Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Toilet 3400

Has anyone had the problem
with the toilet not holding water in the bowl any suggestions how to repair it Thanks

mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
mont,
Some simple first steps include:
1) Make sure that the seal is clean of all debris.
2) Lubricate seal with vaseline (I use q-tips)
3) Behind the toilet there is a screw adjustment that will tighten the grip of the seal (tightening this solved all my water retention problems - sorry about the pun).
4) If none of the above workd, check to see if the toilet is a SeaLand brand. Some models were defective and they wil ship you a new seal kit free of charge. Hopefully someone will be along with the number or use the search function for Sealand.

Hope this helps you out,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

mont,
Some simple first steps include:
1) Make sure that the seal is clean of all debris.
2) Lubricate seal with vaseline (I use q-tips)
3) Behind the toilet there is a screw adjustment that will tighten the grip of the seal (tightening this solved all my water retention problems - sorry about the pun).
4) If none of the above workd, check to see if the toilet is a SeaLand brand. Some models were defective and they wil ship you a new seal kit free of charge. Hopefully someone will be along with the number or use the search function for Sealand.

Hope this helps you out,
Bingo
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In addition to what has been said, many have solved the problem by letting the valve pop closed rather than easing up on the peddle.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All of the above may or may not work..They all work on ours but it still will not always hold water. It may work 10 days then not work one day. It may work one flush and not the next... we give up... If it has no water in in we lift up on the pedal and water flows in..It may work Ok the next time. Our entire john was replaced at the service center last April...it did not help any. Such is life in the RV world..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh! That ever leaking toilet. Ours is still under warranty and went in the first time for toilet repairs about two months ago. We took it out on another short trip and after about 3 days it started not holding water again. We decided NOT to live with it and it is in being replaced now. I told them I wanted the next model up and to include the sprayer (DW wanted the sprayer for cleaning) The difference in the warrant and new (since they were going to replace the old one) is $125. I also had them install a 3" riser so my knees are more comfortable.

Trust me. I did everything that everyone has mentioned. Tightened up everything that could be tightened, and replaced seals and parts that could be replaced, all under warranty, and it still would not hold water. I even purchased a seal cleaning tool and it did not help. I'll let y'all know after the next trip how the new one does.

If you decide to continue to work with what you have, here is a tip that I read about. It involves the "X" method. Lay two strips of toilet paper in the form of an "X" in the bottom of the toilet. Do you business and then flush. The TP will keep the business from sticking to the toilet. (most of the time)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As richfaa says, mine holds water, MOST OF THE TIME. It seems the slapping of the pedal works pretty well. Sometimes a small piece of paper will get stuck and allows the water to seep out. It always clears after we let the valve slap back or we push the paper down manually.......Water pressure seems to have something to do with it also, I think the greater the pressure the greater the rinse ability........AH, the joys of RV'ing!!!! Ya gotta love it!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was over at the local Rv earler this AM making arrangements for our Black Tank replacement and while there I was looking at the fancy upgrade johns because ours does not hold water all the time. Anothetr rv'er came over and asked me If I was going to buy one of those fancy john's and I said ..maybe as our does not hold water all the time..He said..well we have that fancy upgrade john and it does not hold water all the time....so..what to do....what to do?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Mine used to leak. The kit from Sealand fixed it. Naturally, it is made by Dometic...800-321-9886, tell them make/model of toilet.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Thanks for all the info on my toilet maybe i will find a bush