Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Popane "leak" question?

Maybe I have a problem, Maybe not. Need some input.

My regulator side propane tank hit empty the other night. I shut it off. Flipped the lever and turned on the street side tank. The next morning I began removing the curb side for refill. When I disconnected the tank, I could smell and feel propane coming from the hose. I turned the valve on the full tank off came back around and the propane had stopped coming out of the hose. I went back and turned the full tank on again, came back around and propane was coming out of the disconnect hose again.

Do I have a regulator problem? Today both tanks are full. The curb side valve is closed and I am running off the street side. I cannot "smell" propane in the bay. The last two times I had regulator problems I could smell propane on my patio when both tanks were full and one in use.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
You have a regulator problem. I had a similar problem with a Couger 5vr. Had to replace the regulator. The good news is that they are easy to find and not expensive.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Just a sugestion it happened to my unit, the black pipe that conects to the street side tank was leaking, so I soaped all the conectors and discovered two more realy small leaks in the supply hoses to that black pipe, all has been good so far sence they were all tightened.

TT2
Old 01-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Bad changeover valve. It comes in a set with the regulator valve. Had same problem.
Some people have installed an in line valve in each side at the tank so it does not leak when the tank is removed but this should not be necessary.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It does sound like a bad regulator, assuming you have the lever horizontal. If you happen to have it vertical then it will draw from both tanks and thus would leak out an open line.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks for replies.

My neighbor, also in a Montana, says his does the same thing when he removes a tank to fill. He says it's only propane left in the lines and if I would have waited long enough it would have stopped.

I do not have a propane smell at all now that both tanks are connected. I do know that when the previous two regulators were bad I smelled propane when both tanks were connected. That's how I knew something was wrong.

I will disconnect the tank again this weekend and test out my neighbor's theory.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Do the soapy water check while you are at it just for peace of mind !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Dealer says new procedure for propane tanks eliminates this problem.

Check for red indicator. If on turn off both tanks at the tanks. Switch over the changer over valve to full tanks.

Slowly turn full tank back on. Green should appear.

This prevents the changeover valve from hanging up and leaving both lines open. Has something to do with back pressure.

I have not tried this but they claim they tested it in the shop and it works. If it doesn't I will let all know.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Fla Native is correct, it's the gas left over in the lines. Once you take it off if you will wait a few mintues you will see that it stops. if you want to be sure that is what it is, open both tanks fully switch over to the patio side tank for few minutes. Make sure to bleed lines by turning on burner on stove top. Then turn the gas off to patio side tank adn switch value over to street side. See if it does it again then wait few minutes it will stop. What is happening is you are bleeding out the line that goes from the patio side tank.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When you disconnect a line with regulator pointing the other way mine will have a brief rush of propane that is audible as well as smellable. But the pressure rapidly dissipates. I don't recall ever having more than a second or two worth of propane flow. The smell sticks around a bit but that's about it. If it went more than a couple of seconds I'd probably reattach the hose, thinking something is wrong.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Steve,

I am not sure about the length of time factor as I reconnected the tank right away at the first feel and smell of propane. I was not thinking about gas in the lines as the problem.

We have had a bit of 'winter' this past week and it looks like I'll be going on a propane run in a few days. This time I will pay more attention to how long the propane comes out of the hose after disconnect.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Mine would leak for hours. New procedure has fixed this problem. see my post above.