Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #81
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Sad that Keystone has not addressed this problem and it has been going on for so long. The whole idea of having tanks is to be able to be "self contained". My last trailer had a 100 gal fresh and 3 50 gal grey and black tanks. I traveled from Tx to Pa several times with a full fresh tank and never dumped till I got to Pa or Tx depending which direction I was headed. Usually by time I got there the shower tank was pretty much full and the 2 others were maybe 1/3 full. Never had a problem with controling the rig when full of water and never had a leak. Now you want weight try 100 gals of water in a tank. I know lots of folks that travel the same way and having a leak or running with empty tanks is never mentioned. If this is a big a problem as it seems then Montana should stand behind their trailers and remedy it.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #82
Bob Freeland

M.O.C. #8659
The pull cable control to my black tank is getting pretty tough to move in and out to dump and close again. Being I cannot see the tanks due to the unbelly, is there any way to to touble shoot it. Maybe a simple maintenace issue, such as getting oil in the cable which could be starting to bind up. I have a 2009 2955 Montana with rear curb door.
Bob Freeland
Sonoma, Ca.
Bob Freeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #83
wjwheeler
Established Member

M.O.C. #14149
I have the same problem. The only fix is to replace the valve and cable assembly. CW in Chattanooga wouldn't give me p
A price. They just said it was expensive.
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #84
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My black and shower tank valves are being replaced right now for the same reason. It is covered under my extended warranty. A friend did his recently and said it wasn't too bad. Loosen the coroplast at the back edge of the dropped frame and the valves are right there. Four bolts are all that hold them in.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #85
Buck1941

M.O.C. #14183
Can anyone tell me where my back flow preventer is located on my 2010 Montana 3140 RL black water flush system? What the best way to get at it to change it. I want to replace it before We have a problem. Thanks everyone
Buck1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #86
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Admins.I started this back in 2008 and most of the information is out of date.Might want to unstick it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #87
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Buck1941

Can anyone tell me where my back flow preventer is located on my 2010 Montana 3140 RL black water flush system? What the best way to get at it to change it. I want to replace it before We have a problem. Thanks everyone
I have a 2011 Montana High Country and it is located inside the bathroom vanity
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #88
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Rene, you need to start a new post for your question. This one is so old not many will check out your post. To try to help you, look under the sink in the bath. Are there more than just two pex lines going up toward the faucet. If yes, then you will find a black plastic fitting connecting two of the lines together. If not there then it could be behind shower wall. In this case you will need to view the area under the shower pan from the passthru or however it is done on that model. Good luck. John
Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 AM   #89
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Others have found theirs behind a removable panel in a kitchen cabinet.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #90
parover74

M.O.C. #17836
on my 02 3670 the black, gray, and discharge lines are all put together solid. has any one considered with all the flexing these trailers go through maybe a flex coupling between the black and grey dump valves would help reduce cracking?
parover74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #91
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hey guys: Got something different that I need an answer to. We have a 2013 3800 RE. Specs say we have 3 tanks;fresh water (66gals), black tank (50 gals) grey tank (93gals). BUT I have another control handle located outside the convenience centre that dumps grey water. The handle is located just above and to the right of the sewer outlet.
Can someone explain the configuration of the tanks? Idiot lights show 4 tanks, 2 grey, 1 black, 1 fresh and of course the battery guage. I may have to replace the black tank valve so I need to know where it is. Our rig is built for northern climates or what they call winter package I guess. We are wintering in southern British Columbia.
Thanks to all and a Happy New Year.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #92
caroldee2735
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17665
There are probably two grey tanks like I have on my 3160. You
Have to dump both grey tanks, one will be for kitchen and one will be shower and BR sink.
caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #93
princeandprincess

M.O.C. #18888
Hello!! I am new to this site. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue?? I didn't know where else to post. If I did it incorrectly I apologize.
On July 13, 2016 we purchased a 2017 Montana 370BR from Camping World in Lakewood, New Jersey. We used our camper the weekend of July 22nd and July 29th. On August 7th we pulled up to our camper for our family’s annual week vacation. As soon as we got out of our car and approached our camper we got hit with a stench of sewage. When we opened our camper door and went inside the same stench was in there.
My husband began his search to find out where it was coming from. When he took the wall access panel off of the front storage compartment he found a pool of sewage. Apparently, the black tank was not draining into the pipe, but draining into the underbelly (winter camping belly cover) of our camper. Can anyone offer ANY assistance on this problem?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

You might want to save this somewhere. We had a black tank leak and learning from the experience of others on the forum needed to make sure we were ordering the proper tank..

The Vendor for all the tanks is... Travel Star products,64524 CR-27, Goshen, In//Phone 574-533-0447. Those who are familiar with the area will recognize that the vendor is very close to the Keystone plants.

Spoke to Amy several times a very nice a knowledgeable lady.You will need to get at your tank, black or otherwise and get the numbers off the travel start tag. On my 06 3400 black tank PN-TS2463SD

24 inches wide X 63 inches Long X 8 inches deep you will also find a number marked in yellow indicating a left ot right drain.. it will be 294 or 295..mine was 294.

Note.Amy said that Keystone went to a bigger tank on Some models so you need to SEE those numbers If you have that information Travel star will know exectly what you need and will ship in two days.

They do not have the plumbing for the tank as that is a manufacturer item but the plumbing is common and any dealer can get it at any Home depot or Lowes. There is no reason to go through Keystone as Travel star will ship to the dealer.. I will add that I did speak to Keystone parts, the person will remain unidentified, and they were of no help what-so-ever.
princeandprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #94
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Either take it Back to the dealer OR take off the underbelly material as it is not hard to do just kinda time consuming(I have done it many times to replace Waste valves) just some screws and molding on each side and in the middle underneath and a cross Support and peel it back and take a Looksie ,sounds like the outlet pipe came loose from the tank and you will see that easy when you take the underbelly material off and replace with a rubber connection like some folks have here....Get the hose ready to wash the underbelly out first and then put down a Tarp to lay on or you are in for a messy stinky job
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #95
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Go to CW, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. There is no way you should have to deal with a crappy problem on a brand new rig. Park it out front of the CW store and let them enjoy the aroma.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #96
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL....OR THAT works too
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

Go to CW, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. There is no way you should have to deal with a crappy problem on a brand new rig. Park it out front of the CW store and let them enjoy the aroma.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:26 AM   #97
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I would take this back to dealer. It's one thing if it is 5 years old, but a brand new unit - it goes back!!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #98
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I never did like the new ABS tanks, they are too brittle, and most ruptures and tares are on the top seam and where the drain and vents attach due to flexing while on the road with something in the tanks, I have replaced mine several times, and I know for a fact you did many from what I remember Rich. if I ever have to do it again Ill use the old fashioned type tank that was as hard as steel and 3 times as heavy so retro fitting will be necessary.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #99
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash 2 View Post
I never did like the new ABS tanks, they are too brittle, and most ruptures and tares are on the top seam and where the drain and vents attach due to flexing while on the road with something in the tanks, I have replaced mine several times, and I know for a fact you did many from what I remember Rich. if I ever have to do it again Ill use the old fashioned type tank that was as hard as steel and 3 times as heavy so retro fitting will be necessary.
If my memory is correct we have replaced 8 maybe more holding tanks between two Montana's since 2006.Most of them failed at the top seam and a couple failed while not moving and just sitting on our lot. We have replaced 3 on this 13 3402 2 gray and one black. We determined that these were not holding tanks. I remember replacing 1 gray, 2 galley, 2 black on the 06 3400 and I think we actually replaced 2 gray.

Keystone now uses new on piece tanks perhaps they are better.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #100
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
UPDATE on "DITY Black Tank Replacement Thread"
Finally received my Tank last week from RV&Van surplus. Manufacturer is "TravelStar".
Appeared to be identical, however installation resulted in the removable bracket having to lowered about 1/8" at the outlet end (as much as we could lift it by hand/foot) Definitely a 2 person job ALL day job (Thanks DW!) and the Tank Outlet was just a little higher than the remaining Dump valve pipe so I didn't try to jack the tank and removable bracket up any more (the new tank appeared to have some thicker molding and was tight at the top). 3" Rubber Connector to the Valterra Dump Valve solved that slight Downhill misalignment. Reconnecting to the Vent (opposite corner of the tank from the outlet was a challenge to get the new rubber vent connector on the tank to go all the way around the Vent Pipe (was cut flush off the old Tank)
Replaced the Valterra Dump Valve seals (a little cruddy, but still serviceable after 12 years).
Reconnecting to the toilet involved a Black ABS 3" Connector to the Tank Inlet, some Pipe, a new 45 degree connector (had to remove the OEM connections to the old tank),
carefully lined up with the OEM Pipe/45 degree connector screwed under the Toilet and another 4" long 3" Rubber Connector.
Re-used the Tank Flusher and the new Tank Monitors (come with the tank) are working for now...
I added 4 support brackets ranging from a steel flat bar (under the outlet), to round conduit, to 1" AL Tube and 1" Tube with a wood block on top (most with some packing foam on top)
This actually took me several days while procuring parts.
Not an easy job and I still have to put the RV bottom insulation and plastic back up.
But within the realm of DITY
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote