Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Wall failure attached to frame

2004 Keystone Montana BIG SKY 3575RL

Have to weld this, I know but would like some input. firat pic is where you are looking. second is failure

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Da...rame%20Failure
Link above is all pictures

[img[IMGhttp://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/David_Brugger/Frame%20Failure/3.jpg[/IMG][/img]
[img[IMGhttp://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/David_Brugger/Frame%20Failure/7.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Well pugtracker you have some great pictures that clearly show poor construction and one of the problems with Frame flex and sidewall separation.

It really does not make much difference if the weld is good or not if the structure is insufficient for the application, IMHO that again is what we are seeing here. The part attached to the wall appears to be a piece of 1/4" flat bar that separated from the 2 x 5" frame tubing if I am seeing that correctly.

I wonder what it was that brought this to your attention and first alerted you there was a problem under the upper deck.

Have you sent these pictures to Keystone & Lippert.

Hope you keep us updated on your progress and that this all works out for you, you have a bigger problem than was indicated on my unit.

Good luck
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Very poor penetration on the welds! Are you doing it yourself or having it done?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Welcome to the world of Frame Flex, as Irlpguy mentioned, very poor construction menthods and engineering on Keystone's Part, matter of fact alot of manafacturers have this issue using mostly in my opnion the Lippert frame. I again am having the second go around on a new 2012 Montana with Frame Flex, very frustrating. I recently read a post from someone that had an 2004 Montana and Keystone stepped up to the plate and took care of the repairs and other issues they had, I would cntact Keystone and Lippert to see if they will help. Good Luck....
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Well pugtracker you have some great pictures that clearly show poor construction and one of the problems with Frame flex and sidewall separation.

It really does not make much difference if the weld is good or not if the structure is insufficient for the application, IMHO that again is what we are seeing here. The part attached to the wall appears to be a piece of 1/4" flat bar that separated from the 2 x 5" frame tubing if I am seeing that correctly.

I wonder what it was that brought this to your attention and first alerted you there was a problem under the upper deck.

Have you sent these pictures to Keystone & Lippert.

Hope you keep us updated on your progress and that this all works out for you, you have a bigger problem than was indicated on my unit.

Good luck
What brought to our attention was the dressers and the TV Cabinet. When the Fifth wheel weight was on the truck the doors to the TV went uneven and the front of the built in draws wood lift up.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana3800RE

Welcome to the world of Frame Flex, as Irlpguy mentioned, very poor construction menthods and engineering on Keystone's Part, matter of fact alot of manafacturers have this issue using mostly in my opnion the Lippert frame. I again am having the second go around on a new 2012 Montana with Frame Flex, very frustrating. I recently read a post from someone that had an 2004 Montana and Keystone stepped up to the plate and took care of the repairs and other issues they had, I would cntact K to see if they will help. Good Luck....
Do you have the best contact info for Keystone and Lippert?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Very poor penetration on the welds! Are you doing it yourself or having it done?
well right now trying to contact Keystone, It seems that looking at the failure, The piece of flat stock that has come apart was put on prior to painting. Not sure if it was put on at Lippert or keystone. Not shown is the front part of the failure, it appeasr to have torn, the weld is still intact it appears. But an expect will have to look to determine if it is a tear. Plans are to contact Keystone and Lippert and see what they say. I can weld it myself, it will jack right back up into place. Pretty bummed about this as we are fulltime and it is our home. Anyone who has good contact info for Keystone and Lippert is appreciated. I plan on doing a complete story for Highways Magazine and who ever else will look and publish.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
If you go to Keystone and Lipperts web sites, there are contact numbers there for the service and warranty departments, again good luck and let us know how it's going......
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote