Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeffwilliams1954

I got a reason for ya. GAS PRICES! If you window is broken or your brakes are bad, get used to seeing it. We probably will be seeing a lot more vehicles on the road like this, due to higher gas prices and people not able to pay their insurance deductibles for rock chips and proper maintenance. I agree with you Glenn, everyone should be a safe as they can, but it's the lower income folk who will be problems on the roads. Sometimes we have to ask ourselves what would we actually do if we were in their shoes? Drive old dilapidated junk cars so we can have more money in our pockets for our families. Their are a lot of people who wish we were off the roads as well. You have to be able to see through both sides of every window, in and out.
Well Jeff you know you are almost right on the money. As far as the "lower income folk who will be problems". Believe me when I say "I've been there, done that and it wasn't fun.
When I was married to my 1st wife we had 2 young children. I was paid weekly and every Friday I'd pay what bills I could and than had to figure out how I was going to make it until next payday on just 15 bucks. 15 bucks to buy groceries, gas for the dilapidated old wreck sitting at the curb. Back than PA had inspections every 6 months and because my wrecks wouldn't pass inspection without high cost I'd buy, on time of course, another dilapidated old wreck that would pass. Thank God there weren't any emissions tests back than. There were many spells where I couldn't find another wreck I could afford and had to rely on mass transit. Yes, mass transit is a bit inconvenient but it beats constant auto repairs, auto insurance and auto payments. Most of all mass transit is a whole lot safer than a car with poor or no brakes.

In a nut shell I have looked through both sides of the window but on either side of that window my family always came first and there was no way in "H" I would risk my families lives driving an unsafe car.

Quote:
quote:Sometimes we have to ask ourselves what would we actually do if we were in their shoes?
Don't have to ask as I've been there but I tightened them shoe strings and survived. Lucky?? Maybe. Determined?? Absolutely!

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #22
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I've had to do them annually except for my 2006 skipped this year. Maybe the newer diesels are biennial here.

I've never complained about taking diesel, or the gassers in for the test. If anything is wrong, its almost always covered by warranty for the first 100K miles.

Certainly nothing wrong with clean air.
The Colorado test chnaged this year to bi-annual for us now. New diesel trucks are now exempt first 4 years like gassers.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

New diesel trucks are now exempt first 4 years like gassers.
Thanks for the info Clyde! New - does that mean my '06?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #24
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

New diesel trucks are now exempt first 4 years like gassers.
Thanks for the info Clyde! New - does that mean my '06?
Sorry Brad, new means "new" as in 2008's purchased at the dealer. You still gotta take your '06 in next year again. (Remember to get the beer cans out first!)

I assume the rules are similiar for diesels as gassers; if they're sold or traded in the first 4 years, they do require a test at the time of resale.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Clyde
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #26
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:

Thanks Clyde
No problem Brad. see you in the Louvered Tailgate thread......lot more action there.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #27
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Florida as stated had emission testing some 10-20 years ago.

They looked at the map of their state (my state) and said..
"what the hey"..no smog here, why? because we are a peninsula with wind comin and goin, tourists, comin and goin, and only light industry to boot.

Florida may have a few junkers however, Florida state law does require cracked windshields to be replaced or tickey. Auto insurance has to pay initially for such windshields. Some states in our travels must not have that requirement, yet they have inspections? I'm confused, but I stay that way.

No government entity should control my life or my vehicles. They can't even agree what day it is in Tallahassee and even DC. Sorry for all that!!! With the bowl effect in California I can only guess why smog is such a problem plus all the vehicles, etc.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

No government entity should control my life or my vehicles.
hahahahaha - ya right .
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #29
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
What is "defined" as "low income ppl"? I cant afford a new fiver or new truck every few yrs!! Of course I dont owe anyone anything either! So I will just figure myself "lucky" , poor but without payments!! hehe : )
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #30
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have SD plates, but visit colorado for a long time, my daughter has a 1/2 ton(gas)truck and the county she lives said this year no more checks, I'm not sure if that is diesel also. but it appears to be by county in colorado.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #31
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Little info from Bob Lutz on diesel emissions.
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ng_back_w.html
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #32
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

I have SD plates, but visit colorado for a long time, my daughter has a 1/2 ton(gas)truck and the county she lives said this year no more checks, I'm not sure if that is diesel also. but it appears to be by county in colorado.

Bob
When we left CO 4 years ago it was only the Front Range counties (along the mountains). Our county (Larimer) only had it for 7000ft and below.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

I have SD plates, but visit colorado for a long time
I guess if you're going to pollute here and work here Bob, you ought to help me pay for your taxes to live here