Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Move over to the slow lane..always. We are always going to slow (speed limit or @ 65MPH) we rarely pass anyone when pulling.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I guess I'll have to watch my rear view mirrors for all of you since I drive a maximum of 57-58 mph. Everyone passes me but I get my best mpg and feel I have the best control of our unit at that speed. So if you come up behind me and you see the big sign "Do You Know Jesus" on the back window, just know that it's Marge and Orv and we'll let you buy. Honk when you pass!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I pull over when I can and let cars pass, but I have been caught in the right lane when some jerk enters the freeway 45 and I have to hit the brakes to keep from hitting him and nobody on my left will let me over. I WILL NOT DRIVE ON THE SHOULDER to let some jerk pass at breakneck speeds. I lived in Texas for 14 years and know they do this and I guess I did also, BUT, not towing a 7 ton behemoth behind me. I will pull to the right in a passing lane if there are cars behind me wanting to pass. I usually travel between 60 and 65. I, too, have seen drivers in the SF Bay area texting while driving. I usually get out of their way so they don't swerve into me. This, to me, is the same as reading a book while driving. An accident waiting to happen!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 AM   #24
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Reading a book while driving -- I thought they only did that in Kansas!!! Actually, I have seen people changing clothes while driving (not passenger but driver!!); reading a newspaper, one had his laptop on his steering wheel working on it (Kansas Turnpike last month going from Lawrence to KC). I guess I shouldn't speak too loudly though -- I have been known to eat a hamburger while driving if I'm late getting out and have to be somewhere at a certain time.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #25
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don drives 65, I drive 6o to 62 and guess who gets the best fuel milage when towing!

We saw someone reading a paper, driving yesterday, here close to home.
There have been some teenage fatal accidents in this state while they were text messaging. Usually their passengers were the ones killed.
I don't understand why they do this. Can't they see this is dangerous!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dusty, their parents gave them the basics of non attentive driving when they themselves used a cell phone while driving. Their kids have now graduated to text messaging.

When NY state looked into hands free driving they found a number of reports showing just as many accidents were caused when using a cell phone as DWI. They did institute a "hands free driving" law but no one pays any attention to it and the cops are too busy using their cell phone to notice.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #27
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
When talking about speed limits I have to wonder if the price of gas has any affect on driving habits at all. Here in Massachusetts people are still driving way over the posted limits. Given that cars are driven at an average speed of 35 - 40 mph over their lifetime (average of highway and back roads together) the manufacturers design max efficiency at about 55 mph. I guess most folks don't think there is a gas price crunch around here because 55 would be considered crawling by many. Remember the Nixon years when he lowered all the speeds to a max of 55? That wasn't a number picked out of thin air.

I try to go with the flow of traffic up to 65 mph and set my GPS to beep at me when I go over 65 mph. I will always to my best to stay of of the way if I can't do the posted limit for some reason.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #28
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Pete, I saw a special on tv that said people would not change their driving habits until gas started approaching $5.00 a gallon.
Some years back we had a ice storm and were without electricity for 5 days and the roads were closed due to trees down. I had a generator that ran my whole house. We had everything we needed but after 2 days our kids were going ape because they could not go anywhere. America is a nation of people on the go.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #29
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We drive 55 - 60 when towing. Reasons being MPG & Safety (stopping distance etc..). Also never have to worry about seeing those flashing lights in my rearview mirror by a public servant wanting to pull me over for speeding.

Wave or honk as you pass me by.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Pete, I saw a special on tv that said people would not change their driving habits until gas started approaching $5.00 a gallon.
Even then they will only change how far they go not how fast they go. Everybody is in a hurry even if they don't have any place to be.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #31
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
When I am towing, I travel about 5-7 mph under the speed limit (when it is 65). I use the speed control if the pavement is dry, but will disregard that if it is raining or the weather doesn't permit. I want to have plenty of space for braking. We often drive through rural areas in Maine and large animal (moose, bear, deer)collisions with trucks and automobiles kill several people each year here. My wife and I both attended a trucking school, and one day the instructor said (about driving down the side of a steep mountain in the rockies) "you can go down a mountain too slow several times, but you can only go down too fast once."
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I go about 63-65 the moter seems to like that RPM, if you know what I mean, it's real smooth, and just seems to run good at that speed and RPM
Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #33
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
When in Calif. I set the Cruise on 55 to 58. Through the Northern states I have been doing 65 to 67. Here in Penna. I wish I could do the speed limit. With the roads torn up or just plain bad, I can only go 50 to 55 without bounching the Montana to pieces. Hit a bump (crater) on the Pa Turnpike and upset the whole inside. Cost me a new monitor (had the old one laying down but I guess it bounced to hard), drawers flew open (lucky they did because the top desk drawer caught the printer).
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #34
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

When in Calif. I set the Cruise on 55 to 58. Through the Northern states I have been doing 65 to 67. Here in Penna. I wish I could do the speed limit. With the roads torn up or just plain bad, I can only go 50 to 55 without bounching the Montana to pieces. Hit a bump (crater) on the Pa Turnpike and upset the whole inside. Cost me a new monitor (had the old one laying down but I guess it bounced to hard), drawers flew open (lucky they did because the top desk drawer caught the printer).
Jim,
There are worse roads than California!!!!
Oh my!!

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #35
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Pa Turnpike, the only road where you pay to drive over potholes. But I guess that is one way to keep the speed down. Just finished driving the West Virg. Turnpike, nice road. Last time I drove it was in the 1970's when it was worse than a dirt road and even bought a t-shirt "I survived the West Virg. Pike".
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #36
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I do between 50 to 60 mph and right now I feel that is fast enough. I am still getting used to pulling a 5th wheel at this weight and length. What I hate is the idiot that passes you then pulls right in front of your front bumper with traffic slowing down.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote