Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Cash back for fuel

Has anyone worked with American Express Business Blue? It is offering 5% cash back on fuel and wireless communications and 1% on other purchases.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Happy New Year Stiles,

While we have no experience with American Express Blue, Doris (a bean counter) has determined it is more beneficial for us to use our USAA CC instead of our United Mileage Plus CC for fuel purchases because of the cash back.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I use a Discover "Fuel Card." Get discounts and cash back.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We currently have only 2 credit cards, one offers 1% on most of our purchases. The other offers 3% on fuel. We try to remember to use the 3% card first, then use the 1% one if the $75.00 limit is exceeded at the pump.

We try to remember to call both cards several times a year, and ask what the current "deals" are. Sometimes you have to sign up for the "deals", so we do!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, go read the really fine print. I think it's when you are in the application process (you can back out). I'm not sure about the AmEx card but several I looked at had serious limitations that were not obvious in the ads.

I've used the Citibank card for several years. I reported awhile back that I was getting 5% back on fuel purchases with an annual cashback limit of $300. That was true for several years. But late this past year they reduced that to 2%. Same limit. I use that card until I hit the annual limit, then switch to my Chase card which gives 1%. With the Citibank drop to 2% I probably will no longer hit the limit.

My Chase card is 1%. They recently added a cashback reward. I got my first $100 check from them awhile back. We now have switched to using the Chase card for all purchases other than fuel. Citibank card for fuel. Our debit card is now used only when we need immediate cashback from walmart.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just don't carry a balance - defeats the savings. Many if not most CC banks are regularly scanning the customers credit reports and if you are late on a house payment or car payment, or if you do ANYTHING at all to impact your credit report - totally unrelated to your CC account - they can accelerate your interest up as high as 37%.

These banks have been pulled up now twice in front of congress over their practices - and recently over this specific practice. Unfortunately, since most congressman/congresswomen are millionaires with portfolios full of banking stocks, they are very slow to bite the hand that feeds them. Voter outrage seems to be the only thing that is prompting any motivation out of them.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have the Discover Card. They will give you 5% cash back until you spend $1500 for fuel annually then if goes to 1%. Now they have altered it to $200 or $300 per month (I forget which) with the annual at $1500.

Amex Business claim they have no limit to their rebate. I never carry a card balance. They hate me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, do you find Am Ex not accepted at many stations?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I carry a Marathon Card, it pays 5% on fuel. We make sure we pay the bill when it comes. It can be paid at a Chase bank. When I fully fuel up the 136 gallons my tanks hold, it is nice to get someting back besides a free hot dog or the 1 cent per gallon at Flying J.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Interesting Stiles, as our 1% card is Discover. Hmmmm, gonna be calling them again, I can tell you that.

But, they do give me cash back (with no charges against cash advance) at Walley World. I think it is a $60.00 limit each visit. Have not been to the cash machine in so long I cannot remember!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We use a Advanta Platinum Business Card Its master card so all stations use it as you are going to have truoble with amer express at lots in the south. go on www.advanta.com
they pay in a check 5% on all gas or repairs to a car truck . they also pay on diesel as shell card won't pay on diesel... yes you have to pay in full every month or your savings are gone to interest.. i only use it for car/truck expense john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #12
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I used to have a AAA credit card that paid 5% back on fuel purchases but got burned by two things. First, diesel purchases did not count. Secondly, they tried to get their money back by posting a payment I made after the due date so they could get the $35 late fee. The problem is I had transferred full payment to them six days before the due date. They tried to tell me it can take up to 7 days to post a payment. Needless to say their card went into the shredder after they tried to pull that one. The moral of the story is to read the fine print.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We got a Shell CITI card. 5% off fuel and 1% off all else. 5% everything for the first 60 days up to $300. The drawback is that it doesn't include diesel (I buy alot of unleaded anyway so that's ok) and the cashback is credited each month towards you next months purchess of Shell fuel only. Kind of gimicky but it works for me because I buy alot of Shell fuel anyway. If you put everything on a card (as I do) and pay it off each month you can save quite a bit of cash. $88 bucks last month. Almost a tank full!
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I applied for and received the Amex Blue card that you are asking about. I specifically wanted it for the cash back. After 3 months' use, I came to the conclusion that the fine print is true - the company you purchase fuel from must be "signed up with American Express in order for the benefits to be received". I stopped using the card as I prefer to pay cash - just my thing.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote