Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
For the 3750... long bed ,dually,diesel, 4:10s, auto, puck system, cargo camera, back up and forward warning, back up cam, ... possibly airbags, ....

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Lots of input, we also are going to a new truck. by the time we get all of things we want it'll come out to about $70K......still can't believe the prices for a diesel truck.

We weent with a GMC Denali to get some of the options we wanted....we had to order it....6-8 weeks to wait, probably it'll be 10-12 weeks....oh well.
Our Ram msrp was 77400! Starting to see trucks over 80k! We bought ours with 1200 miles.. this reduced the price to 61000 and the dealer gave us full trade in on ours! 2017 ram 3500 dually longhorn, 4:10s, 900 lbft torgue, aisin trans, auto level ,puck system with a tow rating of over 31000!!......
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
I would go with a chevy or gmc. The allison transmission alone is 1000 times more reliable. Ford 6.7 is a lot better than 6.0 or 6.4 but not even close to 7.3 . They still have lots of problems. Dodge would be second choice only because of the cummins.
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
3500 dually,long bed,4x4,Allison trans and diesel your good to go towing any RV anywhere.My preference was 2017 GM due to best ride and luxury for the dollar.Of course that’s my opinion but all three are great vehicles and will do the job.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
Salty, I have pretty much the same setup as Kemo, except 3730FL. I have F350, SRW, with factory pucks, short bed and Andersen Ultimate hitch, 6.7l diesel and camper package. It does everything we need and more. Can turn to 90 degrees angle and have 4-6" clearance cab to trlr, depending on surface we are on. I get about 11.2 MPG on fairly level road, and down to about 10 on hilly road.

Good luck!
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #26
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
You might want to look at the youtube video where they test all three pulling a trailer up grade.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #27
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
I would go with a chevy or gmc. The allison transmission alone is 1000 times more reliable. Ford 6.7 is a lot better than 6.0 or 6.4 but not even close to 7.3 . They still have lots of problems. Dodge would be second choice only because of the cummins.
The GMS HAVE the lowest tow ratings of the 3. they do ride nice.. we stayed away from fords due to engine issues and Gm as well.... ALUMINUM HEADS?. Cummins and aisin, ..just our choice..
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
The GMS HAVE the lowest tow ratings of the 3. they do ride nice.. we stayed away from fords due to engine issues and Gm as well.... ALUMINUM HEADS?. Cummins and aisin, ..just our choice..
When it comes to the current offerings, lowest tow ratings only matters if you plan to tow a really heavy trailer, just sayin'. If you are gonna tow 16500ish lbs (Montana 3750) any of the 3 with a dually and a diesel and available equipment on the menu will be more than capable. I'd include in that list anything made in the last five years also if similarly equipped. Boils down to personal preference. If I was towing 19000 or more I'd begin to consider the RAM or Ford (but potentially F450/F550 due to pin weight issues)products appropriately set up. Rumor has it GM is weighing the idea of upping their tow ratings for 2019 or 2020, but their new 4500 and 5500 truck sales might be cannibalized by added 3500 capability.

GM (2017 and up with the L5P engine which is a vast improvement over previous iterations of the 6.6L engine from top to bottom) is our close second for TV selection behind the RAM... depends on the day of the week...
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #29
lensnel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21583
When you set out to buy a diesel truck it is valuable to talk to someone who sells used ones. They have a unique perspective on how they hold up. My neighbor is in that business. I had no bias among the big 3 as my preference would have been another Mercedes, but they don't make an HD truck for hauling a 5th wheel. My neighbor explained it this way:

Ram: You get that excellent Cummins engine - unfortunately it is in a Ram truck.
Ford: You get that excellent Ford Truck - Unfortunately it comes with the Ford Diesel.
Chevy and GMC: Great engine and Tranny and a great truck. Just buy one!

Expert advice... Decision made!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #30
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensnel View Post
When you set out to buy a diesel truck it is valuable to talk to someone who sells used ones. They have a unique perspective on how they hold up. My neighbor is in that business. I had no bias among the big 3 as my preference would have been another Mercedes, but they don't make an HD truck for hauling a 5th wheel. My neighbor explained it this way:

Ram: You get that excellent Cummins engine - unfortunately it is in a Ram truck.
Ford: You get that excellent Ford Truck - Unfortunately it comes with the Ford Diesel.

That is why we have GM running close second. RAM gets extra points for the AISIN tranny. Not a super fan of RAM's mechanicals record outside of the engine bay. Anecdotal tales from mechanic friends tell me the GM is the most reliable, but not by much. RAM gets points for ease of access when repairs needed. Having said all that, any properly equipped vehicle, properly maintained will do the job you ask of it. In our case I like the GM trucks the wife likes the RAM... like I said... depends on the day of the week.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #31
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
If weight is the big issue buy a freightliner! However the Mercedes powered ones have big issues also.They don't hold up class 7 or 8 trucks . I don't want to start a brand war but the gmc or Chevrolet are probably the best buy and have more power than the ford in the youtube video where they test all three pulling a trailer up grade, in the rockies? Fords horsepower and torque claims don't seem to match the magazine doing the video test. Find the video and watch it. Good luck shopping.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #32
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensnel View Post

X2 - This is exactly how I feel
I have been a technician all of my adult life, first automotive and now powersports and RV's.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #33
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Thankfully Ford mow makes the 6.7 in house and is not relying on suppliers. The rest should just rest. My neighbor is a Chevy salesman and said rumor is GM will catch up to Ford technology in 2020.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #34
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
I see the benefit of the dually, but I use mine for work as well, so parking a dually in some of the places that I go-doesn't work. If I was just using my truck to pull, I would go with the dually. My truck does fine given my applications.

Good luck!

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #35
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Work is why I don't want a dually.
Too much width, and parking would not be good either, if we were full time OK I might get a dually but for 12-14 weeks annually no thanks
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #36
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
On the video of all 3 i still dont understand how they picked Gm.. lower tow rating, lower capacity, no def guage, no auto level.. so over 12 miles or whatever you do it 10 sconds faster youll get 3 more points? Wont put the ride of the gm against the dually ram, but sure would put the Rams interior first..
Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #37
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
Look at the price of dodge and ford . Not worth that much more. Go look at the gm interior looks pretty good to me. Biggest problem have with all three is that cost three times more than my first house. I think I will keep my 2002 GMC and just keep making repairs . Alot cheaper in the long run and pay for more trips with all the money I saved. I spent 1600.00 in the last 2 years in repairs and maintenance. Hard to justify 70000.00 or more .
Old 04-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #38
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I have all three, Dodge,Chevy and Ford. One Dodge and multiple Ford and Chevy, all diesel, all automatics. It comes down to personal preference. I couldn’t keep the front end under the Dodge, any brand is as only good as dealer support behind it. Although I had no issues with the Chevy, in the currently available models I went with the new Ford and couldn’t be happier. More cab room, marginally quieter, great mpg dead stock and certainly no lack of power. I like the boxed in heavier frame of the 17/18. Again it’s a matter of personal preference just didn’t care for the high country I drove, but it’s a extremely nice truck. Whatever you choose make sure you have excellent local dealer support.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #39
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
Look at the price of dodge and ford . Not worth that much more. Go look at the gm interior looks pretty good to me. Biggest problem have with all three is that cost three times more than my first house. I think I will keep my 2002 GMC and just keep making repairs . Alot cheaper in the long run and pay for more trips with all the money I saved. I spent 1600.00 in the last 2 years in repairs and maintenance. Hard to justify 70000.00 or more .
First, you have to compare apples to apples not oranges. Your first house cost how much? (No need to answer here) How much did a suitable towing vehicle cost back then? .... switch to today... house today vs truck today... the ratios will be more or less similar as they were back then. Also, houses back then as well as trucks... were entirely different animals than they are today.

As to your second point, agree in principle, cheaper to maintain an older vehicle than coughing up 70Gs up front for a new one. But that is a choice. Nothing wrong with either, all depends on your circumstance, preferences and resources. Most of us will fall somewhere in the middle.

JMHO, Brian
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #40
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
I would and could buy a new house pickup and fifth wheel with cash, not sell a thing I own . Sometimes it is nice just to keep the nest egg in bank and make money just in case. Price of diesel is going up again and health care is not getting any cheaper. Trucks and houses are ten times what they were in the late 70's. But my income never went upthat much. About 4 times is all. I am not expecting any raises when I retire in the next few years .Maybe I am being frugal, but it is nice not to owe anything other than taxes. Being raised by depression era parents has made me that way maybe. I would love a new pickup but I
Realize that I can buy a lot of diesel and airline tickets so I can travel more . Took me a lot of years and money buying new trucks and rvs to realize that .Just over maintain what you got and it will last a long time.