Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Mission Tire Failure

One of my Mission tires failed. Fortunately, I saw the bare cords before it actually blew out. It only had about 7000 miles and we've had the Monty for less than a year and a half. I always kept the air pressure at 80lbs. At first, I was concerned it was an axle prob that has beed described on MOC but the wear was not on just one side. The tire service co. I used took one look at the tire and said it was caused by seperation of the tire from the belt. Said they had seen it many times (on many tires) and were absolutley certain it was not caused by axle or other mechanical problems.
I'm relieved it is a tire problem, although I am disappointed that Keystone would put such poor tires on their rigs. I guess anything is ok as long as it lasts thru the one year warranty! I know I could probably get an adjustment from Mission, but I don't want any more Missions on my Monty.
Any suggestions on a very good trailer tire?

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David, contact Keystone and get the number for Tireco. They are the tire warranty outfit for Mission tires. I had probs with two of mine and submitted a claim. I replaced them with tires from Les Schwab and Tireco sent me a check for $435.00. They picked up the tires from Schwab and authorized the replacement. I was going to buy new anyway. It did take 3 months to get my check but my persistence paid off. They know these tires are defective.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
We had our RV dealer replace the Missions with Toyo E rated tires before delivery and are very satified with them.

John and Val
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Tireco sent me a new set of replacement Firestar tires - including a spare - and all I had to pay was for the mounting. They've yet to pick up the OEM tires.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As with many many other folks we had no problems with our Mission tires. We did replace them at home after 12K plus miles because we did not want to have to replace the tires while on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
Based on what I have read here and on other forums, I am going to replace my Mission tires. I am looking at the Michelin xps 235 85 R16's ribbed radials for my 3400rl-What do you folks think?
bolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bolinski

Based on what I have read here and on other forums, I am going to replace my Mission tires. I am looking at the Michelin xps 235 85 R16's ribbed radials for my 3400rl-What do you folks think?
I have Michelins on my tow vehicle but I just recently replaced all the tires on my Montana with Bridgestones. Reason? The Bridgestone sidewalls seem to be a little stiffer and I felt that would be beneficial on the rig with all the twisting and turning when parking.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
i have the michelin RIBS on my 3000rk. they did raise the trailer a bit. the combination of the RIBs and a new 5th airborne pin box made it necessary to lower the hitch in the truck bed down as low as possible. this caused a weight shift putting more weight on the truck so then i had to get air bags to try to get back to level. does it ever end?
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote