Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Aaaarrrrgggg, A leak

There it was, a drip where there wasn't supposed to be a drip. I looked around inside, nothing wet. No moisture in the basement or the front compartment. I crawled underneath and pushed up on the underbelly and whoosh. About a gallon of water hit me in the chest.

Oh, no, dropped the belly pan, whew, the gray tank, not the black tank. A small tributary was running down the side of the tank near the outlet piping. The leak must be toward the top of the tank or at the point of inlet connections.

Here is the question. How do I check the top? Do I drop the tank? Is there access by removing the basement floor? The shower, lavatory, and washer dump into that tank and I can't see how they attach. I am in a quandary about how to attack the issue.

The quick fix is to leave the gray tank open (which is its normal position with the washer) then there is no leak. That does not solve the problem though.

Are there any experienced tankers?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Good question stiles, this begs the question of how the factory penetrates the tank as the appliances are installed. Could just be a hole equal to the raw pipe OD and some RTV to seal it to contain gases from eminating? Keep us posted, one never knows when we will have to content with the same ugly task.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I think that the tanks have a flange on them and they are dropped in before the floor is installed over them. Getting to the top connections will take some doing and I am not sure you can. Did you use a mirror and flashlight to try to see the connection? Let us know what you find.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
The tank is tight to the floor so no luck in looking at the top of the tank.
Check and see if the leak is coming from a small crack around the area where the tank is flanged for the outlet.
I tried everything I could to stop our black tank leak.
Finally replace it last spring.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Stiles: Boy! Talk about coincidence. I just back back from a dealer to have my grey tank checked for a leak this week. They found a crack near the top of the tank at the intake to the tank. The best way to check exactly where it is, is to take the under pad off and fill the tank to see exactly where the leak is. If you can get at the leak, use one of the repair kits. That's what they did to mine as a temporary fix. Since I have the ext. warr. I told them to replace it. Getting the Quest 1000 replaced at the same time. They are replacing it with the Quest 4000.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote