Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Air Drops at Roosevelt Lake

Moving on from Q and the Imperial LTVA etc now finds us for a couple of weeks or so boondocking along the shores of beautiful Roosevelt Lake in Tonto NF.

It's warm, sunny and super quiet. Only about 10% of the sites in our area are occupied here in Windy Hill. Thankfully the few people who are running generators are using Hondas or Yamaha so even with it so quiet out - there is no noise to ruin the scene.

The last two nights at sunset we had an interesting group of visitors..

Check out our two blog posts.

The First Days Post

The second days post

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Always nice when friends "drop in". Speaking of which, why don't you drop in when we have lunch at Porter's in Superior on the 11th? We'd love to have you!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Always nice when friends "drop in". Speaking of which, why don't you drop in when we have lunch at Porter's in Superior on the 11th? We'd love to have you!

Actually Dick I am contemplating coming. Currently the "schedule" has us at Roper Lk State park on the 10th and 11th.
Then Rockhound in Demming NM the 12th-14th.
Then we hit the road and have reservations at Matagorda Bay Nature Park on the Texas Gulf Coast by Corpus (12+hrs) on the 16th so on the 15th I have to put it in "Trucker Mode" All this hanging around in the desert boondocking has made me lazy this winter when it comes to butt time behind the wheel.

If I skip Roper Lake we will come.

We can't skip Rockhound as we have to go back and fill our pockets up with rocks.

At Q, Dick Driver got me hooked on rock polishing (Damn you Dick ) and I went out and bought a rock tumbler and have been filling our pockets up since.

We'd like to make it if we can so let's see how the next week or so develop.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
My Dad and I spent a lot of weekends bass fishing that lake back in the 60s and 70s, but dang that some serious bass fishermen, air dropping into the hotspots. Are ya doing any fishing while there?
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
No fishing. We've had bad colds the past two weeks and are just getting over them. Wasn't even able to enjoy a decent happy hour till last night.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Hope you all get well soon, and wet a line if you get a chance. Frying fish and cocktail hour goes together so good. Enjoy
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Quote:

Actually Dick I am contemplating coming. Currently the "schedule" has us at Roper Lk State park on the 10th and 11th.
Then Rockhound in Demming NM the 12th-14th.
Then we hit the road and have reservations at Matagorda Bay Nature Park on the Texas Gulf Coast by Corpus (12+hrs) on the 16th so on the 15th I have to put it in "Trucker Mode" All this hanging around in the desert boondocking has made me lazy this winter when it comes to butt time behind the wheel.

If I skip Roper Lake we will come.

We can't skip Rockhound as we have to go back and fill our pockets up with rocks.

At Q, Dick Driver got me hooked on rock polishing (Damn you Dick ) and I went out and bought a rock tumbler and have been filling our pockets up since.

We'd like to make it if we can so let's see how the next week or so develop.

I feel your pain. I got Sue a rock polisher at 'Q' the single bin Mini-sonic Model Mt-4SV, and then a double-drum at Harbor Freight, the original went Tango Uniform, got another from them and it is working...so far. We found a great place for Apache Tears, as many as you can pick up and carry. She has a bunch in the tumbler. Her Fluorite is in final polish. We found a Flourite mine, on top of a short mountain, great site, it was just full of good rocks.
Demming.... we are headed that way, any tips for the area..rock wise?
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz,

Rockhound State Park just outside of Deming. We stayed there on the way out (just cause it looked like a neat place - hadn't gotten bitten by the rock bug yet) Great Park on the side of a mountain. About 20 sites with Elec and water. Dump in the park. Great views and Verizon plus many OTA Channels as the antennas are on the Mountain you are parked on the side of.

I did a post on the blog. Its got some photos of the area.

Here

and here.

It is a gem hunters paradise ( quartz geodes, jasper, pearlite) and they have trails to the good collecting areas... they allow you to take up to 15lbs per day.

We will be there the 12th 13th and 14th.

They have about 30 sites but only put a handful on the reservation system so they are usually booked. They will usually squeeze someone in the overflow if nothing is available plus there are many RV Parks in town if you prefer that sort of venue.

If you like rocks.... its THE place to hit on the way home.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we stay in Deming several times a year I can tell you that once you get the rock bug you need the G614's. Rockhound State Park is a neat place and rock hounding around that area is also productive. If you go to the next park down the road, however, leave the Monty at Rockhound. It's a great place to picnic, but it is the place I posted that 11% grade sign from.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

Agree!!!

Ditto

(X2)
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Mynabird.... I think its better than 50/50 that we'll be able to make it.

Lets see what the weather looks like next week as that will be the decider.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Moving on from Q and the Imperial LTVA etc now finds us for a couple of weeks or so boondocking along the shores of beautiful Roosevelt Lake in Tonto NF.

It's warm, sunny and super quiet. Only about 10% of the sites in our area are occupied here in Windy Hill. Thankfully the few people who are running generators are using Hondas or Yamaha so even with it so quiet out - there is no noise to ruin the scene.

The last two nights at sunset we had an interesting group of visitors..

Check out our two blog posts.

The First Days Post

The second days post
Oh man,now you "let the cat out of the bag"....they'll have those 435 sites full in no time! Bet 10% would only be on the weekend too! Glad you liked my recommendation...we love it there for the very same reason you found.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote