Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
mirrors or camera

Although I do not intend to back up without a spotter, what about seeing behind when towing? When I used to drive 18 wheelers 40 years ago (am I really that old?) I always had western mirrors. Do most of you have extra towing mirrors? What about the so-called back up camera? Any experience using it for a rear view mirror?
Does smokey get upset?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have a back up camera.And love it.Its mounted on the top of my rear ladder.with a color 6 inch LCD monitor in the truck.I can see 3 lanes of traffic behind me while traveling down the high way.The picture is very very clear and surprizily very steady.It also works well at night.I don`t really rely on it when backing into a camp site,but for the highway its awesome.Bought mine at "www.rvcams.com"They have several models to pick from.Pretty easy install.just one wire.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Radhazjoe: I don't know what you're towing with but you could get a Dodge with the tow mirrors. They're about the best out there.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dodge has a great idea with thoise flip up tow mirrors. Hopefully Chevy or Ford will have copied them by the time I'm ready to trade.

Back to the subject-- I heard there are wireless video cameras on the market. No wire between camera and screen. Anyone have any experience with them???
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is great information Harleyrider. I was wondering how it worked as a rear wiew mirror.I have been on that site and the units are not all that expensive.I did not think it was worth the expense just to back the camper up as the "person with radio" method is much safer however since it works for you as a rear view mirror it would be worth the expense to have one. I have always used some sort of extra tow mirrors..western style was my choice..however the 05 Ford 350 has the pull out mirror that seem to work ok..My family had a small trucking business so I learned to drive in 18 wheelers also about 40 years ago (there are folks this old who can still get around youngens) and I now drive a school bus part time and they have the best mirror system going..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
For those who might want even a cheaper solution, go to this web site for wireless cameras. They are intended as surveillance systems but there is no reason they willnot work with a small TV that can operate off your truck's twelve volts and has a video input. The cxameras are meant to be used outside, etc. so they should stand up I am going to try one.

I also found a mirror that gets attached to your existing mirrors at Pep Boys for under $20.00. It is installed and seems to work fine, but not very big.

This is the site for the wirelss cameras.
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk45...d34#dd535.443c
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Ford has what magazines term as the best in the industry and they truly are excellent. However, are you talking about this mirror location or are you talking about additional mirrors somewhere on the trailer?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Talking about mirrors reminds me of a set that I have added to my Ford:

http://qwks.com/xcart/catalog/CBetr_...s-p-1-c-4.html

It takes a little getting used to an "insectoid" view of the world, but I DON'T HAVE ANY BLIND SPOTS!

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote