Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
jjparker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6196
Send a message via AIM to jjparker Send a message via MSN to jjparker Send a message via Yahoo to jjparker
Black Tank Sprayer Flush Problem (not check valve)

Over the four years we have had our 3625RE, our black tank sprayer seemed to spray less and less. The water flow diminished and eventually total stopped. After determining the vacuum breaker check valve was not broken, I figured I had a plugged up black tank sprayer and went to investigate.

Keystone used The Flusher system by B&B Molders on our rig. A diagram of is on B&B Molders website.
http://www.bandbmolders.com/pdf/B_BC...terSection.pdf

On our 3625RE, the black tank is up front on the door side. The sprayer is on the front of the black tank. I emptied the black tank and raised the front of the rig to make sure nothing came out when I removed the sprayer. I removed enough screws from the underbelly cover such that I could see the sprayer. I disconnected the water line, unscrewed the Spin Weld Sprayer (manufacturer name) and removed the three Phillips head screws. Using care, I pried up the sprayer plate with a screwdriver and then pulled the sprayer out of the hole in the tank. Pulling it out with my fingers was hard because there was a band of silicone sealant around the sprayer head on the inside of the tank, but I worked it out.

There are several small holes in the sprayer. I found some small grains of sand had plugged some of the holes and crap plugged others. I used a 1/16” drill bit to clean out the holes. The original holes were just slightly smaller than 1/16” so this bit enlarged the holes ever so slightly. I thoroughly cleaned the sprayer.

When reinstalling, I applied lots of non-setting water proof silicone sealant around the sprayer and on the plate. I did not have enough room or strength in my fingers to push the sprayer into the hole past the factory applied silicon sealant band on the sprayer head so I removed that band. I reinstalled the Phillips head screws although one screw hole was stripped and needed a larger screw. I applied non-setting pipe thread sealant to the Spin Weld Sprayer and reinstalled it. Reattached the water line. After the silicone cured, I ran water into the black tank sprayer and checked for leaks. There were none and so on went the underbelly cover. I bought garden hose washers with screen nets for the hose to keep from getting sand into the black tank sprayer again.

The result is a shower sound coming from the black tank a good flow of water and brown stuff coming out. More flow than originally, perhaps because of the slightly larger holes or because the sand had always plugged the holes.

In years gone by, I tried the Sewer Solution, but there are too many bends in the sewer plumbing for it to be effective. It will pump up a slight hill if needed. I bought a flexible wand sprayer to be used down through the toilet and it was marginally effective and much more hassle. I haven’t tried one, but he Flush King is supposed to quickly fill up the tank with water to draw out the contents. For me, the sprayer in the black tank is the most efficient.

jjparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good info. I still hear a lot of spray noise when using mine. But will know what to look for if it starts to sound weaker.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Has anyone used air pressure to unplug or increase the water flow? Mine is plugged but I am too old and decrepit to drop the underbelly to do as others have- I periodically use an old school flexible extension to increase my ability to properly flush the black tank but it is unwieldy and difficult to use without some leakage inside the unit- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If the plugging material is hard like grains of sand, I don't think 40# air would push it thru if 40# water pressure doesn't. And you would not want to use very high air pressure for fear of rupturing a line or fitting.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is the reason that I take the water for the flush from a Y after my water filters. Sand can get in water lines a lot of ways (water line breaks, well pumps etc). Filtering the water first is a good precaution.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
maxjr758
Established Member

M.O.C. #18468
When I disconnect the hose from my black tank flush! Water runs out for 2-3 secs, at a little bit of pressure. Is this a indication of a malfunctioning check valve or like jjparker above I have a blockage in the wash down valve. I do hear some spraying going on in the tank but not a lot coming out after. I usually have to let it run a few minutes to get much flow.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maxjr758

...When I disconnect the hose from my black tank flush! Water runs out for 2-3 secs, at a little bit of pressure. Is this a indication of a malfunctioning check valve....
Nope, that is an indicator the check valve (actually an anti siphon valve) is doing its job.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote