on two tvs, as I was assured it would. My Dishnet Playmate antenna gives two outputs for two Wallies, which should give me two different channels on two TVs, but it didn't. Figured out how to workaround it, after 9 hours with a Dishnet tech, but lost my over the air connection to do it. We had to bypass the KeyTV panel and run a clean satellite connection to the one wire to each TV. Still working on this with the dealer.
There are several Key TV manuals in the Files section. As the device only has one satellite input you are limited on what can be connected. The system is designed for "single wire" technology. That is where all the satellite signals from the antenna are delivered over one coax. DTV uses this with their open faced antenna and Genie receivers. I believe Dish has an equivalent technology with their open faced antenna and the Hopper/Joey receivers. But when it comes to portable domes you are limited to one coax to one receiver/TV, If you want two satellite inputs from a dome you will have to add your own RF connections and bypass the Key TV unit.

Quote:
Finally, to the question: Why do all the brochures and specs I can find online say there is only one gray water tank with 98 gallons of capacity? There are two tanks of 49 gallons each, right?
Do you have a source reference where it says one grey tank? I agree it is misleading where they refer to the 98 gallon capacity but I have never found where the actually wrote there is only one grey tank.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #16
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Thanks!

Satellite connections:
Which "FILES" section? I don't know where to look for this.

My Dishnet/Winegard Playmaker Dual has two separate outlet ports for two different Wallies. It seems to be the case that I can get satellite and over-the-air to one TV from the main satellite KEYTV entrance plate, but must disconnect the bedroom line on the back of the KEYTV plate to do a single satellite connection and add a wall-type junction plate for this satellite connection to the bedroom. This causes me to lose over the air in the bedroom, but that is acceptable, if not preferable. This, plus two Wallies, allows a different channel on each TV. KEYTV claims one satellite inlet for both TVs, but does not differentiate between same channel or different. I can live with it, now that I know the limitation.

I'll attach a link or two that show what I am talking about with the specs listing one gray tank. They may not be official, but the official Keystone brochure doesn't specify gallons at all, that I could find.

Thanks for the response!

Buck

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...-331rl-tr37961

https://www.hwhrv.com/new/2019-keyst...373rd-mf19169/
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckandTeresa View Post
Satellite connections:
Which "FILES" section? I don't know where to look for this.
There is a thin brown ribbon just above this Thread. The second pull down is the "Files" link. Look in the 'Systems" folder once you are there.

Quote:
I'll attach a link or two that show what I am talking about with the specs listing one gray tank. They may not be official, but the official Keystone brochure doesn't specify gallons at all, that I could find.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...-331rl-tr37961

https://www.hwhrv.com/new/2019-keyst...373rd-mf19169/
Obviously RV USA knows as much about the Montana as your local sales person.

The HWRV link says "tanks".

I don't think Keystone ever describes one tank, just the gallons held.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #18
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Thanks

Hey, Carl,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for directions to the File listing. As a rejoining RV'er after a 20 year absence, I appreciate any help I can get!

Yes, Keystone fails to list in their specs how many tanks my 330RL has, and I meant to say they just listed the gallons. Therefore, I had to look at other major sales sites to try to find out my configuration.

If you will read the second link again, it actually says "Holding Tanks - Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks: 1". I don't see how anyone could take that to mean more than one tank-- the label is a standard format for many different trailers' specs, and obviously some have more than one.

I don't consider non-Keystone websites to be authoritative, but in the absence of Keystone information, you might think two major retailers who agree might have some credibility.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Since the most common question by new members relate to the one v. two grey tanks, you would think the vendors would be aware. After all there is a sticker (usually) of the driver's side "J" panel indicating the location of the pull handle.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I wonder how many techs send out the newbies with the second tank valve open and say watch this as you leave?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote