Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Take a look at the cutout behind your slam latches. The inside of the door is 7/16" Styrofoam sandwiched between a 3/16" inner and outer layer of luan and fiberglass or plastic.I dunno what the R value equivalent of the assy is, but most all baggage compartment doors leak air like a sieve if you squat inside and have a buddie close the baggage doors on a windy day. They can be adjusted, but it takes a few tries to get a good seal.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:22 AM   #22
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Very cool that you have the ac figured out. Saw a few trailers out west where folks stay during winter months. They had rigid foam board as skirting to completely seal off underside of trailer. Good luck with michigan winter...sw florida is calling my name. John
Old 10-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #23
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
James, winter in michigan in your rv, interesting. Make sure you look at the hoses too, the 5th wheel isn't really set up for michigan winters, though it is in the lower part of the state.

As for heating it, except to spend money on a lot of gas.

Please report next spring, I'm sure several of us would like to know how it was.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #24
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
From the Montana High Country Literature Brochure
"Warranty for Full Time Living
4 Season Living
The Industry Leader in four season fifth wheel capabilities, Montana has been tested and approved for zero degree usage since 2005. Montana's Radiant technology insulation combined with Astro Foil technology gives you the ultimate in 4 season usage."

Now that I have seen most of the basement, my HC 375 FL it would never make it in any kind of wind or temperatures below freezing. It will take a lot of work to fix the shoddy design and almost total lack of insulation in the basement. Most of the pipes in the rear and the freshwater tank would freeze and I would have severe damage to the plumbing from the kitchen to the rear bumper.

The literature is mostly misstatements and outright untruths as to what is actually in my HC 375 FL.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #25
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You are worrying way to much,we have wintered for 5 years now in the Pacific NW in my 2004,2012 and my 2015 Monty and we get it all with snow,cold, massive rain ,High winds, and with no problems,i just have a heated hose and if it gets really cold I put a little heater in the basement,we also do not go thru that much propane as we have free Power here at the Campground and We bring out the Infrared Heater out of storage and use that with the fireplace and we are as snug as a bug in a rug
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I graduated high school in Seattle and am very familiar with the Pacific Northwest. It is like tropical paradise compared to middle and upper Michigan. I spent a November and December in a very well insulated Motorhome and ate a tank of propane every three days in addition to 3,000 watts of electric heaters. I would gladly like to be in the Pacific NW. My basement in the High Country is not nearly as well made as your Big Sky and you can read a book in it due to the unsealed uninsulated holes. You find almost no parks open after October 15th as they cannot keep their water systems working.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote