Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Adding 2nd A/C

After being assured by my dealer twice that the wiring was in the attic for the front A/C, I pulled the front vent lower cover and checked. Also pulled the electrical panel cover. Guess what! The check is in the mail! I had my doubts about it being there.

Which leads to this question. Anyone with the Mountaineer 303RLD added wiring for the second unit? Pulling the wire through the attic doesn't look like too much of a challenge, but what about the wall down to the electric panel. Looks like it might go down behind the cabinet wall, but I would like to be sure before ripping it out.

Another question. Anyone got the heat pump? Like or dislike? Thanks for your input.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Ive got a 2007 307RKD and am wondering the same thing. Id like a low profile unit for the front but dont have the factory wiring.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have been debating the front ac for about a year now so I am glad you posted this topic. I know from rewiring my surround sound the wiring job through the attic is no big deal. However, getting the wire to turn the corner down the wall is another story. I am fortunate and can take out the bottom side of my bathroom fan and get my wired turned down the wall.
What about the frame for the front airconditioner? Is it ok to add this without making sure with a shop the roof can handle the weight?
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

I have been debating the front ac for about a year now so I am glad you posted this topic. I know from rewiring my surround sound the wiring job through the attic is no big deal. However, getting the wire to turn the corner down the wall is another story. I am fortunate and can take out the bottom side of my bathroom fan and get my wired turned down the wall.
What about the frame for the front airconditioner? Is it ok to add this without making sure with a shop the roof can handle the weight?
I took the lower part of the front 14" vent out and checked it. It is framed on two sides by the metal trusses, and the other sides are 2 X 4 wood. Should be adequate from the research I've done.

What sort of top plate did you find at the top of the walls? That has become my primary concern now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
You don't have to worry about top plate. The wires go through an opening at the top of the wall. Where my vent is installedthere is a hole in the metal truss where you can reach through and just reach the top of the wall where the wires go down. I could feel some metal on top of the wall but there is a hole which the other wires are going down through so it should be pretty easy. Granted my unit is the travel trailer so I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
Hope that helps
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote