Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
One AC is enough for me.

When I first got my Mountaineer 319BHD I tried the AC and it was lacking,I replaced the grill covers with the type that you can twist to open or close now I think just the one AC is enough.Try this before going with the second AC.

crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Ill stick with mt two AC units. The more BTU's the better here in Texas. 15k plus 13.5k is better than 15k.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the two A /C's and in our part of the country one will do the job..However if you lived in the S.W where the temps can reach well over 100 two are not enough. Example is that yesterday (and today) the actual temps are around 80 but the humidity yesterday was 83 %...very uncomfortable. Was working out in the camper and the water was pouring off the roof. The humidity as we speak at 9:24AM is 55% with a temp 0f 68 degrees.. We are like 9 miles line of sight from Lake Erie.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
If I'm at a 50 amp site you better believe that both ACs will be running in this Texas heat of the day and the 15K only at night.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Not to mention a second makes a good spare in case the main has a problem...could save a vacation.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Temps in the 90s the day before yesterday.I would have said that I needed that second AC before I changed my grill covers too.Now I can put my cooling in any of the four rooms I want.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use our two AC's. Comes in handy to fast cool the Monty when stopping for night. Some places we travel we use both AC's.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Dusty,

In the picture with your posting the second A\C doesn't really show. (It could be blending in with the cloud). Do you have a special low profile second A\C?

We did a stretch in March near Salton Sea that hit 103. We didn't "need" a second A\C but it might have been nice to have one. I am sure we would have "died" if the lone A\C had gone out.

I am concerned about the additional height with the second A\C. As it is the Montana is a tall 5th wheel but, I had read that the standard A\C as a second unit adds another 6 inches to the height.

How much taller is your Monty with that second A\C?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Don't underetimate the value of a backup unit. When it took the service man two days to get to us to add freon while he ordered a replacement evaporator coil for our leaky one, I was really glad to have the second A/C. If you don't need it, don't get it. I have it and would not be without it. We all do what we think is best for us and that is great, right or wrong it is my decision.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Two A/C are a must, the biggest reason is a the 2nd is a backup. We have spent a lot of time in the South West temps above 100 degrees, and of course in Tennessee the humidity is terrible. I been in those 5th wheels that are suppose to only need one A/C. I have seen no RV that can get by with one A/C, unless you spend the hot part of the summer in the North West. We will not own a RV of any type with two A/C. Good luck with your choice... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Also if your 5er has a ducted system they are much quiter than the ceiling type. The ducted system moves the air much more efficient. I don't know for sure but have been told the heat pump systems work great also. We do have a the heat strip, and is great for those cool mornings. GBY...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Two A/C are a must, the biggest reason is a the 2nd is a backup. We have spent a lot of time in the South West temps above 100 degrees, and of course in Tennessee the humidity is terrible. I been in those 5th wheels that are suppose to only need one A/C. I have seen no RV that can get by with one A/C, unless you spend the hot part of the summer in the North West. We will not own a RV of any type with two A/C. Good luck with your choice... GBY.....
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #13
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
We have the same rig as you 319BHD..and yes the adjustable AC covers are a big help...but we are still planning on a 2AC...one unit is just not enough not keep the 5er cool when TEMPS get over 90's

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What do the adjustable vents look like and where do you get them?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #15
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Last year when we had that big heat spell on the west cost I found the grill covers at my dealer but I would think you could find them at Camping World also.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
We were in Charleston,SC in August two years ago and had another couple over for an afternoon. The single a/c never cut off and it was not comfortable inside. Soon afterwards I installed a 13k low profile unit in the bedroom. It comes in real handy when in the Fl Keys during the 95 degree 85-90% humidity days. I removed it from my 2004 Monty and installed it in my 2007 rig. The backup security is an added bonus.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A great reason for a second unit is the quick cool down when setting up in your new spot, running both will cool the trailer down quickly. If the temperatures are high and the humidity is high with a 90-95 degree trailer, the one unit may not even bring the temp's down to a comfortable level until the sun goes down.
Oh, when we need cooling, we run the second unit and leave the main off when watching TV, for noise reasons.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I was prepping to go to San Antonio this weekend, I was checking everything out includeing the generator. While I was on the generator I loaded it down to check performance by turning on both AC units and the hot water and frige. Inside temp was about 98 and with both units running it took about an hour to get down to 82 and had a steady stream of water coming off the roof. Guess I am ready to go.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
BirdingRVer
\[quote
Dusty,

In the picture with your posting the second A\C doesn't really show. (It could be blending in with the cloud). Do you have a special low profile second A\C?

][/quote]
We didn't Have the second AC in that picture. We added it later. And happy we did. We are in MO right now and both have run during the day almost every day. Yes we do have the 1350 low profile Penquin by Durtherm.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #20
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Hey, I thought this was supposed to be camping!! What happenened to roughing it with only one AC Unit?
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote